Archinect
anchor

Informational interviews?

eac9812

Hi all,

I am unemployed and have tried about everything to look for leads for work in Portland, but nothing seems to be working.  It have been suggested by some of my non architect friends to cold call firms and request informational interviews as a way to make a contact.  I am very sckeptical this will actually work, maybe I am naive but I feel the design field is an animal in of itself. Am I seeing this from the wrong perspective?  Does anyone have any experience with this? Please advise?

thanks.

Apr 20, 12 6:32 pm
Narddog

@eac

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Like the most of us, we've all been there and as cliche as it sounds, things do fall in place one way or another. But of course you didn't come here to hear the ole "Keep your head up. Don't give up..." 

Tell you what...first off, Oregon is a great place to start in my opinion, there should be some opportunities. To answer your question, as always it depends but I do believe "informational interviews" or whatever means to reach out to somebody is better than doing nothing. You have to go in with the mindset that as complex or secretive networking may seem, it really isn't...it starts within an exchange. Now think about that word/concept. What is it that you want out of this person/firm and what impression or service can you provide them? Go with a plan...show dedication, show interest in something specific to the firm. Anyways, regardless of whether or not the interviewer forgets you the minute you step out of the office...you now have a contact. A strong, personal one? NO. But certainly something you can work with. You can follow up with a few questions, ask to be put on a newsletter of events (if applicable), possibly ask for any job opportunities, etc...the point is, you want to make yourself available to them 

Here are some things to consider:

At the end of the day, many firms when crushed with deadlines or in need of help, can't afford the time/money to hire someone and thus sometimes end up hiring someone (unpaid - low hourly wage) temporarily through whatever means they know for a day, a week, short-term, etc. You could be that guy. Make yourself known and available.

In addition to informational interviews...some firms host events or "traditions" such as a monthly drawing session, party, etc. FIND THEM and go.

Goodluck

Apr 20, 12 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
eac9812

Thank you Narddog. This was really helpful.

eac

Apr 23, 12 1:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: