Archinect
anchor

archi bookstores in boston?

gruen

yo yo. i will be in boston in a few days, and need to buy a book. I've heard of: Cambridge Architectural Books, but their website is, uh, busted. So I don't know if they still exist.

Any other recommendations? (for bookshops that is.)

Oct 12, 06 5:23 pm
archislave

I think theyve long since closed...
you can try the mit book store.

Oct 12, 06 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
postal

you should book a flight to prairie avenue while in boston

Oct 12, 06 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

hahaha, seriously. Best I know of is MIT or maybe harvard. Surprisingly no good non-academic arch-dedicated store.

Oct 12, 06 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
ess
http://www.mcintyreandmoore.com/

They are in Somerville and have a large selection of used scholarly books; you can check their index online -- although I don't know whether it's current. Who knows...it might be fun to dig and then if you find something great, it's like winning the lottery.

Oct 12, 06 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

since you obviously have access to internet, may i suggest purchasing the book via amazon and then having it delivered to your suite at xv beacon...or better yet, have you p.a. do it for you

Oct 12, 06 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
domestic

besides getting books used on Abebooks.com, the cheapest place to find new books is www.chapters.indigo.com, buying it online you get 33% off store price and if you spend more than $40 you get free shipping, and it arrives in 4-5 days.

gawd i just sounded like an ad-bot

Oct 13, 06 11:44 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

cambridge architectural books closed in 2003 or so.
there really is no good store as noted above...although
the m.i.t press bookstore is good (across the street from
the main bookstore)

and i think that link above should be www.chapters.indigo.ca

Oct 13, 06 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I remember the Harvard COOP having a very large section. But it's been a few years since I've been there, so I don't remember how good it is. I think they have junk and good stuff. I believe there was a bookstore a few blocks up Mass Ave between Harvard and Porter. But I never went in. It said they had architectural books. That was about 3 years ago.

Oct 13, 06 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

It's kinda hit or miss, but I have found some decent books at the second floor of Rodney's Books in Central Square, Cambridge.

Of course I go almost once a week....

Oct 13, 06 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
domestic

'and i think that link above should be www.chapters.indigo.ca'

oops, yeah. same breath as Amazon but cheaper and free shipping.

Oct 13, 06 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

^^i agree with THEaquino...i used to go to that bookstore all the
time. good bookstore to just browse in...and their architecture section/
art section is as good as anyone's in the city...although the harvard
coop probably has more books...their prices were always ridiculous..
since they're really barnes and nobles.

tryin to remember my other haunts back in the day. cambridge arch.
books was a nice place to buy stuff before it closed..that place coulda
made so much more money..but the owner was kind of a dick..and i
think talked people out of purchases fairly often. he did have a bunch
of bad luck though..the place flooded and ruined a lot of good books.
his once a year sales though made my library what it is today.

Oct 13, 06 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

I may be a year late here, but I thought I'd just mention for future reference, I've found a pretty good (if haphazard) collection at Raven Books in Harvard Square, Cambridge. It's a pretty small used bookstore on JFK St, but their architecture selection is pretty good if you're just browsing. Obviously, as a used store it's hit or miss, but they have some good ones in there and all very reasonably priced.

Jun 13, 07 3:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: