Archinect
anchor

when should i tell?

Klaymen

ok so time is ripe and am sending many job applications. i obviously want to sound quite desirable to firms on my cover letter so i over look minor details and try to make my self seem like a good candidate... but when do i get to ask the nasty questions? the nono's that would make me seem like stick in the mud?

for example, i was an international student, so i am in the usa on OPT witch will run out in a year. i would very much like to stay further in the usa because i like it here.... do i kindly point this out on my cover letter or wait till the interview... or till im employed, much to my employers dismay?

any hints, tips suggestions on how to do this tactfully

Sep 29, 06 9:19 am
average_american

wait till the interview. I would rather get my foot in the door and be face to face before getting into any kind of specifics, which works both ways. A lot of times they will be stingy about telling you about any compensation before you show up, so just do the same.

Sep 29, 06 11:30 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I dont know about other cities but it seems in Chicago international experiance is a huge plus. For some reason firms like to collect international interns like trophy's.

Sep 29, 06 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
Klaymen

hahaha! that is good to hear evil.

Sep 29, 06 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

wait till the boss loves you...realizes you are a great employee

one day come to the office and tell him / her that you are getting deported in a week unless they can do something about it...

always makes for some fun at the office

Sep 29, 06 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
Klaymen

mdler! that is a good one :) but ultimatly risky... because there is still the chanse that i would get deported. i might try that just for comic value though.

Sep 29, 06 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

evil your totally right... there are more internationals at my firm than there are americans!

im a white kid, grew up in the suburbs, raised by protestant parents, middle class

and im a minority!
its fantastic

Sep 29, 06 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
Reason

Klaymen,
I had similar situation as you before. You don't need to put it on the cover letter or resume. Waite till they decide to hire you. And sometime they may ask you about your working permit. Some already have experiences with it, other may never heard of it. If it is later, don't make them panic, just put it lightly. You can hire a lawyer the first time to get H-1, then get a copy. Later you can just do yourself. It is not that complicated like many thinks. I did it myself, and just let them to sign the paper. They may help to pay for it too. If they think you know what you are doing, they will be fine. Good luck!

Sep 29, 06 7:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: