Archinect
anchor

greenspace and balconies on mid / high rise office buildings

Looking for precedents of occupiable balconies or green space on mid to high rise office buildings. .

I've seen a lot of renderings, but not a lot of actually built projects

Any thoughts ? suggestions ?

Apr 25, 12 4:19 pm
holz.box

institut fuer umweltmedizin, pfeifer roser kuhn

lufthansa aviation center, ingenhoven

european investment bank, ingenhoven

commerzbank hq (35th floor), foster

Apr 25, 12 5:48 pm  · 
 · 

hey holz.box nice to see you around here dropping the science as usual!

Apr 26, 12 8:04 am  · 
 · 
c

holz b  -thanks for those.

what  about greenspace that is on upper levels .. accessible balconies are not common in mid- high rise projects.

I'm in the early phase of a project with a group that would actually consider occupiable balconies on a mid-rise commercial project and I  desperately want to show them some built precedents to encourage them ..

Apr 26, 12 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Look at some of WOHA's projects for interesting high rise open spaces in tropical climates. But, if the project you're looking at is in a temperate climate, know that open spaces above the 8th floor or so will be essentially uninhabitable most of the year.

Apr 26, 12 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
c

because of wind ? or just because they're non-conditioned ?

we're trying to get occupiable balconies on a 20+  commercial tower ?

Apr 27, 12 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

hey nam,

still lurking, but not as much as i used to. between work/kid/blog/volunteer activities taken on - it's hard to find the time!

Apr 27, 12 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Any data on the performance of the Commerzbank?  My friends in finance in Germany inform me of the high maintenance cost and lack of performance as promised in that tower...

Balconies should be doable if they're between skins.  wind/weather proofing/maintenance ought to make the cost pretty high; though you do see them a lot on residential towers.  Any number of green roof/wall applications ought to work, though plant health becomes far more difficult away from direct air flow and sun light.

Apr 28, 12 12:08 am  · 
 · 

this is deck/balcony for project we proposed recently in tokyo

it is 8 floors distributed over height of 15 story building.  it seems reasonable at mid-rise levels but for truly tall buildings i have been told that wind becomes too much of an issue.  guess that is when some kind of atrium system would need to be used.  sure would be fun to try.

stefano boeri is working on project where it is green all the way up though, so maybe there are ways to make it work.

Apr 28, 12 3:17 am  · 
 · 
royc

Ken Yeang has done a bunch of stuff like that.

May 6, 12 6:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: