Archinect
anchor

Post 2nd interview and they are hanging me with no direction

archict

Hi all, Hi all, a month ago I was sending job app (intern position for 3 months) to this (quite big) company and had the interiew a week after. It went well. Previously I had an offer from this company but due to other circumstances I was not able to take the offer although they have sent me the contract. I had the confidence that I would get the job, and did not have plan B (apply to other companies, which is silly). First interview went well , pretty much the manager already knew me from the previous interview that Ive done 2 years ago, but the surprising thing was that they told me they do not have vacancy (due to lack of project) and I had to wait 2-3weeks if I would like to work. There was no news until a week after that they want to do a second interview with different manager. They gave a short notice in the morning and asked me to come on te afternoon. It went well too and they promised me to contact me in the next few days. No response from them I politely emailed them if there was news about the application. They said they will discuss this in the meeting which would take place few days after. I called a week after, still no news, called HR and she promised by the evening or the next day there should be a decision. Again still no news, until 2 weeks after the second interview I couldnt wait any longer and I emailed the manager about status update. This is the reply: At the moment we have not found the vacancy we were hoping for. We will continue to look into opportunities for you in the coming weeks with other potential projects. Now, I don't know what to do. Reason why I'm applying is because I really like this company, but I don't really need a job to sustain my bank account. it's purely for the name of the company and experience. It's too late now to work for other companies because I can only work for 2months because I have to send apps again. I would say they are sincere that they do not have projects at the moment but why would they invite me on the first place if they do not have the vacancy and hanging me for the next coming weeks. Should I move forward or wait for them?

Apr 17, 12 6:11 pm
calculator

keep looking, but don't burn any bridges.

Apr 17, 12 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Getting a summer internship might be huge to you right now but for most companies especially a large one, hiring interns is very low on their to-do list. They have to be absolutely sure that they will have enough work to keep their own people busy before they can even think about hiring interns. We've all been in your shoes before and you have to patient. Calculator is right, there are still plenty of firms out there looking for interns. 

Best of luck! 

Apr 17, 12 10:08 pm  · 
 · 

i am in exactly the same situation with a very similar series of events. i was told after a few weeks of pestering them post interview for updates (during my interview i was told he really liked my work and i'd know in a day) there is no current vacancy and i'd have to wait a month (end of april) before they would know if they needed interns for the summer. i understand the situation as LITS4FormZ explained it, but the mixed message information and run around stresses me the fuck out. that said, i'm incredibly grateful to get an interview and positive feedback from a firm i admire.

i'm applying elsewhere and trying to figure other things out but really hoping they call me in a couple weeks. i'm not having much luck with other pursuits.

Apr 18, 12 1:21 am  · 
 · 
archict

I am thinking to call the HR to give me detailed explanation as I intend to work only for 3 months. If they keep postponing this, meaning that I will be working for less than 3 months. During the past 1 month I have contacted them 3 times about status update + thank you emails.

Do you think it will be a good idea?

I mean, to be certain I can move on to which direction rather than hanging for them (although now I am looking for other jobs too).

Please advise 

Apr 18, 12 6:36 am  · 
 · 
file

I suggest you back up and take a deep breath. The firm (probably) is not jerking you around just to jerk you around. As LITS4FormZ comments above, the firm probably is trying to assess its need for labor and, as of now, they probably don't have that figured out yet. If they had an answer, there's no reason for them not to let you know.

While I've never minded candidates staying in touch, there's a fine line between "persistence" and "annoyance" that's easy to cross out of eagerness. While I know this is one of the most important issues in your life right now, I can assure you that your candidacy for a summer intern position is far from the most important issue in the life of the firm.

While you should expect courtesy from the firm, you can't expect them to feel the same sense of urgency that you might feel.  Try to keep the entire situation in perspective. It's entirely likely that one (or more) of their clients are jerking them around regarding the notice to proceed on one (or more) of their projects. It's common for firms to be as much in the dark about their own future as you feel right now.

I recommend that you initiate inquiries into other opportunities so you have a 'Plan B' in the works should this particular situation never materialize.

Apr 18, 12 10:42 am  · 
 · 
rationalist

they're not hanging you out with no direction, they're telling you what's up. What's up is that they like you but don't have an opening at this time. They've been open about that since the first interview. Apply to other firms.

Apr 18, 12 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
w. architect

Yes, we like you and I had some free time this morning so I wasted it on interviewing you. My problem is to which client do I bill my time.

Oh, yes by the way we really do not intend to hire you, but I like the cut of your jib.

Are your parents rich? Are you rich?  What can you do for me?

Keep knocking on doors!

May 28, 12 10:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: