Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

+i

y did i even worry about tracking packages through fedex and looking for signatures to verify that the schools received it... because i called the schools to verify anyways, and when they said they didnt get something i just sent the crap again.

Feb 22, 07 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
robust84

i never called mine. do they lose much? is it too late to call now? would they have contacted me? i got the email notifications of 'receipt of application' although that was often just for online app, and i didnt get anything from yale acknowledging anything.

Feb 22, 07 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
+i

idk... uva received all of my application and it even says so online, however i called to see if they had received my financial aid application and they said no (which is ironic considering it was included with everything else they received). so i had to send it again- and good thing because that would suck to get in and get no funding...

Feb 22, 07 5:18 pm  · 
 · 

There's only one school I haven't heard jack from (Pratt), and they said they wouldn't do any status-checks until March 1. So on March 1, I'll be calling up if I haven't heard anything by then.

Feb 22, 07 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

The only school I've heard anything from is Cornell, who sent me an email to let me know one of my transcripts was missing. I later called to make sure the transcript arrived, and they confirmed over the phone that it did and that my application is complete.

As for the other schools, I have FedEx emails indicating that my materials were delivered and signed for at each school, but nothing beyond that. For all I know, my portfolios could have been eaten by rats before they even got to the respective admissions committees.

As for notifications, it looks like different schools use different methods. Some use email, some use snail-mail, others call. For Yale, I understand Robert Stern personally visits your house to present your admissions packet on a velvet pillow.

Feb 22, 07 5:29 pm  · 
 · 

What an ironic object to present an architecture student with....

Feb 22, 07 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

LiG -- if your portfolio was eaten by rats or met some similar exotic fate, i think it's safe to say that maybe it just wasn't meant to be for that school. at least your stuff got to cornell. in all reality, you're probably good to go.

i'm cool with the idea of personal notifications of acceptances, as long as they don't come with a "happy ending".

Feb 22, 07 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I have to say that everybody I've dealt with at the Cornell admissions office has been incredibly courteous and helpful. I know that's small potatoes compared to curriculum, faculty, facilities, etc., but it really makes a good first impression of the school, and goes a long way toward setting the general vibe of the place. Other schools, take heed.

Feb 22, 07 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I cannot look at the 2006 thread. I just can't handle it. I hope I'm not missing anything important for my schools. I'm probably OK.

I heard this report on NPR on the way home today....it's about the college admissions process getting out of control and it mentions what we talked about a couple of pages ago regarding financial aid - the part about "holding out" for more loan money. I guess the colleges used to be able to share this information with each other years ago but that was outlawed so now the loan game is very cutthroat. Our gain?

Feb 22, 07 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

what's funny to me about that article that also seems missing from the greater debate of college admissions is the answer to the question: "what constitutes truly needy?"

i'm all for providing an education to those who might not otherwise be able to afford it, but with the already exhorbitant and constantly growing fees, that sample set is growing rapidly.

the middle class continues to get squeezed out of the elite colleges by not being rich enough to afford these fees and not poor enough to qualify for reasonable need-based aid.

so tell me again how a kid taking on a lifelong $200K debt doesn't qualify as needy?

...especially when most of the Ivies have enough endowment to cover every single student's tuition.

Feb 22, 07 8:03 pm  · 
 · 

yeeehaw! (sorry to interrupt the commiserating)

just booked an 8 day trip to the east coast in early April sans admission tickets! had to do it to make sure I got it with my freq. flyer miles.

it's either gonna be a lot of crazy open house action, or a nice vacation visiting friends and family. either way, I'm happy. though obviously happier the first way...

Feb 23, 07 1:32 am  · 
 · 
+i

i really hope i get some news next week... because i will be out of town the second week of march, and it is going to KILL me not being able to check my mailbox. i think i will make my boyfriend check it everyday for me instead ;)

Feb 23, 07 11:00 am  · 
 · 
+i

someone last year found out from uva as early as 02/27... um, that is next tuesday... holy shit

Feb 23, 07 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

It's going to start getting good next week. I'm excited.

Good luck to everyone.

Feb 23, 07 1:11 pm  · 
 · 

Either that, or it's going to start getting depressing next week.... I really don't want to start off with a rejection.

Feb 23, 07 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

It's gonna be a bloodbath.

Feb 23, 07 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
clenore

Thanks for this great thread people, and I wish you the best of luck in your MARCH. I will be applying for next year to a lot of the schools that you are applying to. Its been very useful! I hope you are all going to be pleased with your results. best!

Feb 23, 07 2:45 pm  · 
 · 

oh, one spot of joy: an update on my computer-related-disaster from back in December. I managed to revive my laptop last night after some major computer surgery. My motherboard was indeed toasted, as I discovered when I removed it and found a sticky mass of congealed margarita salt below one section of it. I had no idea that it had gotten that deep in. But a good cleaning of the plastic and a new motherboard and fan did the trick, and she's up and running once more, and I'm only $250 down from it, instead of the $1100 I was contemplating spending to replace it.

Feb 23, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

May the force be with you!

Feb 23, 07 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
theTracer

Always

Feb 23, 07 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I just got a GRE tutorial CD-ROM in the mail today. Yeah, um, thanks guys.

Feb 23, 07 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

i'm going to be traveling from mar16-apr1 for a wedding so all my letters will just be sitting in my mailbox dying to be opened. how will i handle the stress of knowing that the decision is sitting in my mailbox but i will not KNOW!? torture.

Feb 24, 07 12:49 am  · 
 · 

You make somebody check the mailbox for you, of course! While I'm out of town March 22-25th (PRIME decision time), I'll be phoning home after working hours every day and asking whether I got any big envelopes. The little ones can wait until I get back.

Feb 24, 07 11:45 am  · 
 · 
nambypambics

Oww FROCCLI that's a long time... if I were in that situation I would ask a roommate or someone trustworthy to check my mailbox a few times a week and leave or promise them money to overnight me anything from schools!!!

Feb 24, 07 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

so are GSD and Yale standard fare? it seems like everyone applies there. Anyone know what the % acceptance is for MArch I?

Feb 24, 07 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I've heard elsewhere here in archinect that GSD is around 20%, and Yale is about 7%.

Feb 24, 07 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Yale is below 10%. Not sure about GSD.

Feb 24, 07 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
NoSleep

UT Austin is 10%. Accepted approx. 40 out of 400

Feb 24, 07 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

UT Austin is actually more like 25% to 30% from this analysis. And they will give more acceptance than what will actually attend...I suspect more than 40 will get acceptance.

http://archrecord.construction.com/features/EducationChart/EducationChart_MZ.asp

Feb 24, 07 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

rumor is applications and portfolios are currently being reviewed here at Cornell, the pool is being thinned out. goodluck to all of you applying!

Feb 24, 07 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Thanks for the update... How are you finding the program at Cornell?

Feb 24, 07 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

i like it alot. i can give you the particulars if you want via email

Feb 24, 07 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist657

Does any one know the amount for UCLA? its not on that list...

this wait is killing me...i cant seem to do anything to get rid of thinking about acceptances coming in

Feb 24, 07 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Here's the M.Arch. I acceptance rates for some selected schools, according to the Guide to Architecture Schools, Seventh Edition (published in 2003):

Arizona State: 37%
Columbia: No info given
Cornell: No info given
Georgia Tech: 48%
Harvard GSD: No info given
IIT: 61%
MIT: 14%
Miami (Ohio): No info given
NJIT: 36%
Ohio State: 20%
Parsons: 50%
Pratt: 65%
Princeton: 8%
RISD: No info given
Rice: 15%
SCAD: 87%
SCI-Arc: 40%
Syracuse: 80%
U of British Columbia: 30%
UC Berkeley: 15%
UCLA: No info given
U of Cincinnati: 25%
UIC: 36%
U of Illinois Urbana: 18%
U of Michigan: 79%
UPenn: No info given
USC: 25%
UT Austin: 35%
UVA: 18%
Washington U: 69%
Yale: 9%

Feb 24, 07 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

mctwist - according to the ucla graduate division website (01-05 data)

avg # applicants: 573
avg # admitted: 182 (32% of applicants)
avg # registered: 65 (36% of admits)

Feb 24, 07 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
casual

ucla started notifying around st. patrick's day last year

Feb 25, 07 12:25 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Yay! I just finished my global warming essay for the Bartlett. I sure hope they don't ask for anything else, because that sh*t was bananas.

They are also definitely going to know that I just wrote it today or at least recently because I referenced last week's "2010 Imperative" web cast.

I'd better get in! I'm going to be even more upset now if I don't.....

Feb 26, 07 2:17 am  · 
 · 
cpnorris

When I visited UCLA last summer they said they admit 90 applicants and hope to have an incoming class of around 50.

Feb 26, 07 10:48 am  · 
 · 
baboomba

Now I am officially going nuts. I can't wait for decisions.

Tried running naked through my neighborhood. Didn't help much.

Feb 26, 07 10:52 am  · 
 · 

I hope the admit rates for Pratt and SCAD are similar for their MFA programs!

Feb 26, 07 11:58 am  · 
 · 
Chch

Gargh! i just found out my 72 page portfolio has to be condensed to 6-8 pages for Edinburgh application! *sigh* Time to get the scissors out.

PS. It seems UK/Europe deadlines are waaay later than the US, with MArch closing dates between March 31st and July 15th

Feb 26, 07 12:07 pm  · 
 · 

er, isn't that a tad overlong to begin with?

The UK/EU dates are later, but they encourage you to submit ASAP so that if you are accepted, you will have plenty of time to sort out all your visa crap.

Feb 26, 07 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
Chch

I won't go into the length issues here, as they were already discussed at length here.

Also, no Visa to sort out as I'm a UK citizen.

Feb 26, 07 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Just entering this to keep the thread near the top of the list.

Decision days are upon us.

Feb 26, 07 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

good call boomba, but this is the wrong thread for decision days...

Feb 26, 07 11:52 pm  · 
 · 

nah, this is the right one. = ) I'll certainly be sharing my results with those who've commiserated with me for the past four months before the rest of archinect.

Feb 27, 07 1:10 am  · 
 · 
baboomba

Thanks, rationalist. For the record, I'll also be posting my results here.

Really looking forward to hearing everything turns out. Again, best of luck to everyone.

Feb 27, 07 7:35 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

so - has anyone gotten any strange calls about loans yet? i just received a call from the "College Loan Corporation" about financial aid from pratt?

the guy was like, "well, once you get your award letter..."

"um, but i haven't even been accepted yet..."

"oh, well call us back when you know."

according to pratt's website, it's supposed to be about 8 weeks. i think it's a little evil to start talking loans when you don't even know if you're accepted. it makes me a little nervous.

anyone had anything weird like this happen?

Feb 27, 07 8:11 am  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

hey there L... nice to see you on archinect. If you look at last years thread I think some people encountered this problem too... if I remembered right alot of them just called the graduate office to "check up" on this and found out over the phone about the acceptance.

Feb 27, 07 10:37 am  · 
 · 
geimanj

laurilan - yes- I got the same call in a voicemail recently. I didn't know what to make of it either...

Feb 27, 07 10:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: