Archinect
anchor

custom hardwood floor

lschack

Does anyone know of a resource for more modern custom hardwood floors? I am not as concerned w/ the material source as I will be getting material locally, but am trying to find precedents using a variety of wood types in a non-traditional way. My client would like to use a pre-fab medallion in the middle of the floor...I'd like to illustrate other ways to showcase different wood types and use a local craftsman. (floor is in wood products show room)

Sep 21, 06 12:38 pm
art tech geek

there is a rather nice wood floor at the Japanese American Cultural Museum in downtown LA. It is a douglas fir floor in end grain. It looks as though it was just 2 x 4's planed into sharp 90 deg. angles (versus the radius from the mill) and then chopped in sequences & intalled. It had a nice gradiation in what the wood itself did applied in sequential sections. Since the end grain is a bit more durable, & doug fir is a softer wood, it really made alot of sense. Probably any good wood guy/team could do it.

Sep 21, 06 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

that end grain flooring is an old industrial flooring technique because it can handle an incredile compression load.

the difficulty with that type of flooring is that it expands and contracts with moisture in the plane of the floor so popping due to compression can be a real problem (not so much an issue in an industrial application.)

Sep 21, 06 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Just send me a gourmet smoked turkey sandwiches on a multi-grain roll with harvarti and cranberry sauce.

Sep 21, 06 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
lschack

missed lunch treekiller?

Thanks for the suggestions...I am having fun designing this floor-good thing labor will be done by the client...

Sep 21, 06 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Insight - back on TC page 41, strawbeary and DCA started a tangent about turkey sandwich bearing product reps...

Sep 21, 06 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
lschack

next time I'll check w/ TC before asking a question...can I go to the bathroom now?

Sep 21, 06 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

only after you write on the blackboard 500 times, 'I will not....'

Sep 21, 06 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
matteo

These are the convenctional ways to install a parquet or hardwood floor:

Sep 21, 06 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
matteo

These are typical custom made large format wood tiles, usually already prefinished;

Sep 21, 06 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
matteo

This may give you an idea of a parquet with a wood mosaic at its center plus borders, using different types of wood:

Sep 21, 06 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
matteo

I like this pattern, it gives a strong 3d effect.
I've used it many times using different materials, like granite or marbles or even stainless steel as the center square tile:

Sep 21, 06 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
lschack

Thank you for those pics matteo-although I'm going in a less traditional direction-I've been impressed by the level of texture and detail I've seen in examples such as these.

So ok, this might be my first rodeo at custom hardwood floors and all, but my client is wanting cherry, which is a "soft" hardwood and not as durable as maple or walnut...I think it won't hold up for commercial purposes. Don't say "oak" either...

Sep 22, 06 10:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: