Archinect
anchor

Help Looking For a Grad. School!!????? Anyone

I am looking into grad. schools. i have a b.arch and am curretnly working in a firm in North Cali.
i want to study architecture, but more specificly sustainable design.
I realize that some schools encorporate sustainability into their regular M.arch programs, and other schools have it as a M.S. in arch with special studies in sustainability.(or just a concetration within an M.arch program.)

my questions:
-what schools are good for sustainable design study (specifically on the west coast)?
-what schools are good for arch. masters programs in general?
-have any of you specialized in sustainable design in school, if so how did it work into your program/degree?

Oct 4, 06 4:30 pm
treekiller

Almost let this posting slip off the top page but my green agenda didn't let me get away with ignore alexandra's plea for info.

There are two m.arch programs that lead sustainabilty: The Univesity of Minnesota and Yale Archiecture/School of Forestry. But every college has some classes these days that will scratch your itch.

Thanks to the AIA-COTE, there is a new report on Ecological Education in architecture schools. Here is the recent grant winners for developing new courses:

• The Sustainable Environments Minor: Sustainable Environments and Implementing Sustainable Principles at California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo, College of Architecture and Environmental Design;

• Comprehensive Green Design Studio and Professional Practice Seminar at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, School of Architecture and Urban Planning;

• Seminar in Architectural Technology and Technological Traditions at the University of Tennessee, College of Architecture and Design;

programs that got recognition:
• Master of Science in Architecture: Sustainable Design Track at the University of Minnesota, College of Architecture and Landscape Architecture;

• ecoMOD Project at the University of Virginia, School of Architecture;

• Animated Architecture: Master of Architecture Thesis Research and Design Studio at Clemson University, School of Architecture;

• Arch 501 Graduate Design Studio and the Greening of the Campus Program at Ball State University, College of Architecture and Planning and the Center for Energy Research/Education/Service;

• Issues and Practices in Modern Architecture and Urbanism at Parsons School of Design at the New School, Department of Architecture, Interior Design, and Lighting;

• Environmental Systems in Architecture and Other Coursework at Kansas State University, Department of Architecture;

• ARC 2713 Passive Building Systems (Ecological Design) at Mississippi State University, College of Architecture;

• Arch 316 Environmental Design and Mechanical Systems and Environmental Systems Laboratory at the University of Hawaii, School of Architecture

Read the entire report and appendix for a full list of faculty members and classes at every university that teaches sustainability. There is also a great reading list.

Oct 5, 06 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
switters

The west coast would be:

1. UCal, Berkeley
2. UWash Seattle
3. UOregon Eugene

in that order.

(but isn't/shouldn't sustinable design just good design, why the specialty?)

Oct 5, 06 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
alexandraNY

thanks for the info! i am going to look at UC berkeley for an open house this coming weekend.
I agree with Switters about sustainability just being good design. However, it seems that some schools are more geared towards sustainability and others not as much. I want to be able to take courses (in my graduate study) where the professors are knowledgable on green theories and building technology. I guess this comes from an undergraduate experience, where i was really interested in green design, but was pretty much on my own about finding out info on it. My professors encouraged me to study sustainability, but were pretty clue less on techniques and general info.
anyway, thanks again for the insight!

Oct 5, 06 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
seopee

alexandra - can you let me know how the berkeley open house goes? general thoughts, impressions, what you liked/didn't like, etc. would be appreciated =P. also, if they mention anything about dual-degrees (M.Arch/MCP) admissions or the "easeability" to take classes between departments and possibly studios outside of one's dept (like doing a LA studio as an M.Arch student). sorry for dumping all this on you, but can't make the open house even though i really want to..! thanks!

Oct 6, 06 12:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: