Archinect
anchor

What am I worth?

p-c-m-a

I'm a Licensed Architect in CA with 5.5 years experience, an M.Arch degree and a LEED AP credential.  I'm negotiating the terms of my salary with my current employer,  and wondering how much value people have found in the AIA's Compensation Report published in 2011.  I've always worked for smaller firms, 10 people or less, and have thus expected less compensation until now.  If i'm the only Licensed Architect in my 5 person office, and i'm being asked to stamp and sign drawings assuming more liability, I feel my compensation should reflect that.  

I think i should make around 60k...thoughts?

Apr 16, 12 10:13 pm
x-jla

you should be making like 80k, but this profession sucks so 60 sounds about right.

Apr 17, 12 1:03 am  · 
 · 
Quentin

Geez are profession is really in the dump, if you only qualify for $60 :-(

Apr 17, 12 9:47 am  · 
 · 
RDarchitect

I make 60 without the M.Arch degree, LEED AP or license.  With those credentials in NY you would definitely make +80k...

Apr 17, 12 10:05 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

p27, you are asking wrong questions here. Your compensation should be proportional to the value of services you are providing. Small residential projects will not be as profitable as large institutional work.

What is the type of work  will you be doing, and how much of it? We can go from there...

"I make 60 without the M.Arch degree, LEED AP or license.  With those credentials in NY you would definitely make +80k..."

Yeah. You'd think that would be the case.

Apr 17, 12 11:09 am  · 
 · 
zonker

I have 3.5 years exp with BIM, and make $20.00/hr in SF - beats EDD or the corner of 6th and Howard

Apr 17, 12 11:58 am  · 
 · 
outthere

p27 has a good point ...but 60K is really low if your stamping drawings.... You should look into how much they have been paying other architects to stamp their drawings ...probably like 3K a project ..your salary should reflect this

Apr 17, 12 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
MixmasterFestus

If they're using your stamp, you should own the firm. 

They are putting your professional stake and liability on the line, and you may not have control over all the things that come out of the office (that you are legally liable for) because you haven't set up the systems that produce those things.

Apr 18, 12 11:20 am  · 
 · 
w. architect

You should research the legal aspects of signing those drawings!  If the company does not cover you as an employee with Errors & Omissions...well, what kind of licensed Architect are you!  You will be left with a nice legal bill, when the company owners run you over with a bus.

60k after 5.5 years....goodness, are you not a "go-getter" ...get an attorney

I would not sign or stamp a drawing for anyone, unless my name was on that shingle, or I had my insurance paid up!

May 28, 12 10:17 pm  · 
 · 

I agree, you really should look into all the liability you are taking on. What if something goes wrong?

May 28, 12 10:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: