Archinect
anchor

An architects building?

tempdrive

The question I wish to open for discussion is:

For how long should a building belong to or be under the architect's control?

My current thoughts are that this should only be the case durring the design and construction of the project but once the building is opened for public use, the architect needs to let go and let the building take on a life of its own by the people who use it.

My reasoning is I am currently dealing with a pain in the ass authoritarian architect who designed the building I am working in, I was hired to run the place and now I am catching a lot of slack from the architect because I would like to do things to the inside of the building the differ from the architects ideological approach.

I am also aware of various ways to look at the project, on one end we have architects such as wright who designed and specificed locations for furniture, to an approach that would follow in accordance with Koolhaus's Generic City. Neither one may be right or wrong.

Your thoughts.

Oct 5, 06 10:59 am

the prior architect should only be able to nose in where it affects his own liability. (liability is for life in most states.)

Oct 5, 06 11:23 am  · 
 · 
cln1

is this a recently constructed building?

if so, you best not be altering any systems as it will directly effect the warranty that the Contractor has with the building Owner.

"doing things" to the inside of the building is also a very vague statement and has serious implications if you are trying to altar anything that may effect the fire ratings of the assemblies, structural integrity or any of the life safety devices. (refer to steven's comment on arch liabilities)

If you are refering to adding interior partitions, decorations, or furniture to a vanilla box space then that should be coordinated between the building Owner and the Architect based upon the Architect's contracted scope of services.

Oct 5, 06 11:34 am  · 
 · 
tempdrive

By "doing things" I do mean additions to the interior, nothing that would change the original construction of the building. The bulding has been finished for almost a year and the friction come in where the architect feels that he should be in design control of the additions to the interior but he has not specifically been hired to do this. My feeling is that he thinks I or whomever are going to mess up his building.

Oct 5, 06 11:42 am  · 
 · 
freq_arch

If the building is large enough, or includes any number of occupancy types that warrant it, ANY revisions you make may require the services of an architect - take care not to get yourself into trouble.

Oct 5, 06 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
matteo

I don't know elsewhere, but here in Italy a bulding doesn't belong to the architect, but to the owner.
The owner could change the project as he likes, and at any stage of the project itself, even when it's not finished yet, he might fire the architect and hire a new one to finish the project.

Oct 5, 06 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

if the building has been completed for 'almost a year', why are you dealing with the architect in the first place? who made that decision?

i suspect the answer to those will answer your question.

Oct 5, 06 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
assbackward

There's a big difference between catching flack and "catching slack"! I've never heard that phrase before, but I assume it would mean that he's taking it easy on you. I think you meant "flack".

Oct 13, 06 12:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: