Archinect
anchor

Excellent signage?

lizok

Hello archinectors.

I'm designing exterior signage for a new office courtyard of a pretty big cell phone company, and I'm looking for references of really well designed signs. One problem - the walls are glass, so no wall signs. Although small perpendicular signs CAN be attached, I'm trying to think of good free standing structures.

I tried searching Google, but ended up with a lot of sign MAKERS, who have some pretty awful nail-salon neon signs posted on the sites.

Anyone know any good websites, or even single projects that I could check out?

L

Sep 20, 06 7:06 am

take a look at these two design firms

2x4

and

Bruce Mau Design

Mau did the graphics/signage for OMA/Koolhaas' Seattle Library.

I think that 2x4 has worked with OMA too.

Sep 20, 06 8:29 am  · 
 · 
Marlin

Ever been to San Diego?

my previous employer. There's nothing that specifically fits your conditions, and "good" would be pushing opinion, but they could get clients-lots of clients.

Sep 20, 06 9:29 am  · 
 · 
lizok

architphil - thankyou thankyou! I saw the 2X4 SFMOMA exhibit, but couldn't remember the company! This is more or less the kind of images I was looking for.

Marlin - thank you for the link, but this is basically corporate, main stream stuff. I'm trying to find COOL, EXCITING and WELL DESIGNED things to look at, since basic logos/signs are all over the place.

Sep 20, 06 11:03 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

2x4 did the graphics in the MTCC IIT campus building, there are some very cool graphics at the west enterence made of hundreds of small icon like images to make up larger images. it is also done on glass. As well as the face of Mies on the doors

http://mies.iit.edu/masterplan/images/mtcc.jpg

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/62/1556/640/IIt_founders%20wall.jpg

Sep 20, 06 11:09 am  · 
 · 
Marlin

signage is never cool. Good signage is broken glass. Those sound like words your clients used. Have fun making cool, exciting OSHA signs. Nothing like routering-out a guy running down a burning staircase.

Find this book, Space Graphysim. It's interesting. Good ideas on glass...may have it at your local tilt-up bookstore.

I googled him and was hard pressed to find a home page. My guess is it's Japanese...

Sep 20, 06 11:32 am  · 
 · 

Also check out Pentagram's stuff.

Sep 20, 06 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
lizok

Marlin - Ha! I'm not doing running men or elevator signs, just exterior labels without much constraint at all. It's entirely possible to make cool signs - find a typography-fanatic graphic designer, and he will tell you all about it. I realize that this kind of work is below designers with a capital D, so I guess then you really are stuch with OSHA. I've had the misfortune of meeting too many people who are obsessive about well designed objects IN GENERAL, from paper coffee cups to building, which explains why I ended up with this project. xL

Sep 21, 06 8:05 am  · 
 · 

are you looking for wayfinding?

[img]http://www.hanscomfamily.com/stupid-sign.jpg width=418[/url]

Sep 21, 06 8:11 am  · 
 · 

dammit

Sep 21, 06 8:12 am  · 
 · 
lizok

AHAHAHAHA! I guess I am.

Sep 21, 06 8:24 am  · 
 · 
Marlin

sorry. from the sound of your post, I thought you were doing signage and wayfinding. Serif fonts are a pain in the ass to read at a glance. Keep it simple. Have fun puchlisting. Good luck!

Sep 21, 06 1:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: