Archinect
anchor

Space, Time and Architecture (Giedion)

mn

I'm trying to find other writings that address time and space/architecture?
What are your favs?
Thanks!!!

Oct 5, 06 5:44 pm
James Mayers

The Poetics of Space - Gaston Bachelard?
Really not in the same intellectual/tangible realm as space,time and architecture-may provide some inspiration, may be frankly annoying and confusing, heyho.

Oct 5, 06 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

sanford kwinter... Architectures of Time: Toward a Theory of the Event in Modernist Culture

Oct 5, 06 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
mn

thanks

Oct 7, 06 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

if you're more specific about the kind of reference you want, we might be able to help more.

there is plenty of philosophical writing about space and time
there is also a lot of scientific writing about space and time
there are also plenty of architects who talk about space and time
there are architectural historians and critics who have discussed geidion specifically.

Oct 7, 06 7:55 pm  · 
 · 

to get a good scientific footing on space/time, read the elegant universe by brian greene. its short, explicative, and just as good as a brief history of time.

this book helped me navigate through the more heady, speculative, and philosophical books on the subject.

Oct 7, 06 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke
Oct 8, 06 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

tha Jencks book is a classic - some pretty prescient predictions (and some not)...

Oct 9, 06 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
mn

thanks all

Oct 10, 06 1:30 am  · 
 · 
mn

also
agfa8x: all of the above

Oct 10, 06 1:32 am  · 
 · 

from wikipedia:

Changing views of spacetime along the world line of a rapidly accelerating observer.

This animation shows the changing views of spacetime along the world line (the dashed line) of a rapidly accelerating observer under the special theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905. The vertical direction indicates time and the horizontal direction indicates distance, and the dots on the world line are spaced at regular proper time intervals. The diagonal lines show the particle's light cone at that time. The other dots are random events.

Oct 16, 06 11:13 am  · 
 · 
kablakistan

what is a world line?

Oct 20, 06 9:45 am  · 
 · 
vado retro
space
Oct 20, 06 10:07 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

player created architecture: as the virtual game world moves forward, do you see a new kind of space taking over. a virtual world that allows a person to inhabit a new spatial virtureality. for example, i could if i choose to live my life primarily in a virtual world say that is based on whatever...lets say "casablanca" where i live and breathe in a virtual world of vichy occupied north africa. i could be a gendarme, i could be a young sexy hungarian exile, i could be a hashish addict, a gambler an assasin . or say a community of designers who live in a virtual world that is created and expanded by those members. thoughts???

Oct 21, 06 9:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: