Archinect
anchor

Parsons vs. Columbia

wirth1

I'm a little torn and would love to get some advice from architects out there! I've been wanting to work as an architect for years, but when I didn't get into the schools I wanted to the first time around, I immersed myself more in the art world and began curating many art shows all over NYC. I decided I should finally apply again and this time I have some choices. I can get an M.Arch at Parsons or I could get an MSc in Critical, Curatorial, and Conceptual Practices in Architecture at Columbia. I don't know what to do because I'd like to go to Columbia, but if I go there, I wouldn't get a license. Parsons is 3 years and Columbia is 2 years. Can you transfer to Columbia after the first year? I know the architectural practice has been changing a lot, so what is the more practical degree? Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you.

Apr 20, 12 8:04 am
wirth1

Anyone?

Apr 22, 12 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
snail

The MArch is a pretty flexible degree and there are lots of people who go into "alternative careers" after getting an MArch, so I think that degree would be just fine in terms of compatibility with the changing nature of practice. At the same time, the possibility of becoming an architect would stay open for you. If you wanted to go to GSAPP after your first year at Parsons you wouldn't technically apply as a "transfer" student, but rather as an MArch I applicant with advanced standing. I don't know how the following would work for a student with advanced standing, but GSAPP also has a dual-degree program where MArch students can get the CCCP degree in one extra year.

Apr 22, 12 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
_oni

wirth1 where did you end up going? fyi, I just got accepted into Parsons grad program and chose to attend the summer course.

Mar 26, 13 10:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: