Archinect
anchor

Application, trying to decide East or West coast

cf

I'm trying to decide if I should pick a cemetery plot on the East coast or the West coast or try the lower costs of Midwest. I was thinking about a plot in the San Francisco area but the fees are unbelievable and they bury you standing up. New York is just as expensive.
I'm trying to narrow this down to 5 cemeteries because the application deadline for most is in February. I welcome any advice. Thanks in advance

Oct 13, 06 4:04 pm
treekiller

cremation is the way to go...

come on baby, light my fire!!!

Oct 13, 06 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

what is the location of your family or the majority of people who would want to go see your spot?

Oct 13, 06 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
cf

The majority have already been accepted and completed there programs.

Oct 13, 06 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
grid

The midwest is a great place to be buried.

Oct 13, 06 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
Jefferson

east is weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak

The West is the best

Oct 13, 06 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
207moak

I'd recommend being immolated in a Viking ship burial.
Launched from the east coast.
Enjoy the afterlife washing ashore in Great Britian.

Oct 13, 06 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Try that new freezing method that puts out less pollution.
Then you'll have a "environmentally friendly afterlife"

Oct 13, 06 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
nitpicker

the tower of silence, as previously discussed, is no longer a good option due to the shortage of vultures.

too bad, because all good Zoroastrians know that you should not pollute either earth OR fire with your lousy mortal leavings.

I Googled up a very earnest ecological planning term paper once that advocated large compost tumblers as the most sustainable option. after you're properly composted the resulting humus is to be spread around a memorial garden "with appropriate ceremony."

Oct 13, 06 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
cf

The burial site is so important because the spirit will be sleeping at that point and should be able to absorb the cultural milieu until the man in the moon awakes. Then we all will have wine and cheese (moon) and be touched. Vis-a-vee. Actually.

Oct 15, 06 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
TED

ok -- whats the deal here? deadline - literally? is this like a presidents sale thing or something? did i miss something?

i would imagine most posters on a'nect are in their 20's so whats the rush? come on now. deadline?

just like my advise with grad schools -- why dont you go see the place before you invest big bucks in something. talk to a few of the locals.

Oct 15, 06 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
cf

I will be talking to the deans of several well known cemeteries on the East and West coast. What concerns me most, as I stated above, is the different casket orientations the West coast cemeteries use- standing upright, standing on head, face down, I mean really, there must be some burial standards out there on the West coast. Or does the West coast just suck?

Oct 15, 06 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
nitpicker

stretch your wings! free yourself from the burden of history, dood. do you really want to be buried with a stick up your butt?

Oct 15, 06 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

what if they put the stick in the wrong place?

Oct 15, 06 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

this thread really amuses me!

i didn't know that cemeteries had deans.

i hope i'm actually not missing something and making light of your concerns cf.

good luck in your search.

Oct 17, 06 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

maybe these guys will give you a discount...

Oct 17, 06 9:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: