Archinect
anchor

John Zorn Wins MacArthur Genius Grant

Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke
This

made me happy, if only because I've been listening to him for 20 years.

Sep 19, 06 6:23 pm
vado retro

god first i dint win the manifesto contest and now i dont win one of these either. im gonna quit playin

Sep 19, 06 6:31 pm  · 
 · 

i haven't heard anything he's done in about 15 yrs, smoke. completely forgot about him, in fact. i guess i'll have to look him up again.

Sep 19, 06 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Oh well .. I tried

Sep 19, 06 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

One of my friends from college recieved one this go round. I'm happy for my friend, but also I'm left feeling like a bit of an underachiever.

Hmmm, I really should give this friend a call and see if they need their apartment redone.

(Go RISD! A near sweep of the visual arts this year!)

Sep 19, 06 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

John Zorn! I was at the reunion concert with Naked City a few years ago here in Amsterdam, in the opera house (Carré) of all places. Seeing 50 year olds playing avant-garde-punk-jazz was quite absurd.

Sep 20, 06 3:23 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

How do we get one of these? I mean from what I understand, it's not enough to just do architecture. I think we have to do something obsessive, like graphically reproduce architecture from the Colonies circa 1791 using pasta or something.

FOG Lite, that's really quite something that you know someone who won. By all means, please tell them that you have friends....

Sep 20, 06 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
oldirty

Diller and Scofidio got one a few years ago-they are the only architects to get one I think.

I dont think you can really do anything besides what you do generally and just do it well...no one really knows who the nominators are and you cant apply so how can you know what to do?

DId anyone see Stephen Colbert making fun of John Zorn's music tonight?

Sep 21, 06 12:17 am  · 
 · 

sam mockbee also got one.

Sep 21, 06 7:41 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Zorn is amazing, good for him.

Sep 21, 06 10:37 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

watch out for the Genius award curse for builders...

Mockbee - died within the year
Cuny - kidnapped and murdered before announcement

Sep 21, 06 10:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: