Archinect
anchor

lukeyouell

I'm currently in my first year of university, part of my project is to complete a brief design & access statement for my proposed development design.

I would just like some feedback on what I have done, seeing as though this is my first attempt at this sort of document.

"APPLICATION SITE APPRAISAL

The application site is currently a relatively flat, open-area used as a car park located in Mabgate between St. Mary's Street and Argyle Road. The land rises slightly from front to rear and the boundaries are marked with use of fencing.
The site is accessed from Mabgate, vehicular access is available.

LAYOUT

The site will include one six-storey building containing 41 apartments.

SCALE

The structure measures 76 metres in length, 18 metres in width and stands at a height of 18.5 metres.

DESIGN PROPOSAL

Overall, the applicant aims to achieve a high standard of design and the following considerations have therefore been taken into account
1. The 41 apartments will provide accommodation aimed at single occupants, couples and families.
2. 27 apartments are designed for single occupants or couples, 7 designed for families and another 7 located on the first-floor have been designed to accommodate disabled occupants.
3. The proposal is designed in such a way that it does not stand out too much from it's surroundings, so the materials used are pretty similar to some of the surrounding structures.
4. The ground floor of the proposal is a residential car park that has been designed to accommodate 48 vehicles, this is to reduce the impact the proposal has on the local demand for parking spaces.

HIGHWAY CONSIDERATIONS

There are no Highway Considerations relevant to this proposal as the existing access from Mabgate is to be used.

TREES and HEDGES

As there are no trees or hedges located on the whole of the site, it is suggested that no further landscaping is necessary.

FLOODING

Flooding details on the Environment Agency website have been checked and there are no flooding implications for this site.

ACCESS

The application is in an ideal location as it can be approached from the A64 & the A61 main roads. There are many transportation links such as buses and the train station located in the nearby city-centre.
The proposal includes a car park for 48 vehicles and the surrounding area has many setting down points and dropped kerbs.
The application's has an appropriate use of surface materials consisting of tarmac for the car park, stone tiles for the entrance staircase and the building is carpeted through-out.
There is disabled access by means of using the fitted wheelchair elevator located at the main entrance.

MEANS OF ESCAPE

In the event of a fire or emergency there are two exits, one based in the car park of the building and the main entrance to the building, both of which can be accessed from the main staircase that runs through every floor of the building.

CONCLUSION

Overall, therefore, the enclosed application presents a scheme that is appropriate for the setting of the site, with the intention to provide a sympathetic scale and the aim of suiting it's surroundings at an appropriate level."

Does this seem like it will suffice? I've gone over as many topics I could think of.

Any feedback will help.

Cheers!

Apr 29, 12 11:04 am
Rusty!

Cripples can only live on ground floor yet they still have to take something called fitted wheelchair elevator? 

No landscaping of any kind? 

Each story will be over 3 meters in height?

I like the part where you say "Overall, therefore,..." 

Have a friend fix all the grammar/syntax errors for you.

Apr 29, 12 11:35 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: