Archinect
anchor

Heard any good ideas lately?

dithyramben

No just architecture, but anything, art, money, science, religion, futures, politics, polemics, ...

What's the best idea you've heard all week?

Oct 27, 06 3:35 pm
Ms Beary

our office decided to close at 2:00 today! 21 more minutes!

Oct 27, 06 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

We had an elevator inspector here, and he wanted to test the elevator smoke capture and exhaust system, so one of the mechanical engineers brought in some cigars, and we smoked in the elevator, without fear of a $500 fine or up to 90 days in jail!

Oct 27, 06 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Also, it's 4:00, the boss in on a confrence call, and I'm skippin out early!

Oct 27, 06 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

its been raining for two straight days and its about 45 degrees outside. in ten minutes im going home, feeding the cat, putting on some sweats, uncorking a bottle of old vine zin, poppin in a dvd and hangin out...

Oct 27, 06 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
e

a friend of mine just called and wants to play poker and drink some good beer tonight. best idea i've heard all week.

Oct 27, 06 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

tina decided to make the reservations for our every christmas to ashland, ohio trip. she made them first class because the difference between 900 and 1900 was 'only' 1000$.
thats like my round trip ticket to istanbul.
needless to say, i've found 2 rt tickets to cleveland for 600 and seats are by the emergency exit ;)
i called her back to cancel her reservations.

Oct 27, 06 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I have an idea to put a breathalyzer on my cel phone...will prevent those late night drunken booty-call text messages

Oct 27, 06 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Vado rain is headed my way....and just got off the phone and told my client I wanted to cancel our 9:00 am saturday meeting and moved it to Sunday afternoon cause I have a Sunday morning meeting with another Client. Wondering if the second client might cancel cause he is flying into the nyc and the weather is going to be nasty, nasty. Just hope I don't loose power cause of high winds cause I don't have a lap top. On the other hand maybe I will get pissed it happens and forget about making all that extra weekend money.

Oct 27, 06 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

the "this thread or that" thread was a great idea!

Oct 27, 06 6:52 pm  · 
 · 

I bought a ticket to Julieta Venegas at the Fillmore. best idea I had all week.

Oct 27, 06 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
24-7tecture

don't eat the paint chips!

Oct 27, 06 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
word!

cellphones that come with built in beer bottle openers.. sell the idea to you for 1 million...

Oct 27, 06 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i'm selling used pennies for a dollar.... email me and i'll give wholesale prices

2:37am

Oct 27, 06 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

disposable computers or a laptop with a built in A0 flat bed scanner whoa!

Oct 28, 06 12:10 am  · 
 · 
punky_brewster

good idea, if a bit unethical... a buddy of mine took his two week vacation, but instead of taking vacation, he started a new job, when his vacation ran out he called in sick every day for two weeks before he quit. twice the money in one month. he's an ass.....

Oct 28, 06 12:14 am  · 
 · 
AP

Florida/Georgia football weekend,
the world's biggest outdoor cocktail party,
downtown Jacksonville,
pouring down rain,
80,000 soaking-wet drunk people.

Oct 28, 06 12:14 am  · 
 · 
eenie

I need to start looking for an apartment

Oct 28, 06 1:40 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

here's a good idea: listen to kexp.org

Oct 28, 06 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
dithyramben

How about using earth's satellites to broadcast human civilization to possible extraterrestrial intelligences?
(courtesy Rene Daalder)

Or architecture that grows like an ectoplasm?
(courtesy Francois Roche)

Oct 28, 06 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
Sotthi

# To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the
toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour,
then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes
stains from vitreous china.

# To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers:
Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

# To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour
a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubbleaway the corrosion.

its what I heard.

Oct 28, 06 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
binary

the works and aluminum foil in a 20 oz................. about 1/2" of works....1 sq ft of aluminum foil

2:37am

Oct 28, 06 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

...and then after you use the coca-cola to clean the toilet, rinstead of flushing, remove what's left and place into a large stock pot. Add a whole chicken. Cover with aluminum foil. Cook for an hour. Walla – coca-cola chicken! Now that's gross:)

K

Oct 28, 06 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Sotthi, the chrome bumper cleaning thing actually does work - as my husband's hotrod will attest.

Oct 28, 06 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

But ya know what's NOT a good idea? Scheduling a meeting for 9am Monday morning when you should know it means you'll be working on Saturday night.

Oct 28, 06 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

Good point LB – been there, done that (about a million times). When will we learn?

Oct 28, 06 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

Doesn't everyone wish they were employed with Google at the time they started their business? I recall some of the stories about Microsoft's beginnings – now many of the secretaries that stared with the company received stock early on and have long retired as millionaires:)

Oct 28, 06 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Cities that offer free bikes should have a rack much like the rack for carts at airports. You pay a little deposit, and get it back when the bike is locked. When you abandon a bike, a homeless person happy returns it for the loot. Also, this localizes the locations for pick up - spaced in walking distance from eachother. What if you can't find a bike because it is behind your building? What a pain.

Oct 29, 06 12:02 am  · 
 · 
punky_brewster

liberty bell, just be glad it's daylight savings weekend....so you'll have a whole extra 'hour' to prepare....

Oct 29, 06 12:03 am  · 
 · 
garpike

I met the son of an original Microsoft hippy. He said Bill calls his old hippy friends with stock tips. That's all he does these days.

Oct 29, 06 12:03 am  · 
 · 
garpike

First law of thermodynamics.

The increase in the internal energy of a thermodynamic system is equal to the amount of heat energy added to the system minus the work done by the system on the surroundings.

Oct 29, 06 1:54 am  · 
 · 
AP

garpike, Copenhagen has [had?] "city bikes" that are just as you describe...nevertheless, many of them were lost, stolen or rendered un-usable within the first year of their launching...

Oct 29, 06 10:41 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

AP --- just a small correction ; Copenhagen had "free" bikes for many years now but the "design is hopeless it is solid tube deck and they are very bad to ride, ------ exactly just to make them a bad price for thives they seem to be designed as the vorse bikes ever, they are a little better than walking guess top speed unless you what to be shaken apart is round 9 Km.H. not double walking speed but nearly. NO ONE would ever buy one and the pieces are useless as repair stock for any other bike.
------ there are stands all over the town but late summer halve of the bikes are so dameaged that even they are "free , ---- you lock a coin that you get back when you place it in one of the stands -- it is only tourists that use them.

Oct 29, 06 11:33 am  · 
 · 

idea: ban leaf blowers.

these non-emissions-protected gas hogs are the ultimate in watching-out-for-#1-and-damn-the-rest.

you blow all of your leaves from your tree out into the sidewalk and onto your neighbors' yards so that you don't have to rake, meaning more work for everyone else. so completely not neighborly. ban 'em.

Oct 29, 06 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

AP, I knew about the free bikes in Copenhagen. And there are a few cities in the US that do it as well - yellow bikes. My idea is to lock them at stations. Not sure if they did that in Denmark. But I could see how a minimal deposit wouldn't stop someone from tossing one in the canal.

When I rented a bike in Rotterdam, there was a lock attached with the key in the lock, so I could choose to use it. Of course I did as there was a fear someone else would lock it for a laugh. Leavig the key in is a good way to remember to protect your deposit.

Steven, I agree. I HATE windblowers. The gardener at the apartment next to mine blows trash around 6 days a week (I think it's a write off). It does nothing but reposition the crap.

Oct 29, 06 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I think vinpust is saying solid tube tires. Yeah, I heard these were bad. There is a company out there that makes pretty nice solid tires, but probaby too pricey for city bikes.

Sorry, vindpust. I missed the comment about coins. My idea is not new. Oh well. But it seems the problem is with the quality of bikes. What about a more significant deposit on a nicer bike?

Oct 29, 06 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
AP

nice...

the [url=http://www.zipcar.com/]zip car[url] operates with a similar model:
In the fall of 1999, our two Zipcar founders were sitting in a café, excited about a concept they had seen in Berlin while on vacation. Cars were parked around the city for members to drive by the hour instead of owning their own vehicles. They had a Eureka! moment (or maybe it was more like, "Duh! What an obvious idea.") They put an American spin on it - outfitting the cars with wireless technology, creating a hassle-free reservation system and strategically placing the cars around key cities and neighborhoods. In June of 2000 the first Zipcars were on the road. The masses could now drive cars by the hour or day - on their terms.

Oct 29, 06 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
AP
/!
Oct 29, 06 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

No what I mean is that the bikes in Copenhagen id pressed out of solid steel plate ,weigh a Ton and as they all carry some defect --- they even have a chain a standard bicycle chain ang guess what ; it's off on halve of them and the tire are like a round rope hard as how hard solid rubber now is, beside just in front of your eyes , somone placed a two square foot "map" of Copenhagen , ------ and Yes a competetive city bike would be just a great buisness oppotunity , bet most tourists would be happy paying the double , getting somthing that you don't need to walk away, while the design still carry a chain, a chain that ofcaurse will fall off and if you try repair it, will ruin your day.

Oct 29, 06 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
Sotthi

lol@katze

I'll raise you another:

# To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into
the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake.
Thirty minutes before ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.

lol

@lib.bell, that makes me feel so good! lol

Oct 29, 06 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
Sotthi
Katze

Ham & coca-cola for Sotthi :)

Oct 29, 06 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Awe Steven Leaf Blowing Season is upon us her in New England. I always have one of those moments when I want to kill my neighbor with his gas powered leaf blower....then I realized I could leave him to his task at hand, when I noticed he was smoking while blowing leaves with basicly a can of gas on his back. I just smiled and waved.

Oct 29, 06 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

Gas and flame - what a kick. Funny story.

Oct 29, 06 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

snooker, too good.

Katze, my aunt makes pork chops in ginger ale.

Oct 29, 06 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

AP, two of the people I worked with in Philly were Car Share members. Makes a lot of sense in the city, honestly. A couple mishaps with scheduling uses, but compared to the cost and hassle of owning a car in the city, made much more sense.

Oct 29, 06 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

pork chops in ginger ale...ok, I can deal with that (just don't tell my husband) – it's better than pork chops and Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup:) I'll have to invite you over to dinner sometime to have a real meal created by an executive chef:) Ok, so I am being a real big brat – but I haven't cooked in a gazillion years because someone special creates the most out of this world entrees for me and they are the most spectacular meals on this planet:)

Oct 29, 06 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

tarkan

is the biggest pop star pepsi dog in turkey.

and also cleans toilet bowls, chrome and cooks into a delicious suace for chicken/chops

thanks abra!

Oct 29, 06 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Pynchon called Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup the Universal Binding Ingredient, which was a pretty good descriptor if not a great idea.

Oct 29, 06 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

esp. if you are a fan of tuna noodle casserole :)

Oct 29, 06 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
punky_brewster

if you don't like Pynchon, try Python, always a good idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9-zOKYs7x0

Oct 30, 06 12:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: