Archinect
anchor

Dalhousie BEDS - Fall 2012

emilytw

LGB - I got my official acceptance letter and paid the deposit online. Susanna mentioned that we have about 3 weeks to pay the deposit. I'm still in New Zealand but the weather here isn't too nice either (its winter in the southern hemisphere!) I'm hoping for sunshine upon my return. Keeping my fingers crossed for you! How are the summer classes?

Jun 17, 12 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
maximilian

@LGB-  it is quite frustrating, but as they say: with good things come with patience. I am actually at UBC and live in North Vancouver. It's been a while since i read the whole thread, you said you were from UVIC?

Jun 17, 12 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
Nicole B

@emilytw - You aren't missing out on much here, everyone is calling it Juneuary. If you could bring some sunshine with you when you come.. That would be nice. I'm very glad to hear that you got your acceptance letter. Hopefully at this point some people may be declining their acceptance and the wait list will start moving. 
@maximillian - Yes I am at UVic. Are you originally from Van? Working towards a math degree for if I don't get in to an architecture program for next year. I have also applied at University of Manitoba.

Jun 18, 12 3:13 am  · 
 · 
maximilian

@LGB--- by the sounds of emiltw's news we will know for sure by the next three weeks! Yes I am originally from Vancouver. Oh U of Manitoba? have you heard from them?

Jun 18, 12 11:06 am  · 
 · 
Nicole B

@maximilian- No I haven't heard back yet. Their deadline was June 1st for transcripts and you don't hear until some point in July.

Jun 18, 12 11:55 am  · 
 · 
Nicole B

@emilytw - forgot to ask this earlier, but when was the deadline for you to respond for acceptance?

Jun 18, 12 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
Nicole B

Hey All. I had emailed the other day asking about sending in my transcripts, as I just received my grades for my last two classes to complete my two years. For those of us on the wait list, Susanna has said that the committee hasn't chosen to look at the wait list again yet. I know this is disappointing, but certainly took some stress off of not having heard anything. Hope this helps those of us waiting.

Jun 26, 12 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
maximilian

thanks lgb. I think mid july is where any of us will hear anything. like in this conversation, i found that wait listers got their offers on July 20th last year http://archinect.com/forum/thread/4948770/dalhousie-fall-2011

Jun 26, 12 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
sam goods

@LGB - the deadline to respond for acceptance is July 8th

Jun 28, 12 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
maximilian

I GOT A SPOT! There is hope waitlisters! hope to see in the fall ;)

Jul 4, 12 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
Nicole B

@maximillian - CONGRATS!!! Still keeping my fingers crossed to be seeing all you guys in the fall. I received my letter of acceptance from my 2nd choice school, University of Manitoba, a couple of days ago, so I will be studying architecture in the fall for sure. Still crossing my fingers for Dalhousie though.

Jul 5, 12 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
juliaweir

Congratulations Maximilian. I'm still waiting to hear. Driving me nuts!

Jul 6, 12 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
Nicole B

Hey everyone. I was just wondering if anyone who got in would be able to say what kind of supplies are needed. I have been accepted to the University of Manitoba, and looking at their supplies, they require you to have a DSLR camera, and are quite specific on computer and program requirements (if you have a mac you need to run windows on it for certain programs, etc.). I was wondering if they had sent out a list to you guys, or posted something somewhere about what you will be expected to have. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :)

Jul 12, 12 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
sam goods

Hi LGB, dal requires you to have a laptop not older than 2-3 years. It is assumed that if you have MacBook, you will be using windows side for Rhino and autocad. They said nothing about the camera, so I am thinking, it's not required. There is also supplies list of about 30 items with stuff like pencils, curves, paper, etc. And, the item that actually surprised me, construction steel-toe shoes. And we also got a list of books for the first term (about eight, I think).

Jul 13, 12 2:37 am  · 
 · 
Nicole B

Thanks for the info makaron. It is greatly appreciated. Still keeping my fingers crossed to hear from the wait list. :)

Jul 13, 12 2:45 am  · 
 · 
sam goods

Question for you LGB, how did Manitoba contact you to inform you about your admission (phone, e-mail, snail mail)?

Jul 16, 12 1:37 am  · 
 · 
Nicole B

Manitoba sent me a letter in the mail. This was kind of a bummer, as I recieved it quite a few days after it was sent, and the turn around time for responding was quite short. Did you apply there as well?

Jul 16, 12 1:45 am  · 
 · 
maximilian

Out of the people who are going to halifax, who has found housing?/ Who's still looking for a place? Maybe make me a roommate :P ?

Jul 16, 12 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
Nicole B

Too bad I don't know if I'm going yet. I'd be looking for a room mate for sure. Rent is damn expensive...

Jul 16, 12 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
cocococo

I haven't found a place to live yet but I'm looking with my girlfriend who was in residence there last year. It's been tough looking from out-of-province; most places require a viewing and we don't want to bug the few people we know in the city every time an apartment comes up. I'm not sure what we're going to do at this point but some of the larger apartment buildings might be less picky. Good luck looking, max!

Jul 16, 12 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
sam goods

2 LGB - I did, I have been waitlisted for a couple of months already. 

Jul 16, 12 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
Nicole B

Really? I only just got my acceptance to Manitoba at the end of June. I had heard nothing from them before then.

Jul 16, 12 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
Nicole B

Hey Guys! Looks like I'm going to be joining you in the fall! I got a call from Susanna about acceptance this morning!! :)

Jul 18, 12 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
stad89

I got a spot!!! keep your hopes up waitlisters. and for those looking for housing in Halifax try Fenwick towers its an older apartment building with lots of students and rent is probably pretty good. Also look at places in Bedford it's a short bus ride but rent is much cheaper. hope that helps.

Jul 18, 12 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
maximilian

WOOOOOOT we're one big happy family!

Jul 18, 12 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
Nicole B

^ If I could like posts, I would like that one. :)

Jul 18, 12 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
juliaweir

Congratulations LGB! Now if only I would get in!!! I did have a dream that I was 18th on the waiting list and I eventually got in. Let's hope this plays out like my dream. I want to be in the architecture program so badly. Everyone keep their fingers crossed for me.

Jul 18, 12 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Just a word on housing: Fenwick isn't particularly cheap unless you find roommates; then its average at best. I would not suggest living far enough away from the Medjuck Building that you require a bus to get there (living close is nice when you only have 4-5 hours of sleep). Ideally you want to look for an apartment in the South End; check Kijiji because there's plenty of great stuff there.

Good luck in the BEDS program

Jul 19, 12 7:23 am  · 
 · 
ThatKid

BenC speaks the truth . 4-5 hours of sleep is a good nights rest btw ;)

Jul 19, 12 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
juliaweir

I GOT IN! Can't wait to see you guys in September! Woo Hoo!

Jul 31, 12 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
Hathor

Hi all,  

Ben C is correct about the 4-5 hrs sleep, so being near the school is good and prefered. But don't let that restrict where you live. I live across the bridge in Dartmouth (where rent is way cheaper)  and managed fine through out the Beds program. 

See you in the Fall.

Aug 15, 12 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
peter1

Hi,

I am a BEDS student off to do my work term and have a great flat 1 block away from school with 2 rooms to rent from September - January.

Rent is $450 a month. 

contact me - [email protected] if you are interested.

Aug 27, 12 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
juliaweir

Has anyone heard anything more about our orientation week? I haven't received any information about it. 

Aug 28, 12 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
Hathor

I can tell you a little bit about the orientation schedule since I'm one of the M2 students that is helping out with it. Please note the following info is still in draft form and is not set in stone. I'm sure an official email will be sent out once the schedule has been finalized. But so far orientation is:

Wednesday 5th                                                                                                                                 11:30am - 4pm : Welcome and Introductions, Tours of the campus, desk sign up              (12:30-1:30 Lunch)

Thursday 6th                                                                                                                                             10:30am - 4pm :  Intro to BEDS, Workshops, Student photos                                                    (12-1 Lunch)                      

Friday 7th     10am-5pm: Workshops                                                                                               (12-1 Lunch)                                                                                                                                                                        

I hope that helps a bit. I do have a more detailed schedule as to what the workshops are, other possible activities, etc but since they are not finalized  that wouldn't help you much.  As I mentioned I'm sure an email will be sent out as soon as everything is finalized (what rooms each workshop is taking place, which of the senior students are doing what etc etc)

But feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

See you at the orientation, I won't be there on the Wednesday, but I will be Thursday and Friday  :)

Aug 29, 12 11:03 am  · 
 · 
Bench

I wuv hathorz

Aug 29, 12 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
Hathor

Awww. Miss ya BenC.

Aug 29, 12 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
juliaweir

Thanks Hathor for the Orientation information. Still haven't received an email regarding it so I guess I'll just show up tomorrow at 11:30! Seems weird we haven't heard anything yet.

Sep 4, 12 9:37 am  · 
 · 
Hathor

That does seem odd. I know they sent it out a few days ago. I assume you have your dal email account up and running, this is how the school contacts everyone. If not set it up as soon as you can, as this will be very important through the school year. (I know last term some of us had problems receiving emails from the school, but I had assumed this was fixed now). But either way if you email me at     [email protected]    I can forward you the copy of the orientation schedule.  Also we just got the class time table emailed out to us to if you didn't get that either.

Sep 4, 12 11:33 am  · 
 · 
juliaweir

I actually received an email like 20 minutes ago about orientation! Thanks though. I'm a previous dal student as well so my email has been set up for a few years now. I didn't get a class schedule though but I can see that on dalonline. Thanks for your help!

Sep 4, 12 11:41 am  · 
 · 
Hathor

No problem, anytime. See you at orientation. Have fun.

Sep 4, 12 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
pratik

Hey everyone,

I would like to apply for BEDS program for Fall 2013. I wanted some information on GPA requirements and portfolio.

I have a GPA of 3.63, do you think that will be enough to get me an admission?

Also, for portfolio I only have sketches... I was wondering if I can have a look at someone's portfolio who has been accepted for the program to give me an idea.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Sep 18, 12 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
cocococo

I think your GPA would be just fine. In terms of portfolio I think it's hard to generalize and giving you an example would probably be misleading. I had a variety of photos, sketches, and sculptural pieces but I know that others did focus on sketches, etc. My advice would be to keep working until the deadline so you have many things to choose from. I started late and was adding things until pretty much the last day. Somehow it worked but I wouldn't recommend it.

Sep 29, 12 8:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: