Archinect
anchor

Naked without food 72 hour design competition

jaja

Some of you may have heard of the 72 design competition in Stuttgart. http://www.72hoururbanaction.com/stuttgart.html

It's a team competition where you will  design and build interventions in public space in response to local needs within 72 hours. You will be housed in an old run down disused train-repair hanger. The municipality will get free ideas which they can use for further development. The winner will receive a gift certificate and a high five.  

As you can imagine, no one  in the right state of mind would compete under those circumstances, expect for architects obviuosly. Can you imagine a bunch of lawyers that would do anything for free, let alone, stay in a run down old garage, to work 72 hours with with no sleep.

Since architects are the easiest type of people to be  push around, i will for see a design competition in the near further where architects will have to design a city naked, at freezing temperature, no sleep, no food and the audience can throw darts at them. And guess what, we are stupid enough to join.

Apr 21, 12 3:11 am

absolutely right, of course. 

hey, where is this naked competition? maybe i'll do it. 

Apr 21, 12 8:17 am  · 
 · 

Well to be fair there are *some* lawyers, those working in public assistance and child welfare for example, who endure pretty fucking horrific situations to do their work to help those in need.  They do probably mostly get paid for that work, but not much, and I'm sure many many of them go above and beyond for free.

Of course a whole lot of lawyers are the exact opposite (the kind that tend to run for public office, sadly) and never do a 15 minute increment they can't bill exorbitantly.  Which makes me wonder: does architecture school beat this self-punishing attitude into us, or do we gravitate towards architecture because that tendency already exists in us?

Yeah I know, we'e already beat this question to death here.  There is no answer.

Apr 21, 12 9:09 am  · 
 · 

Naked without food 72 hour design charrette?  I love it!

It's like those people aren't satisfied with just running the 26 miles of marathon but need to run 130 miles uphill in death valley in 130° heat.

We are so EXTREME, YO!

Apr 21, 12 10:53 am  · 
 · 

#lecorbsbubblebutt.

Apr 21, 12 11:24 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: