Archinect
anchor

3ds Max

Margine

How did you learn 3ds Max? The books I find tell you step by step ways of doing animations and renderings, but I keep forgetting the steps, and most times they don't apply to architecture (eg. walls, windows, etc.)

Jul 23, 04 9:16 am
Dan

I learned 6 or 7 3d programs over the past decade. I usually start with a couple of the tutorials that come with the program. Once i've gotten a feel for the program I make up a project, usually something architectural or a piece of furniture. And i keep working at it until I finish the project. It is usually very frustrating and very time consuming, often going to the help or looking for solutions online (highend3d.com). When I start those projects I know there are parts of the model that I have no idea how to do, but I eventually figure out how to do them.

Jul 23, 04 9:33 am  · 
 · 
Dan

I should add that I try to avoid buying books about specific software unless it is really urgent or I am really stuck. The books run around $70 and are obsolete when the next version of the software comes out.

Jul 23, 04 9:39 am  · 
 · 
French

The best way to learn is doing lots of it for many years...
The way I started when I was a student was trying to copy one of my studio project and do it in 3d. The advantage is to adapt your way of working with the program to your own architecture. It helps both your way of designing and your 3d skills, and it also gives you a style from the start since you are trying to reprensent a project that already exists but that's your own design.

Jul 23, 04 10:11 am  · 
 · 
melvin

I too taught myself four different 3d programs ove rthe last 6 years or so. However, I disagree about the books. It's true that most of my learning happened through trial and error, and there are many things that are similar in 3d modeling programs, so you start to know what to look for. But books are great, just buy the right books.

Specifically for 3ds Max, Ted Boardman's books are helpful to architects. Some of the scenes are super cheezy, but the techniques are the right ones, you just have to mess around with materials and lighting to your needs.

He also introduces you to very useful tools in Max, that a lot of people assume you know, as if you are going to read the user manual

As for walls and windows, version 6 recognizes and produces AEC objects, just like VIZ does. It also assign multi level materials to windows, doors, etc. So all you do is set up materials to each level, drag the material to the door, window, and it assign metal to the jamb, wood to the interior, and glass to the panes.....for example

good luck

Jul 23, 04 11:23 am  · 
 · 
mbr

I agree that the books are a necessity. Boardman's books are pretty good, but there are also a ton of excellent tutorials online, you just have to dig.

Jul 23, 04 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
allcaps

Online tutorials are good...

But the best hint I got about learning 3D Studio Max is to learn the main keyboard shortcuts. I mention this because it doesn't seem like the program's keyboard shortcuts would be worth a lick (cause there's no command line) -- but once you start using them, they make much more sense than all those little buttons and pan menus.

The four main shortcuts are q (to quit out of a command), w (move), e(rotate), and r(scale). (They are next to each other on the keyboard -- most controls are grouped like this on the keyboard -- like they are grouped on the menu bars)

alt plus the middle mouse button does arc rotate selected. alt plus w does min/max toggle.

Once you know these -- the whole thing is a lot less frustrating.

Jul 27, 04 9:18 am  · 
 · 
cyphonics

Decide to do a studio project without a final physical model (Clear it with your instructor during the first week so you can't back out). Nothing motivates you to learn 3dsmax more than the threat of failing. Also, the help file included with the program is extremely useful because you can search through it by keyword, and there are step-by-step procedures for a lot of examples.

Jul 27, 04 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
barrati

Hello I am just starting to learn 3d max.
Question: I have a 2d site plan that I draw in autocad and would like to extrude the building blocks. When I bring the model into 3dmax, it seems to not work when I try to extrude it after converting it to editable poly.
PS: I made everything as closed polys in autocad.
Is there some setting I should be aware when bringing the file into max.
Is there a quick easy way to do this? I must be doing something wrong...please help, this is driving me crazy.
thank you guys,
:)

Aug 10, 04 8:40 am  · 
 · 
Dan

Instead of using the extrude modifier, try using the compound object "terrain"

You can find it on the right hand 'command panel' under create>geometry>compound objects>Terrain

Aug 10, 04 9:14 am  · 
 · 
kicks

<do check if you have overlapping lines/polylines before bringing to max.

Aug 10, 04 9:42 am  · 
 · 
melvin

barrati

I usually extrude before I turn into an editable poly. otherwise, you'd have to select faces of the poly to extrude.

Aug 10, 04 11:42 am  · 
 · 
momentum

when you get into the sub-object zone, remember to use the 1, 2, 3, and 4 buttons. These keep you from going back and forth to the command panel turning them on and off.
1 toggles vertex on and off
2 edges
3 polygons (i think)
4 faces
5 object level

very time saving

Aug 10, 04 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Thanks! Those are some helpful short cuts!

The ones I am using that are coming in handing are:

alt + Q - opens the Isolated View window (isolating the selected object) this one is just wonderful!
alt + W - toggles the current window to full screen

Aug 10, 04 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
yoiyoi

what about the short cut command for panning that is when you want to see an object off the screen at the current scale?

Aug 11, 04 10:07 am  · 
 · 
aseid

ctrl+middle mouse to orbit

ctrl+alt+middle mouse to zoom

the letter (i) while in midst of drawing a line in order to recenter the screen

Aug 11, 04 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
melvin

while we're on this topic. i'm not new to max, but i did teach myself....and what i've avoided is keyin entry . is there a way to type in Relative (not exact) coordinates as you draw a line? i've been drawing in autocad 2d and tracing when I need to, but i'd love to just draw in max, as you would in form-z or microstation

am I missing something?

Aug 11, 04 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
xxx

Help! I've got a problem installing my 3Ds Max program.

Six months ago I installed a trial version (30 day). At the end of the trial period I tried to trick my machine into thinking the date was back at the time of the installation. Max is obviously far too intelligent for this maneuver and it wigged out and wouldn't let me open the program anymore. I erased the program, but now I have a real version and it won't let me register (or use) it.
After installation, when you get to the part where you have to enter your confirmation #, the screen says Error: [01.0044] You can still enter your confirmation#, it succeeds, etc. But it just takes me back to the original registration prompt.

My computer obviously contains some residual file from the original trial version that is blocking me from registering my new program. Would anyone out there have the faintest clue what this might be or where to find it? Thanks.

Aug 13, 04 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
Dan

1) it's in the system registry.
2) do not muck around the system registry unless you know what you are doing.

Aug 13, 04 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
Margine

find and delete your c_dilla file and reinstall the program.

Aug 13, 04 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
xxx

Please tell me where the system registry is located so I can spend the weekend destroying my machine. No...really, please tell me.

Aug 13, 04 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
xxx

And where might I ask is my c_dilla file? And what the hell is it?

Aug 13, 04 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
xxx

If anyone is interested, in my journeys to find an answer to my installation problem I stumbled across two good resources for questions:
http://www.discreet.com/support/max/faq/faq.php3
and
http://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum_en/default.asp?tab=2

Aug 13, 04 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

yeah, go start deleting things from your system registry... it will be fun, trust me.

Aug 13, 04 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
Margine

Try deleting a folder called c_dilla in your c drive. Don't delete anything from your registry unless you know what you are doing.
This folder is a hidden folder and it is located in the main c drive. Do a search, you must unhide all your folders first.

Aug 13, 04 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Deleting the c_dilla file (it's a .dat file, I believe) should do the trick. Don't screw with the registry unless you know what you are doing.

Max updates the c_dilla for each install and will look there first before proceeding with a new installation.

Aug 14, 04 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
RqTecT

try to buy it next time

Aug 16, 04 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
RqTecT

try to buy it next time

Aug 16, 04 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I second the buy it option, it's really the better alternative.

However, I would encourage you to look at other software, such as Cineama 4D XL, and send Discreet a real message about their damn pricing policies (not to mention licensing policies - you can't sell a copy once it's been registered, and of course, you can't use it unless it's registered). Oh, and let's not forget you can't down save, so you have to upgrade! They are pretty much the only ones out there that are forcing you to buy the 'complete' version, and not just the pieces/modules you need. Cinema has several purchase options and is growing in popularity quite fast, and it's cheap compared to Max.

Just my 2 cents, but I really don't need the options in Max 7 but I'll have to cough up the cash to stay current.

Aug 17, 04 1:55 am  · 
 · 
.nl

Go for Viz2005 then, half the price of Max. Everything you need for arch visualisation is in it, you'll only be missing reactor, character studio and advanced animation options which you'll hardly be using anyway (animated flags and curtains are nice though)

Aug 17, 04 3:14 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Viz is a good option (not for me, as I already own Max), but I still like the idea of sending Discreet a message.

Cinema

$700 for the program
$500 for the radiosity (which is pretty good, caustics and all)

That's pretty damn cheap. Look at the MODULES part for the various things you can buy for it (like Thinking Particles and character stuff). That's how all high end programs should come.

.nl - you don't need reactor to animate flags or curtains. Personally, I've never done anything with MR, CS, or Reactor.

Aug 17, 04 9:12 am  · 
 · 
xxx

Does deleting your c_dilla file affect all of your other programs? Would I have to reinstall a new version of the c_dilla?

Aug 17, 04 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

when you install max, it will write (or add to, don't know which) the c_dilla folder and the file (on my computer, it's a B10something.dat).

It is the part of the licensing of max. It will not have any affect on your other programs or computer (it's not there if Max is not there).

Aug 17, 04 7:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: