Archinect
anchor

resume / CV quick question

joe

more aimed at a CV, which is more thorough, but...
how do you indicate that you have done reviews and sat on crits for colleges after you have graduated and are in the field?
Also, what about exhibitions, and publications?

simply put categories that say academia, exhibitions, and publications? seems to straight forward and blah actually.
thanks

and at what point does a resume change over to a CV? I'm new to the workforce, so I generally included a lot in my resume, because I didnt have much, but now it seems things are adding up and I have to pick and choose on what to include in the "short version"

Oct 21, 06 4:11 pm
eeayeeayo

The categories you've listed are fine. People who have a large body of work or experience in a particular category often invent subcategories, and people who have only one or two items in a category often combine it with another, for example "Exhbitions and Publications".

For the guest critic sort of thing it's often done by saying "served as guest critic at the following:" and then listing the schools. I've seen people list all the individual faculty members at each school who they've been a guest critic for, but this usually looks like padding...

A resume for purposes of employment with firms, firms' marketing, etc. usually is only 1 or 2 pages and is more likely to include things like sizes and budgets of major projects completed with each firm, and to list things like competency with various software packages. Things like awards, publications, exhibitions, etc. may be mentioned briefly, in a list format. Sometimes some of these categories aren't listed at all.
A CV is often many pages long - as long as it takes to adequately describe all items in all categories. It's less common to go into great detail about professional projects or to list things like software competency on a CV, but some people do it anyway.

I have lots of versions of my resume for different purposes. When I was relatively new to the architecture workforce the most important things in getting successively better roles in firms were the projects I'd done with other firms. Being able to discuss project sizes, budgets, timelines and deadlines, contractors, team structure and my role in it, and having photos of the construction process and finished product (and "before" photos in the case of additions/renovations) were the most important factors.

Oct 21, 06 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
joe

thanks for the reply. just what I was looking for.

Oct 21, 06 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

*bump*

any archinectors got CV?

Jul 9, 07 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

im wonderin' what a CV is myself.

Jul 9, 07 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
outed

a 'cv' is a more formal kind of resume - i believe it's primarily used in more formal or academic settings (eg -if you were applying for a grant or an award of some kind).

as noted above - the cv is different simply because the information is listed out in much greater detail than a typical resume.

personally, i've kept both kinds of formats - we use the resume quite a bit in the office, but i've had to use a c.v. to put on the university web site and for various aia needs. both have different kinds of information (for example, i don't list much of my academic activities on the professional resume and don't list in great detail the professional activities on the academic cv.)

Jul 9, 07 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

thanks for clarifying

Jul 9, 07 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Why not make a resume AND a curriculum vitae?

Jul 9, 07 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

really? i thought american call it resume, the english call it CV?

they are both the same, just change the title according to the firm u applying to.

Jul 9, 07 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

The cv is commonly used in academia.

Jul 9, 07 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

I have heard that the two have some distinctions between them, but essentially, they are really the same. CVs are suppose to contain more detailed things like publication material, lectures, presentations, academia stuff (as vado pointed out) etc., but I include this sort of stuff in a resume – if it's important, you list it. The only difference in my eyes is what term is used based on location – if you live in Europe, they will call it a CV. In the states, it is a resume.

Jul 9, 07 11:20 pm  · 
 · 

no, aspect, the CV is indeed longer, and tends to contain every little accomplishment a person has ever had, while a resume is generally restricted to a single page (you can go two once you get old and really have a ton of experience), and generally contains just the highlights.

Jul 9, 07 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

just to clarify a bit. The distinction between the two are based on location and occupation.

Are you living in the United Kingdom or any part of Europe? If so, you might be able to use the terms CV and résumé rather interchangeably, as there is little difference between the two for persons residing in the UK/EU (in fact, "résumé" is rarely used.) However, across "the pond" in the United States, the chasm between a résumé and CV can be significant, as there a CV is, essentially, a type of résumé.

so where do you reside joe?

Jul 9, 07 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

In the US a CV is usually requested when you're applying for academic positions. There are some other situations I've applied for - for instance an artist-in-residence type thing, and a museum curator position - where I was asked for a CV. In the US this usually includes much more detail about academic positions, exhibitions, etc. - for example you would include detail on all the courses you've taught, faculty committee involvements, research undertaken (what, when, with whom, etc.). These aren't things I usually put on my resume, which I keep to one or two pages at all costs.

Jul 10, 07 6:34 pm  · 
 · 

say

sat on design reviews for project development and proposals

Jul 10, 07 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Eeayeeayo's original reply about customizing one's CV was excellent. I was on both the academic and professional job markets last year, and pretty much tailored a CV to each position. The major information was on all of them, of course, but particulars might be expanded upon in one version or collapsed in another, depending on the job description.

Rationalist's comment that a CV should spell out in detail "every little accomplishment a person has ever had" is true only for the Master CV that you keep for yourself, as a memory aid/reference. In my experience, you'd never send that one out to a prospective employer, even for an academic job. There, the CV would certainly hold much more detail, but not every last bit of minutiae. Even academics don't want to read about the $100 scholarship you got as a 1st year undergrad.

Jul 11, 07 11:11 am  · 
 · 

ok, I was exaggerating there. From the perspective of someone who usually only does resumes, a CV certainly seems like it contains every little thing. But yeah, I guess that's not strictly true.

Jul 11, 07 11:50 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

what!!!?? i can't pad my cv with all those $100 scholarships from high school?????

Jul 11, 07 11:54 am  · 
 · 
citizen

R,

I know that's what you meant ;-)

And it is tempting to go on and on, after so many years and wanting to tell someone all about it. I should probably send my full CV to my mom... she's the only one who'd get a kick out of reading it.

Jul 11, 07 11:55 am  · 
 · 

i just found a third year instructor's cv online. under a heading about things accomplished by students under his tutelage he's still listing an award that i won in 1989 that i no longer have on MY resume!

Jul 11, 07 11:57 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Steven, that is both hilarious and pathetic. I want to laugh AND cry for this guy....

Jul 11, 07 12:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: