Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

Living in Gin

Yeah, I'm in bad shape here as well, mentally and physically. I feel like I've proposed to five beautiful women who are all completely out of my league, but I won't be getting an answer until sometime over the next few weeks.

Or something like that.

I've been completely upfront with my bosses over my grad school plans, so at least I don't have to keep this a secret from anybody, and they have at least some understanding of why I've been acting like a cat in a room full of rocking chairs lately.

Mar 2, 07 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

hoo man...pretty much no one at my company knows about my plans for a complete career change, let alone grad school. maybe i should send something to postsecret to assuage my guilt and paranoia.

have to admit, i'm glad there are a lot of people (new and regulars) posting here today. it's like getting email all day long. not as satisfying as getting a decision, but a soothing analog nonetheless.

Mar 2, 07 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

AHAAAHAHAHAHH!!!!

AHAHAHAAAAAH!!!!

The email was a good one! A very good one!

It's not an official acceptance. However it was another guy in the department that said that my application had crossed his desk, and it had been reviewed "very favorably". And although there was nothing official until I received a letter from Dean Ma, there had been a recommendation of acceptance "with financial assistance".

YAY!

Mar 2, 07 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Did I say YAY!

I meant WOO HOO!!!!

Mar 2, 07 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Excellent! Congratulations, WonderK!

Mar 2, 07 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Is it o.k. if I do a WOO HOO for you?

Mar 2, 07 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Please do a WOO HOO for me!

Mar 2, 07 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

· 
Living in Gin

Congrats!

· 

yayyyy! Congratulations! Do you mind my asking who the 'other guy' was? Was it the same 'other guy' we both know, or the other guy that I mentioned to you was a broken record on sustainability?

Mar 2, 07 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
alfrejas24

congrats!

Mar 2, 07 5:18 pm  · 
 · 

oh, and might I add that when USC decides to assist you financially, it is nothing to sneeze at. My fifth year a 6k fellowship just magically appeared on my financial aid account, and the explanation was simply, "The Dean of financial aid found a few one-time awards, and decided to give one to you"

Mar 2, 07 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

congrats! So great! Hurray for WonderK!

Mar 2, 07 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

What program did you apply to at USC WonderK? M.ArchII or the 4-2 Program?

Mar 2, 07 5:20 pm  · 
 · 

Jealousy has set in quickly. There had better be a big, fatty envelope from CCA in my mail box this evening!

Mar 2, 07 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

A hearty congrats WonderK!

Mar 2, 07 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Yeah, where's mine?! LET'S GET HER!!!

Mar 2, 07 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

WHOOOHOOO WONDERK!!!

OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!

*happydance on behalf of wonderk*

Mar 2, 07 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

great news wonderk!!!!

Mar 2, 07 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Man, I guess I have to find another squeeze now.

Mar 2, 07 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Thanks, everybody!

222 > it was neither. I am applying for graduate degrees in sustainable design - I already have my professional BArch. Specifically, USC's program is a Master's of Building Science. So I am going to be a mad building scientist!

Mwahahahaha!

So, do not fret. I think in general that the MArch applications take so long to review because of the portfolios. Again, I did not have to submit a portfolio so all of mine might come back sooner.

rationalist, I can't remember who you and I talked about but this was the director of the actual program, someone named Marc? I am going to write him back and offer him my first born, er I mean, say thanks.....

Mar 2, 07 6:08 pm  · 
 · 

Schiller! Yeah, he's supposed to be awesome. He normally teaches the lighting/sound/environmental classes to the undergrads too, only he was on sabbatical my third year so I had to have someone else. Everyone I know who had Schiller said he was a pretty cool guy.

Mar 2, 07 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

baboomba, I am sorry. But not. You understand.

Mar 2, 07 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

Congrats WonderK....!!!

Now the rest of us can go wallow in our sleep-deprived caffiene-boosted mailbox-checking agony.....

Mar 2, 07 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

wonder k, i have a friend at usc's masters of building program. he loves it.

Mar 2, 07 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

oh and uber-congrats!!!

ugh. it's only march SECOND!!!!!!!

Mar 2, 07 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
NoSleep

I had a dream last night that I was accepted to UCLA with a TA position in the School of Theology??

UCLA wasn't on my app. list...??

Oh, what dreams may come

Mar 2, 07 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Mar 2, 07 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Man, I'm really starting to get worried that I won't get in anywhere. Not sure why. Just a feeling all of a sudden.

Oh, well. We'll know soon...

Mar 3, 07 8:32 am  · 
 · 

Is it really terribly that I've started calculating the probability that I'll recieve a response on certain days?

today: 16.67%
sunday: 0%
monday: 20%
tuesday: 25%
wednesday: 33.33%
thursday: 50%
friday: I'd damn well better!

Of course, each day's probability assumes that I did not recieve a response the previous day, and does not take into account the committee's tendencies towards procrastination, which would make the who think a lot more weighted towards thursday and friday.

Mar 3, 07 10:36 am  · 
 · 
w3

baboomba - it's still super early dogg. next week is the first week that most schools will start to get stuff in the mail...i know i haven't posted much to this thread but from what i've read - and seen on your portfolio you're totally competent. you said you almost had your PE? if that's the case - you're so money. somebody will want you - i guarantee it.

Mar 3, 07 11:49 am  · 
 · 
NoSleep

I spent most of last night reviewing last year's acceptance/decline dates and the majority of the letters were received after March 15, so the anxiety that is occurring is way too presumptuous of an early receipt of letters. The only school I saw that was received around next week is University of Oregon, and the Admissions Coordinator told me that those were sent out a week early in comparison to the average historical send-out date.

Rationalist, I would definitely reduce the probabilities of receiving info on the acceptance/decline next week.

Mar 3, 07 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
w3

No sleep is definitely correct. I'm applying to Clemson and received an e-mail this week stating that they were "hoping" to have letters out by next week. decisions had been made, but they were waiting on "other" information before they made offers regarding financial aid, etc.. which they would be including in their letters. i would guess that we'd be looking at similar situations across the board - decisions are probably made in most cases, but they have a decent amount of work with regards to financial aid, etc.. that they need to take care of before they mail stuff out.

Mar 3, 07 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

Yeah, you guys are right. Like I said earlier, I received a letter from Michigan last March 8 but didn't hear from the other schools until a few weeks after that. <Sigh>

Mar 3, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
w3

u.mich is posting all decisions online this year however and they said on their admissions blog that decisions should be posted "by the first week of march." which is next week, and hopefully means next week. of course there are no promises with that - but I am hoping they'll follow through.

Mar 3, 07 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
w3

so i just checked my po box and found a fat envelope.
it was my REI Dividend. indeed.

Mar 3, 07 1:53 pm  · 
 · 

NoSleep, as posted earlier in the thread, my probabilities are based on CCA stating that they all applicants would be notified of their decisions by March 9th.

Mar 3, 07 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
ksArcher

hey all- anyone apply to Parsons? ... just an fyi I was admitted today by phone.. =)

Mar 3, 07 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

i applied to parsons. ack, you're totally scaring me...but congrats nontheless. wow, that was such a quick turnaround time considering their application deadline was feb 1.

Mar 3, 07 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

ksArcher, did they have any word on fin aid?

Mar 3, 07 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
alfrejas24

ks, what program if you don't mind. Thanks

Mar 3, 07 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
ksArcher

M.arch 1... more info to come in my "packet"... Lewis himself called my house...

all he said in his message (noone answered!) was that I have a scholarship award... more info on that to come I guess

Mar 4, 07 2:45 am  · 
 · 
nicey

parsons--got a phone call and scholarship offer from lewis as well...was in my car at the time and thought it was someone else calling...pretty sure i sounded like a fool. very excited, though. what are people's thoughts about parsons' architecture program?

Mar 4, 07 11:19 am  · 
 · 
broccolijet

congrats nicey!

...and i mean this in the kindest way, but shouldn't you have already formed an opinion about the program before applying?

Mar 4, 07 11:42 am  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

haha sounds like nicey just wants reassurance, btw where else are you waiting to hear from nicey?

Mar 4, 07 11:55 am  · 
 · 
nicey

definitely not looking for reassurance, simply looking for opinions. i've applied to a wide range of schools so that my fiance and i would have options--she's applying for a different masters at the same time.

and i think it's hard to form an opinion until visiting the school, especially with the dearth of comparative info on architecture programs...

Mar 4, 07 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
tokyoDrifter

Congrats to everyone who has gotten good news recently!!

To all of the Parsons people, I am a researcher here and collaborate often with the Architecture faculty. If you guys are interested in sustainable design issues I suggest trying to take a studio with Joel Towers. I've worked with him on a few projects I find him to be really insightful.

Mar 4, 07 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

tokyoDrifter, are you my friend? :)

I agree on taking a studio with Mr. Towers.

Mar 4, 07 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
tokyoDrifter

Namby, I consider myself one your very good friends, silly. :P

Mar 4, 07 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

So, people who got phone calls, how did you react on the phone?

Did you shriek and jump up and down screaming "YES!" or were you exuberant yet professional... did anyone cry?

If I get an acceptance phone call from any of my schools I am going to have to refrain so hard from yelling WOOO HAA I GOT YOU ALL IN CHECK.

Mar 4, 07 2:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: