Archinect
anchor

disaster relief prototype (modular)

studiojunkee

A group of us is doing research to build a disaster relief prototype that is modular. We will be cutting the individual (modular) panels on a cnc mill (the only course requirement). Does anyone have some good sources for small scale modular architecture or disaster relief housing, even good low-income housing options that we can look at?
Thanks!

Sep 26, 06 2:50 pm
http://www.shopbottools.com/construction.htm

why the insistence on cnc?

Sep 26, 06 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
Schnurrbart

Have a look at "Design like you give a damn" for ideas. Shigeru Ban did some work on this, too, if I am not mistaken.

Sep 26, 06 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
studiojunkee

Orhan Ayyuce -
Interesting website, thanks. I haven't seen anything like that yet, cnc for plywd res. construction. It's for a fabrication class, and the prof has a cnc mill, router and of course there is the laser. He says no hand tooling...... boo. So the idea is to create panels that could be easily molded later, or something of the sort - we've worked in the past for a non-profit in south america, great opportunity to bring them to NYC.

Schnurrbart -
Thanks also - I just ordered that book, good call - unfortunately it's not in the libraries yet around here, but not too pricy on amazon and I've read about it in the last couple months.
One of the girls in our group worked for Shigeru Ban in Japan and is working on that end of it already....... Thanks for the thoughts!

Sep 26, 06 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i wonder what j thinks about this

Sep 26, 06 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
studiojunkee

J? I'm a little detached from archinect (trying to improve that ;-) what about j?

Sep 26, 06 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
archasm

check out Yeh + Jerrard
One of their projects is called the JoT house and its a pre-fab thingy.
Its very cheap to build, easy to build, energy efficient, spacious, and easy on the eyes. They just built a mini prototype in Silverlake. It's very cute.

Sep 27, 06 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
archasm
JoT House PDF
Sep 27, 06 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

the subject of j's thesis was that which was mentioned above

Sep 27, 06 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
studiojunkee

Thanks soup, that's a good pdf.

hm...... i hope j has some words of advise for us then ;-)

Does anyone know of any current competitions in this subject?

Sep 27, 06 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

"We will be cutting the individual (modular) panels on a cnc mill"

just, wow.

Who is your professor and what is their email? If this is a project to address post-disaster situations and a CNC mill was a requirement then it is doomed to fail....

imposing a technology on a community can be a far worse disaster than the original one...

go check out the grip clips (also in the Design Like You Give A Damn book) - screw prefab panels - a component system in the key.

Sep 27, 06 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron
for your reading
Sep 27, 06 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

and this competition - changemakers $5k housing comp.

Sep 27, 06 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
studiojunkee

Thanks for the links Cameron. The first article is right along our lines, we're talking about panels that are possibly cut to reduce all waste and to fit a particular shipping container.... just early thoughts though. And the second one I hadn't stumbled across yet either.

And yeah, I definitely should have clarified the cnc thing - the thought of CNC = low income of course crossed all of our minds, not necessarily something that works (at all!) but the idea is that we quickly produce something (testing many options quickly on the machines) that could be hand tooled, or something that could easily be molded with concrete or a similar material in the future.

Sep 28, 06 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

Also check out the Fab Lab work done at the Bits and Atoms lab at MIT. They are building a Fab Lab in South Africa that might be able to fabricate housing locally.

Also Shigeru Ban (3 structures) and Gans and Jelacic are also covered in the book.

Sep 28, 06 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
archMONSTER

As stated already, I would check out the paper tube log cabins by Shigeru Ban.

Sep 28, 06 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
studiojunkee

Wow thank you guys you just hooked me up with some awesome resources. Thanks!!

Sep 29, 06 9:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: