Archinect
anchor

Must See! - In Spain and Portugal?

Oops!!

My GF and I are planning a two or three week trip to Spain and Portugal at the end of March, beginning of April...with that said, do you have any suggestions of where and what we should see? If you have visited, what would you want to see again and why?

Moreover, do you have any interesting tips for traveling cheep?

Sep 19, 06 2:05 pm
ClemsonDnB

Hmm, BCN has been covered pretty well in previous postings, search the archives and you will find lots to see there.

In Valencia, there is this beautiful art museum dedicated to illustration. I forget the name of it, but maybe someone else knows? Also in Valencia is Calatrava's own little city for the art and sciences. Also the IVAM (institut valencia d'art modern) is a good stop as well.

In Cordoba, the mezquita is truly amazing. It is an Islamic mosque that has been converted to a Christian church. It is an interesting contrast in program, def check it out.

In Granada you can see some more Islamic architecture at the Alhambra. It is absolutely amazing. The detail of some of the courts and the intricate patterns covering the walls are beautiful.

If youd like to go somewhere with beautiful beaches, I recommend San Sebastian. Its a bus trip away from Bilbao where you can visit the Guggenheim and the metro stops by foster.

In Toledo (also a days trip from Madrid), other than the charm of the old city, there is a great intervention by Martinez Lapena and Jose Antonio which creates a series of escalators to connect to the interior of the city.

In Madrid, the new Reina Sofia extension by Jean Nouvel was recently completely. Also the Plaza Mayor and Palacio Real are definite musts. If you are interested in Spanish art the Prado is a good stop as well. One of my favorite stops was the Atocha train station. Beautiful interior space.

Those are some architectural things to do in Spain. Above all the Spanish people are outgoing and fun loving; relax at a local tapas bar, experience spanish nightlife (which can be quite intesnse). See a Flamenco show, (Sevilla is best known for that) and goto a bull fight if you can handle it and arent too strongly against it. (It is very gruesome). As for Portugal, I know less about maybe someone else can help you out with that! Have a great trip!

Sep 19, 06 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
Oops!!

Great suggestions ClemsonDnB...I'l definitely do some research and check the archives from past posts.

Sep 19, 06 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
Oops!!

Anyone Else?

Sep 19, 06 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
antipod

Pamplona: Run with the bulls. You will have a sudden appreciation of your own life!

Sep 19, 06 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
antipod

tried to do the link thing but turns out I'm too stoopid so have it long hand instead:

http://www.pixagogo.com/Photos/Albums/Photo.aspx?id=S4tLxyRXNN31cQSveXkujhcNaZ0VBFC945!uySNBaurtFkVhQ1D3pqJGkwMNiwnifZ

Sep 19, 06 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
antipod

The bull at the top of the page knocked itself out for 5 mins before going postal on a couple of people.

Scariest thing I've ever done in my life. Much worse than sky diving or bungee jumping...

...can't wait to go again!

Sep 19, 06 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
antipod

Oh, for cheap travel, you can get bus-about tickets which are basially hop on-hop off type deals. Go where you want, when you want. Otherwise try european rail cards. Same deal.

Sep 19, 06 6:41 pm  · 
 · 

i was in spain and portugal this summer. Off the top of my head: visit Porto, spend some time walking the waterfront. Try some white port, dont waste money on a winery tour, but do stop and order some at a bar. Check out the Eiffel and faux-eiffel bridges at night. If you can, go to a show at OMA's Casa de Musica. San sebastian does seem pretty great, I was only there for an hour or so, I'd love to go back. Get to Barcelona for a day or two. Great for the Gaudi stuff, but the oceanfront is kind of a drag.

Sep 19, 06 6:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: