Archinect
anchor

The connection of old and new?

PEKAY

Do You know any good examples of (physical) meetings between old and new buildings? I am interested in, and studying, the exact connection point between two objects, and how they relate to each other.

Sep 28, 06 12:25 pm
Rim Joist

You mean like Michael Douglas and Catherine ZETA Jones?

Oh, buildings.

Sep 28, 06 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
archasm

Liebeskind's Jewish museum in Beriln

Sep 28, 06 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
oe

Scarpa man, absolutely the master.

Sep 28, 06 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

New Boston Public Library to Old Boston Public Library. Phillip Johnsons worst building ever.

Sep 28, 06 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

renzo piano and the pullitzer library

Sep 28, 06 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Castelvecchio (spelling?)
I have Scarpa's Intervening with History book - shows this and a number of other projects.

Sep 28, 06 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Carlos Scarpa ... he's the master and yes Castlevecchio is one of the best examples, amongst them. My last year in school I did a whole directed studies class on one building by Scarpa. I looked at the Banco Populare and a buddy looked at Castlvecchio. We both agreed it was teh best class we both took in all of our university education. Put in tons of work and really for the first time began to understand the making of buildings in an intimate way.

Sep 28, 06 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
studiojunkee

Morgan Libary

Sep 28, 06 3:21 pm  · 
 · 

hotrod architecture!

Sep 28, 06 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
aeaa

Zumthor did an addition to a modest home (Cabin?) which was quite nice.

The "black diamond" royal library in copenhagen by.....? They do really nice work and are danish and the name of the firm is something I can't remember....dang it

Sep 29, 06 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Scarpa is the master. We were fortunate enough to have his master craftsman/partner give us tours of various buildings while in Italy.

If you can, visit the sites, it's worth the effort (many are in Venice).

Just gorgeous and timeless work.

Oh, fyi, he's another example of a great architect without any formal training.

Sep 29, 06 2:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: