Archinect
anchor

sheetrock

share an office space with a bunch of diifferent architects, and i'm in close proximity to many phone conversations .... the use of the word "sheetrock" made my blood cringe today ... we also had someone in search of a job last week come in and used the word cement to comment on our board formed concrete walls (good luck finding a job, buddy) ...

Sep 29, 06 5:17 pm
thenewold

I'm fine with sheet rock. Tons of Architects and construction people call it that. I prefer gyp-board more. But yeah, concrete isn't cement.

Sep 29, 06 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

i don't even know if sheetrock is a less common word than gyp board..
i mean isn't it a brand name? it's used all the time on construction
sites..the whole phrase 'rockin and tapin' seems to be something i've
heard.

i don't think know if anyone's not gettin hired because they
used cement instead of concrete..

i thought this thread was about the kid sellin t-shirts.

Sep 29, 06 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
citizen4nr

whats wrong with saying sheetrock? thats what we call it all the time. do architects call it a different name?

Sep 29, 06 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
punky_brewster

sheetrock is perfectly acceptable. it's like saying kleenex, or coke. sure, it's technically more 'accurate' to say gyp-board or the like, but that's when you ask the contractor for a 'tissue' to wipe a spilled 'carbonated beverage' and he loses his boot in your ass.
god, architects can really be unnecessarily anal.

Sep 29, 06 11:20 pm  · 
 · 

'drywall' is alright with me. hang it.
maybe i should return my license to authorities. but, i must 'place' the concrete before the 'pouring' rains arrive. get it?
cement is for rubber barons.
lets play jeopardy.

Sep 30, 06 1:06 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Regulars here know how deeply I love concrete. Yet I often refer to it as cement. What are you gonna do, take my license away? hahahahah!!!

I learned this week that when I say "edge banding"- by which I meant a solid pioece of wood 3/4 square along a piece of veneer plywood - the contractor thinks "taped edge". So thankfully we worked that one out before the cabinet guys got started.

In Philly gyp was typically called rock, short for sheetrock. I call it gypboard, or more usually gyp, rarely drywall.

Sep 30, 06 6:34 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

you know i am always refering to things by their wrong names. like i always got the sense there is a difference between a beam and a spandrel beam, i am too shy to ask what if anything. i never had a construction terminology class in college, and const 1 and 2 never spent time deciding whether or not drywall, gyp, or sheetrock was the right name. hell i even refer to eifs as dryvit, because its easier, knowing full well that it's a product reference.

i have more of problem with people calling concrete block, cinder block. or how about when you hear someone say masonary - and the person is a mason, or the one word my wife and i cringe over - height, only when someone says "heigth"....

Sep 30, 06 8:29 am  · 
 · 
waxwings

technically, cinder block is correct vs. concrete block when describing cmu, but stick with cmu.

i put GWB (gypsum wall board) on ceilings.

and love being on site when cement trucks show up to pump concrete.

Sep 30, 06 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
waxwings

lb, i think taped edge too
(from my cabinet work days)

maybe just points against your license.

cement for concrete = 2 points

Sep 30, 06 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I was on a site this week with a full framing crew of Brazilians. Everyone smiles alot and boy oh boy do they get alot of work
done in a day. I would only advise the General Contractor keep
a close watch on the project not because of the Language but because they work so damn fast you don't want an error compounding itself into a much larger problem.

Sep 30, 06 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I think "edge banding" too. "Masonary", "heighth", and "acrosst" (big Ohio/PA thing!!) make me cringe. I actually love saying things like "rock it" or "durock" or what have you, because I kind of have this secret delight that I was let into the contractor's club and learned these slummin' terms... hehe. I like the fact that most arch's my age have no fucking clue what all the words they copy from redlines into autocad actually mean in the field. I take pride in the slang, even if its down 'n dirty terminology.

Also, snooker, all the contractors up here have portuguese-speaking labor from brazil or the islands--same thing goes--they do great work but damn is it speedy! and doesn't necessarily have much to do with the drawings. It is thorough and fast as hell but you gotta run onto the site all the time to check the minor details or they get pasted right over!

Sep 30, 06 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

In fact Sheetrock is a brand name...

you could get

the correct Terminology would be Gypsum Board

Sep 30, 06 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

georgia-pacific????

Sep 30, 06 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i don't think cinder block is made any more, i could be wrong, but i do believe concrete masonry unit = concrete block.

Oct 1, 06 12:03 am  · 
 · 
waxwings
cinder block
Oct 1, 06 1:27 am  · 
 · 
punky_brewster

us old contractors used to refer to uncured concrete as 'mud' until it cures, then it becomes concrete..then joint compound came along and screwed up the lexicon.

sheetrock-gypboard
tissue-kleenex
coke-carbonated beverage

i hate when communication breaks down over something stupid, like
when you're talking to your french friend and she pretends not to understand something you said in french because your inflection was slightly misplaced, but you know she knows what you meant.

if i said sheep-rock, or jib-board, would you not understand my meaning? and you wonder why we get laughed at by the contractor?

Oct 1, 06 1:53 am  · 
 · 
waxwings

"mud" always throws me
but i nod at whatever the superintendent says,
and then look it up later.

Oct 1, 06 2:02 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

yeah wax, i checked after i posted, and now i know a little more...

Oct 1, 06 7:08 am  · 
 · 
threshold

> beta – I’m in agreement with you. A few years back one of our engineers had to deal with this issue on some existing conditions. He told me that cinder block is no longer made and that CMU = concrete block.

Oct 1, 06 9:12 am  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

i dare you to say -CMU- to a GC.....he will probobly laugh in your face.

Oct 1, 06 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
waxwings

WATS,

wouldn't care too much about that as i find that GC's do so little work these days other than marking up. now, if the masonry sub laughed in my face over CMU, my feelings would be hurt and i'd ask for a hug.

Oct 1, 06 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

if i only install gyp-board once in a while, can i still call myself a rocker?

Oct 2, 06 7:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: