Archinect
anchor

when arhitectur is too much

BLK

what do you do when you are tired of architecture?

after dealing mainly architecture all day long for a few years now, i am starting to feel tired of it. not that i do not enjoy it but i am starting to loose focus. and interest

should i try something else, or it is quite natural to happen.

Oct 20, 06 2:49 pm
weAREtheSTONES

get a new job

Oct 20, 06 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

stop being a wuse

Oct 20, 06 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
Queen of England

use your left hand

Kahn could do it with both!

Oct 20, 06 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

stop being a wuse...start being a wuss

Oct 20, 06 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

figure out if you are tired of architecture in general, or the architecture you have been a part of the last couple of years.

if your just tired of the recent work, then you need to find a way to do the work you want to do, wether it is a new job or competition or something else.

when i get a little burned out i try to throw myself into some of my other areas of interest, such as furniture design, 3d animation, or sequential artwork. eventually these other areas lead me back into architecture with some previously untested ideas.

good luck

Oct 20, 06 4:31 pm  · 
 · 

earlier this week i told one of my colleagues that i was sick of this architecture sh** and was going to go become a postman with a walking neighborhood beat. this afternoon, i found a usps job application on my desk.

Oct 20, 06 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

those bags are heavy steven. it may cause more back trouble than sittin in front of a computer. the up side is you can listen to talk radio on your headphones for the duration of your route...

Oct 20, 06 4:48 pm  · 
 · 

take a class
plant a garden
get a dog, take it on long walks (and meet other cute dogowners)
draw
paint
write

Just a sampling, but basically, try something new that you CAN get excited about, and see whether that renewed energy seeps into the rest of your life.

Oct 20, 06 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

you might have a problem with dogs, at least by being an architect you wont have the dogs trying to bite you.

if your sick of it I say take a vacation for one week and if during that week you do not critically analyze any space or object then you don't have the passion. if you do find yourself creating solutions to problems in the built space around you you will never be happy doing anything else

Oct 20, 06 4:52 pm  · 
 · 

postneo- i'd delete the words 'doing anything else' from that statement.

Oct 20, 06 4:58 pm  · 
 · 

^^ha! Architecture: can't live with it, can't live without it.

Oct 20, 06 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

"You don't have to do architecture. This isn't Russia. Is this Russia? This isn't Russia."

Oct 20, 06 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

travel... go see great architecture far away and maybe those juices will start flowing again...

Oct 20, 06 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i am keeping my pimp hand strong. just in case.

Oct 20, 06 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
SPYDER01

funny.. same thing happened to me.. so i got a job with a contractor.. still doing badass architecture.. just not drawing it now, actaully in charge of building the thing...

Oct 20, 06 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
binary

do construction or slang some chips..... mail men make some cash..... can always work the deck desk at home depot...... or practice your robot in the store window......... maybe go around town and dig small holes in people's lawns late at night............. design bird houses and build them and sell them at tradeshows.............shit on a stick and call is a corndog........ etc....

Oct 21, 06 1:14 am  · 
 · 
24-7tecture

use the force

Oct 21, 06 1:54 am  · 
 · 
BLK

till now the dog is the most interresting alternative.

Oct 21, 06 4:08 am  · 
 · 
khmay

i second the wuss comment

Oct 21, 06 10:25 am  · 
 · 
snooker

You could become a Mail Man....just like the guy who comes by my office from time to time with an architectural degree from the Orange Machine College in upstate New York. He does alot of walking all day and shoots hoops at night but he does seem happy. Hope he doesn't read this and go postal on me....cause I blew his cover.

Oct 21, 06 1:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: