Archinect
anchor

History of American architects building in Paris?

PolCon

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone here could point me in the direction of some good sources for a history of American architects building in Paris. Not only American architects, but also artists, writers, dancers, chefs, musicians, etc... It is my initial impression that there has been little...if any, significant history of this. Yes, Americans have historically gone to Paris to learn and be influenced by the people, culture, and art there...but I cannot for the life of me think of much influence Americans have had on the city...its people, culture or art.

Thoughts?

Apr 19, 12 2:56 pm

I.M. Pei as a chinese-american did the Louvre renovation.  That was quite controversial at the time and I would imagine that there was plenty written about it (although much of it is probably in French).

Could be a good place to start, yo!

Apr 19, 12 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
byen01

Disneyland Paris? The Disney Village was designed by Gehry (even though he's Canadien, we'll call him American for good measure).

Apr 19, 12 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
PolCon

These are great starts, and thanks for the input. I had definitely considered these before...in addition to the Disneyland Paris thing, Gehry did the American Center there as well...and He has something going on with Louis Vuitton apparently. I guess it could be argued that Parc de la Villette could count...but Tschumi is swiss...and I'm pretty sure he had little to zero US based offices when that project was completed.

The problem I'm running into is that I am tasked with creating a "history" of American architects building in Paris. Not sure how correct it would be to claim that American architects have held any significant role in shaping Paris's architectural history. In fact...considering the impact l'Ecole des Beaux Arts had on 19th century American architecture and the fact that our nation's capital was based on Parisian boulevards, one would argue just the opposite.

Thoughts?

Apr 19, 12 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Along with the "reverse" theory, don't forget the seminal effect of Corbu's towers-in-a-park concept on US architecture and urbanism.

Apr 19, 12 7:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: