must buy or not?
hav anyone seen it in shop yet?

Jul 24, 04 3:51 am
mdler

hopefully they have improved battery life

Jul 24, 04 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

I haven't seen it, but I am a little disappointed in the "reduced price" gimmick. They knocked 100 bucks off the price, but the 20 gig no longer includes the dock, remote, or case.(which purchased separately would be over 100 bucks) and the 40 gig only comes with the dock.

Admittedly the case is pretty crappy, but it is a case, and the ipod is pretty easy to scratch if you don't have a case.

I think something else will be coming soon.. color screen???

Jul 24, 04 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

well, i believe microsoft is developing a portable video player/storage system, so I assume that will be in the not-too-distant future for apple

Jul 24, 04 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

btw, if you dont have an Ipod already, I would say that having one is a must. (therefore, I suppose the new one is more or less a must buy).

As to Pencrush's comment, I have the remote, dock, and case, but rarely use the remote. I find that it gets tangled up with the headphones. The case that apple gives you is pretty good, better than many of the after-market 'condoms'

Jul 24, 04 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
Marc Pittsley

Why do you consider having one a must?

Jul 25, 04 12:19 am  · 
 · 
andrew

Ipod or next month's rent? hmm...

Jul 25, 04 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
Dan

I've heard that sony is soon coming out with some mp3 players to directly compete with the ipod.

Jul 26, 04 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
zero1

If you don't use the remote because of the headphones then you really need to ditch those white pieces of shit and get some real phones. You will be amazed at how much better everything sounds with even cheap Koss headphones. Plus, many headphones have two piece cords now for remote equipped stuff which makes it so you don't have a super long cord. I like the new 4G ipods, but they are not as pretty as the 3G and not including the remote, or even redesigning the remote was pretty lame.

Jul 26, 04 9:04 pm  · 
 · 

Dan - those new Sony players only play music in Sony's proprietary ATRAC format, not mp3 format.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3855745.stm

Jul 26, 04 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
CIIW

should I get an Ipod to transfer files (animations) between my school's computers and the one in my apartment? is it easy / fast to transfer PC files w/ the Ipod?

Jul 26, 04 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
stainB

how many ipod owner transfer CAD/graphic files using ipod?

Jul 27, 04 5:43 am  · 
 · 
stainB

also, did anyone get the Ipod applecare protection plan?
it's not cheap US59...

Jul 27, 04 7:52 am  · 
 · 
bd

I use my ipod (apart from music) as a backup drive for my laptop - and to transfer files (CAD and other) between home and work.

40gig 3G

Jul 27, 04 8:11 am  · 
 · 
sparky

i just bought the old version of the 20 gig ipod last month for 319 bucks, now the new one cost this much, and my old one i bought is selling for 219. the apple store at the university i bought it from wont take it back, they will only give me the new price on the return (100bucks less) kind of lame, i wish i knew there was going to be a new generation.

the ipod is ok, i didnt really realize that you need to load up the files on your computer if you ever want to manipulate any aspect of the recorded file. i hate having half my hard drive dedicated to mp3s.

the new versions are supposed to have improved battery life, which would be cool. oh also i bought one, had to return it the next day and get another one, batery problems....

Jul 27, 04 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
bristone
Worship My Radiant iPod
Jul 27, 04 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
gasp

I transfer CAD/graphic files using my ipod. It's simple if the computers you use have firewire-- otherwise I still use my USB stick.

My white headhones died on me twice now- I replaced them with a cheap pair of sony's and things sound sooo much better.

Battery life is good if you don't need to fuss with it. Searching for songs, and playing around in the menus works the hard drive which eats battery. Better playlists = longer battery.

Jul 27, 04 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
stainB

hi gasp... i'm thinking of getting a USB2.0 PCMCIA card (or a firewire).
why's firewire more simplier than USB2.0?
alternatively, i can also get a usb/firewire combo.

Jul 27, 04 3:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: