Archinect
anchor

photoshop polygonal lasso question

does anyone know how to prevent photoshop from panning very quickly when using the lasso to cut something out. it does this when moving over the edge of a zoomed in image?

i have lived with it for years, but was asked this question by someone and it reminded me to finally find out.

Oct 10, 06 10:37 am
Chili Davis

Just move towards the edge of the screen slower. The farther you move the cursor towards the edge of the window, the faster it will pan. To actually get this to work right, you have to move your mouse very slowly. There should and could be a command to change the sensitivity of this, but I'm not sure.

Oct 10, 06 10:42 am  · 
 · 

i often do not have the image's window maximised in photoshop, and this seems to make a difference. when i use a maximised image it has better control as you say.

Oct 10, 06 10:46 am  · 
 · 
AP

when working on something that requires a lot of intricate selection (with laso, polygonal laso etc) I usually change the mouse sensitivity, as Chili mentioned.

Oct 10, 06 10:58 am  · 
 · 
tralala

I usually only use the lasso for rough selection. If I need to zoom in, I just skip the lasso and create a new path and use the pen tool to select. It has the added advantage of being easy to add and subtract from and reuseable if you need that selection path again. For even more intricate work, especially when I need to zoom in and touch up the selection, I convert that path to a layer mask and then paint in the selection.

Not exactly what you asked, but maybe useful if you don't want to put up with a finicky lasso.

Oct 10, 06 11:44 am  · 
 · 
bamboozled

when i am working in really close, i use the spacebar to pan. you can use this in the middle of any command (ie panning with the spacebar will not end or close your polygonal lasso)

Oct 10, 06 11:50 am  · 
 · 
DEVicox

tralala is right. The lasso is not really intended for intricate work... or its hell if you use it all the time. The pen tool generates selections that are infinitely editable. whichi is really good.

Oct 11, 06 11:44 am  · 
 · 
pix

I recently discovered that the pan tool is the best way to aproach this, like bamboozled said, press the psacebar to pan and take it from there, it avoids the problem and allows you to work up close with a big zoom andin more detail.

Oct 12, 06 11:16 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

spacebar pans in almost all adobe products

Oct 12, 06 11:26 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Spacebar.

Oct 12, 06 1:33 pm  · 
 · 

thanks for all the tips!
using the spacebar while using the lasso is just the tip i was looking for - that helps alot.

Oct 12, 06 4:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: