Archinect
anchor

Liability

p-c-m-a

If i'm stamping drawings for a small firm that goes under, how does that change my level of liability?  Would i need to purchase E&O insurance for myself to cover the projects that i have stamped/signed to date, or am I tied to the same statute of limitations no matter what?

Apr 16, 12 10:17 pm
blah

It doesn't change your liability.

Apr 16, 12 11:22 pm  · 
 · 

Actually I think it depends on the state.  Some states have personal liability for registered professionals of all kinds, meaning if you screw up the sue-ee can go after the business AND you personally as separate entities.  I believe in some states you have corporate protections that protect you from personal liability actions.

I've said here many times before: don't stamp drawings for a firm unless you are a partner in that firm.

If you have personal E&O, you need to call your carrier and ask them this.  Don't rely on what a bunch of people in different circumstances have to say on the internet.

Apr 16, 12 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

If you were a doctor, you would carry that liability until the statue of limitations had passed. When they negotiate contracts, the "Tail" is a considerable part of the conversation. I'm no lawyer, but I'll bet that the same is true.

Apr 17, 12 12:24 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: