Archinect
anchor

the B.Arch lives on

weAREtheSTONES

speaking of drop out rate...i would prefer to not work with as many numb-skulls as possible. letting just any joe-shmoe thru a Barch is not a good idea. I say the drop out rate should be even higher...say 75% - then well have some REAL Architects out there.

during my Barch we had about 75 students start the design fundimentals studio - at the end of thesis i believe there were 15 graduates and I still cannot figure out how these people will make it through THE EXAM.

indeed I do where my Barch in my chest - and I dont believe the college I attended has anything to brag about

Oct 3, 06 12:01 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

im not gonna read this whole thread, but honestly the B.Arch, in my opinion is actually superior to the M.Arch. This is because B.Arch students spend 5 years in design courses, v.s. 3 in a masters without previous arch experience and 5 in a B.S. Arch + M. Arch. As far as studio time goes, nothing tops the 6 year M.Arch however, and I only know of 1 school that offers that thought im sure there are more. Not to mention a B.Arch saves the hassle of paying for grad. school and spending 3 more years in college. I'm not hating on M.Arch's though, variety is the spice of life, some people can do 3 semesters of studio and become fine architects but to remove the B.Arch would be a foolish descision that would remove alot of talent and potential talent form the mix as long as a school's B.Arch program is demanding enough.

Oct 3, 06 12:56 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

more studios don't equal better architects. really, how many brad pitts does our profession need?

Better architects are made from smarter people. not more sleep deprivation.

Oct 3, 06 10:52 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

The 5 yr Barch and the 4+2 system have fundementally changed the personality types that enter the profesion. I'm amazed at how complete the collegiate brainwashing has been on this generation. Do you realize that during the best times of our profesion people could become licensed in most states with a high school diploma and 6-8 yrs work experiance? Mies, corb, Wright and Zumthor (he went later) didnt attend university for architecture? That a 4 yr is most lic. architect's education level? Doesnt anyone care that the swing'n boomer archi-edu-establishment is now helping lower your earnings, raise your debt and ensure your inadequacy for the work force while drowning you in psychobabble, all the while during their academic years state education at the college level was close to 20% subsidised? No wonder they love college so much - corb, kahn, free sex, low debt and shrooms. Remember, no vietnam if you were in architecture school. I say ENOUGH of this acedemic bullshit! Now wheres per...

Oct 3, 06 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Though that post definitely qualifies as a "rant", evilplatypus, I see your point and pretty much totally agree.

Oct 3, 06 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

It's still possible to get licensed in 13 states with only a highschool diploma (though the required internships range from 7 to 13 years). For awhile I lived in one of the states in which that's possible, and noticed that even though it was one of the states with the smallest populations in the nation it grants many time more first-time licenses to architects annually than most other states do. So clearly there are still some of those "personality types" taking that route. It's also possible to get licensed with only a 4-year college degree in 15 states, and posible to petition to replace education requirements with experience in a few more states. I was under the impression that Zumthor has a 5-year degree from Pratt.

Oct 3, 06 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I'm pretty sure he did go to Pratt, although after starting his practice.
I'll look it up.

Oct 4, 06 9:24 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Your right - Alumnate, take Zumthor off the list of the uneducated.

Oct 4, 06 9:27 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

LB - sometimesa good rant is just what the doc ordered.

Oct 4, 06 9:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: