Archinect
anchor

LEED Certified

difficultfix

How big or important is it to be LEED certified, the only reason I am asking is because I am curious how many of you Archinectors are LEED Certified........... Just Curious?

Oct 13, 06 10:39 pm
Katze

If you haven't already done so, do a search from this site on LEED certification. Check out this link for starters...

Oct 13, 06 10:50 pm  · 
 · 

Firstly- people are Accredited; buildings are Certified. So, no archinecters are Certified.

Its importance depends on your clients and firm for the most part. I am Accredited, but it hasn't made the least bit of difference in what work I am given, because our clients on the whole are not interested in sustainability. If the clients were interested, it might be a different story.

Oct 13, 06 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Rationalist...Cool Thanx...for the correction.....

Oct 13, 06 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
etimm

It is good to know about LEED. Many projects you will ecnounter (gov't, etc.) will require LEED, and knowing the lingo is importand. Getting LEED accredited is mostly about learning the lingo.

Oct 14, 06 12:06 am  · 
 · 
etimm
My LEED links
Oct 14, 06 12:10 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

Start hanging out with the local chapter of the USGBC or AIA-COTE. get to know what firms are really creating sustainable/high-performance projects and then get a job with them.

As loudest mouthed LEED-AP on archinect, accreditation really doesn't provide any new skills. All it means is that you can deal with the beaurocracy of certifying a LEED project. So if you are already on the verge of project management and loving that life, then becoming accredited will actually be useful (and profitable).

The only other reason to take the test is as a warm-up for your ARE. But the LEED and professional licensing are completely different fish. They are not equivalent, especially when you realize that real-estate people, lawyers and sales reps can all pass the LEED exam. As an architect is will be much easier for you.

Yes, you'll get to know the LEED rating system inside and out, but if you're just drawing details then what good is this knowledge??? next year, there will be a new version of LEED, and then another one. So anything you learn to day (and don't use) will be obsolete very quickly. So don't waste your time.

More importantly is to learn about your local sustainability codes and how to impliment them, ie California title 24, et cetera. These are the LAW, and all buildings in those jurisdictions must conform, while LEED is voluntary and expensive to impliment.

from your member profile, you're still a student. DON"T WASTE YOUR TIME learning all about LEED now. figure out how to be a profitable and indespensible employee, the goto guy to get things done. Learn how building are really made (no, not the academic version), learn how the city of San Diego approves building projects (a really assinine process), learn how to communicate with clients. There are too many other practical professional practice and technical skills you'll need to escape from the cad-monkey (or RFP/marketing graphics) phase of your career. In a few years, then look at what you're doing and reconsider taking the LEED exam if you can actually utilize those skilz.

Oct 14, 06 11:49 am  · 
 · 
archMONSTER

Nice response Treekiller.

Oct 14, 06 5:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: