Archinect
anchor

Ceramic cladding systems - How do they wear/age?

tangtastic

Hi,

I'm a post grad diploma student and I'm using a ceramic cladding system for my building, but can't find any information on how this might age over time. 

I'd assume that the ceramic pieces would dull over time, but if anyone can provide confirmation and some more detail  I'd be very grateful. Any references or internet links would be very welcome as well.

Thanks,

Will

Apr 17, 12 3:50 pm
Rusty!

I'm familiar with Terracotta Rainscreen Cladding. Very European (and thus anti-freedom). You can have the tiles installed on site, or it can be a penalized system.

You probably don't want these tiles too close to the ground, but otherwise they should stand up to time.

Apr 17, 12 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
t a z

Check out NBK headquartered out of Germany.  They have a large variety of terracotta reference projects and they've done a fair amount of work for Renzo (for example Central St. Giles, London, if you like colorful...).

Apr 17, 12 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
t a z

...See also this blog post for more specifics on Central St. Giles.

Apr 17, 12 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Terra cotta lasts 100 yrs. The systems usually fail when water gets into a mortar joints and freezes (causing expansion/cracking) or the metal fasteners that support the system rust

Apr 19, 12 12:27 am  · 
 · 
mespellrong

"Very European (and thus anti-freedom).... or it can be a penalized system."

Very Foucauldian of you Rusty

Apr 19, 12 12:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: