Archinect
anchor

??? ways to generate extra income after work hours or over the weekend

auvn

what type of works (somewhat related to our profession) we might do to get some extra income and gain some more experience?
how you let people know that you offer design related service?
and more....
if you have some experience or know how please share. Thanks

Oct 18, 06 12:44 pm
bucku

i have won $150 this week in house games playing poker.
dont think that really relates to the profession aside from, well, nothing.

Oct 18, 06 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

pizza delivery
plasma donation
strip
mow grass

Oct 18, 06 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

...no car
...hate needles
...chubby
...it's October

Oct 18, 06 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I used to stay late at the office and go through everyone's desk drawers to see if they had and extra $$$ lying around

Oct 18, 06 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I used to stay late at the office and go through everyone's desk drawers to see if they had and extra $$$ lying around

Oct 18, 06 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Bartender

Oct 18, 06 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
beatbox

Bussing tables at the higher end restaurants.

Oct 18, 06 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
Josh Emig

3-D Modeling/Rendering seems to a good, low-stress side gig for architects. But you have to be good. Though, I have seen a lot of bad renderings done by so-called professionals for good money.

Oct 18, 06 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
24-7tecture

construction work will help to obtain the actual way in which a project is built and thus help you in the design side of wok.

Oct 18, 06 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

auvn where are you located? shoot me an email with your resume and some samples...we might have some work for weekends

Oct 18, 06 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

why should an architect get a real estate license?

Oct 18, 06 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

so he/she can contribute to sprawl...i mean come on dont we all want to build 6000 homes in our lifetime like Mr. Browning or Al as his friends call him! and make an amazing profit?

Oct 18, 06 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

hang a pouch around ur waist and get on a freaking const. crew - i cant tell ya how many times ive worked with people who have no idea what size a 2x4 is, or what shoring up means - and this is a great one..."im not going on the roof with the GC its to high plus the roof is pitched and i could fall off!" r u kidding me? you can design a building but you cant get on the roof...i cant even tell those people to jump off a bridge

Oct 18, 06 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

I googled real estate licensure requirements for my state and found out that you can't even get a real estate license here unless you have a letter of committment to be employed by a licensed broker. No thanks.

Oct 18, 06 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Lately I've been looking for some freelance work as well. Are there any sites that list mostly freelance work opportunities?

Oct 18, 06 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

seriously, poker. I make like $30-200 a week. I bought a new vacuum, took a trip, and got a fancy ass cell phone with my poker money. PLUS didn't spend any money going out.

Oct 18, 06 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

... and make sure you pay your income tax.

OldFogey has good advice

Oct 18, 06 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

they outlawed internet poker...much to the sadness of my brother..

Oct 18, 06 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

not here where we rake in your dollars, however as you are such a big 'client', the share price of Partygaming didn't stay in the FT100 top shares for long.

...... if only you could see the end of the chart plummet like an addicted gamblers bank account.

Oct 18, 06 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I play friendly games with friends, not online.

Oct 18, 06 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
A

Why have I never heard from the person that "lost" money on Internet Poker?

Why haven't I ever heard about someone who lost their shirt in Vegas. Everyone that goes either comes home with a new car or "broke even."

Gambling is not a way to generate extra income. Getting a side job as a janitor at the competitors firm down the street is. Aside from the min wage per hour you'll be raking in, you can steal design ideas and look like a hot shot at your 9 to 5.

Oct 18, 06 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

A- slow day in the office & looking for a new sideline?

Oct 18, 06 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

why not high-class whore?

Oct 18, 06 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

or a low-class one? more clients = more fun

Oct 18, 06 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I lost $6 last night on internet poker... but over all, yes, I am up, only about $100 though. I play the penny tables for practice.

by the way, I am in the running for the WSOP - look for me on TV! I have two qualifiers before I'm there - but I might make it!

Oct 18, 06 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
A

It's been a long day in the office (since 6am) and am racking my head on a project. Would be nice to have someone else figure it out.

Looking through classifieds for janitor positions....

Oct 18, 06 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
AP

stones, you ignorant fool... Al Parker is a talented architect and professor, and homeboy certainly isn't rich.
he's been making sustainable homes since your parents were in your grandparent's bellies. where do you get your information?

Oct 18, 06 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
AP

^excuse the rant...perhaps as uncalled for as the original comment.

Oct 18, 06 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

A - is your firm hiring?

Oct 18, 06 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
llll

Often the calculated sf that commercial tenants pay rent for is inaccurate. Offer companies to measure their sf for free. If there is a discrepancy with what you measure and the amount that they’re paying rent on, make a contract with the renter that they will split the monetary difference with you if they get it back retroactively from their landlord (that’s assuming they were paying rent for more sf than they physically are using).

Oct 18, 06 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

To address auvn's actual question, I've done some freelance cadmonkey stuff. It gets difficult if you've got deadlines at your day job and night job. But great cash, the extra $1,000 a week really helped me catch up on a lot of stuff. No liability involved because I'm working for a registered architect and it's a different type of architecture than what my office does, so I'm learning even more. You just end up working all the time for a while.

Oct 18, 06 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

AP
Oct 18, 06 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
binary

you can always hustle some model work for 2:37am and i'll cut you 3-5% per buildable model......seriously......

b

Oct 19, 06 12:30 am  · 
 · 
notone-co

starbucks.... you get benefits too

plus feeding your addiction

Oct 19, 06 12:34 am  · 
 · 
auvn

thanks for your answers. Some are really informative and helpful. Some are really entertaning....
I guess many others will find this information useful. Please keep posting.

Oct 19, 06 1:09 am  · 
 · 
A

treekiller - still looking for a job? I don't think they're hiring where I'm at right now, but have heard several local firms are. I'll ask around and send you an email.

Oct 19, 06 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

A - thanks

this mpls job search has been more of a slog then anticipated. I've a little finiky with my interests and skilz.

may have an offer though with a 'scape firm- we'll see :-)

Oct 19, 06 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
beatbox

-Treekiller

There's a temporary position available at the LA firm I left last week.
It's in LAX though.....That would be a long commute though.....

Oct 19, 06 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

auvn if you can walk the walk....you could be a runway model!

Oct 19, 06 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

237, i think you know me from udm. i am interested in pumping some model work for you afterhours.
i will email you about it

Oct 19, 06 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
binary

yessir....

Oct 19, 06 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
SPYDER01
www.elance.com
Oct 19, 06 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

beat- Can you drop some hints as to who that practice was? bummer I just left LAX, I've thought about dropping my old boss a line about some temp work... many thanks.

Hmmm- who is near LAX????

Oct 19, 06 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
binary

airplanes

Oct 19, 06 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

pull tricks

or.. recycle stolen copper

Oct 19, 06 9:48 pm  · 
 · 

be real, buy cheap sell w/ profit;

software
extension cords
copper
makitas
watches
lap tops
tickets
alley furniture;
find/clean/sell (poorer the alley, better the under appreciated modern furniture)

Oct 19, 06 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

what? no car stereos or rims?

Oct 20, 06 11:11 am  · 
 · 
SPYDER01

try to get some contract work with a sub on a cool project in your area..
that is only if you think its important for the advancement in an architecture career to actaully be part of the construction process....

Oct 20, 06 11:13 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: