Archinect
anchor

CAD export to pdf

Ddot

I need to send some drawings to a client for them to distribute by email. Can anyone tell me how to make a CAD layout into a pdf (or similar viewable format) for someone without CAD?

thanks.

Jul 27, 04 9:45 am
pvb358

you can put everything in illustrator, then save that as a pdf. illustrator will save all line points but not lineweights. there is also a way to print the cad file to pdf, but i dont remember how to do that.

Jul 27, 04 9:51 am  · 
 · 
re-evolve

I find the easiest is to download CutePDF from download.com...once installed it works like a regular printer....select "paper" size and specify where you want to save...uses your lineweights and its free.

Jul 27, 04 9:58 am  · 
 · 
mark

you need acrobat distiller to print to a pdf.

autodesk's dwf format works quite well (if you're using autocad). the downside is that your client will need to install a dwf viewer to see the files. you could mail the installer to him too, but maybe it's too complicated...

info on dwf here...

Jul 27, 04 10:05 am  · 
 · 
Ddot

I think I found the solution through the autodesk DWF viewer information. Thanks for the link.

Jul 27, 04 10:18 am  · 
 · 
Josh Russell

correction. latest version of Acrobat PRO.

Jul 27, 04 10:19 am  · 
 · 
Josh Russell

if you have the latest version of Acrobat (not the reader) it has added support for exporting to a PDF from autocad. it's a lovely feature. no covnersions. just hit print to PDF. best of luck.

Jul 27, 04 10:19 am  · 
 · 
archit84

re-evolve
that cutePDF writer is fantastic
thanks for the info
it is so simple

Jul 27, 04 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
Ddot

cutePDF is excellent!

thanks.

Jul 27, 04 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
monkeyboy

which version of cutepdf should I use 1.2 or 3.0?

Jul 27, 04 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
re-evolve

cutePDF 1.2 is the printer...if all your doing is "printing" PDF from CAD that is all you really need.

Jul 27, 04 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
J3

pdf995 it's free and what we use here at the office (and at home too) sets up like a printer

Jul 27, 04 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

pdf995 is great...and the pdf works in the adobe reader.

Jul 27, 04 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
rothko67

or...you could just get a mac.

Jul 28, 04 12:15 am  · 
 · 
zip-zip

you can download a trial version of bluebeam pushbutton, they have a pdf printer driver. works straight from cad with (like the program says) with a push of a button!

http://www.bluebeam.com/

Jul 28, 04 12:43 am  · 
 · 
archiphreak

why not just plot to an eps and resave as a jpeg or pdf...save yourself the hassle of downloading more usless programs that just bogg down your computer.

Jul 28, 04 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
Jeremy_Grant

adobe distiller to pdf kicks ass

Jul 28, 04 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
ArchAngel

Acrobat distiller - flawless. 8.5x11 - Arch D - whatever.
Those pdf's really do look distilled - great lineweights.

Jul 28, 04 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
jhopkins

Distiller is the way to go, its the cleanest and quickest export. because its vectorized you can then open the pdf in illustrator for further editing without worrying about the resolution issues you'll have with eps or jpeg. and because you go through the cad print menu, you retain all your pen settings/colors/screening, which eliminates the old school way to do it, which was open the .dwg in illustrator and manually change all the cyans and magentas, etc. fyi, if you have any hatches, make sure they're solid, otherwise illustrator will explode all the vectors and you will be sitting there for awhile.

Jul 29, 04 11:15 am  · 
 · 
Ddot

Distiller is.... 'not a program we want to have to load onto all the machines.'

I couldn't believe my ears. It's just another example of the stellar leadership I so adore.

Jul 29, 04 11:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: