Archinect
anchor

CT to NYC commute

tc79

I'm considering the commute....from New Haven.
Anyone doing the same? Tell me your stories.
Good, bad and ugly.
And is it worth it?

Sep 19, 06 10:40 pm
Aluminate

It's long. One of my roommates in college did it for about a year. He got up at 4:10 am. Occasionally he'd be stranded in the city because of working so late that the trains stop running (around midnight or 1am) or because the trains were stopped. He kept extra clothes and stuff in his office for when that would happen. The train takes a little less than 2 hours each way. So it's about 3.5 to 4 hours of train time per day. A monthly train ticket is $386. Driving during rush hours takes longer. Friday afternoon traffic jams are occasionally as long as 5 or 6 hours or more, especially between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
Is it "worth it"? That all depends on why you want to do it. Nobody but you can really say. Depends on whether benefits (better job? cheaper rent? proximity to something or someone important?) outweigh the drawbacks.

Sep 19, 06 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Don't forget to factor in the time it takes to get to/from the train station at either end of the trip. Metro North takes you from New Haven into Grand Central Terminal, but if you're working in Lower Manhattan, you need to add another 20 minutes to get there from GCT. And the Lexington Avenue subway (4/5/6 trains) is the most crowded subway line in the city.

Sep 19, 06 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
h1

There are a surprising number of people who commute fron New Haven to NY - as exhibited by the populated platforms between 5 and 7 am - and some of them are indeed architects. Try the commute for a few trial runs at the times you'd actually be doing it, and you'll probably get a good idea of whether or not it could make sense for you.

Sep 20, 06 1:31 am  · 
 · 
mdler

take pictures of cute hipster girls on the train for the 'cute hipster girl pic of the day' thread

http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=44439_0_42_0_C

Sep 20, 06 2:23 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

one of the only benefits of workin in nyc is LIVING in nyc...
if you work at a normal ny office you'll work 9or10 to 8or so.. add a commute
of an hour or more and you're lookin at long hours/days.

i lived in brooklyn for three years and that commute started to wear on me.

Sep 20, 06 3:00 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: