Archinect
anchor

MacBook Pro screens

If I had a Dollar

hey!
I'm on the verge of purchasing a macbook pro online and live quite far from an apple store. Can anyone out there help me decide between the glossy and regular matte screen. I think the problem with the glossy is the serious glare while the matte screen is hard to clean.
And what about graphics?

Any advice would be great.

Sep 17, 06 12:35 pm
not_here

i love my glossy screen.
a lot brighter than my previous laptop and color saturation is definitely augmented, but not enough to ruin things when gauging for print, at least that's my opinion.

i love this computer.

Sep 17, 06 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

matte. over long periods, glare and reflections will give you a headache.
graphics professionals apparently prefer matte screens because they give better colour fidelity.

Sep 17, 06 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
e

matte is prefered. better color, less glare. mac screens tend to render brighter than pcs to start with. i wouldn't necessarily think you would need the additional brightness that addictionbomb alludes to since they are pretty bright to start with.

Sep 17, 06 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

i've been reading up on this and macbook pros and macbooks have a bit of variation in screen quality so I wouldn't group them all together. I think it's worth driving to the apple store no matter how far away you live. that's quite a chunk of money you'll be spending anyway. it's worth a look for yourself.

Sep 17, 06 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
e

yeah, i'd check it out for yourself. don't matter what we all think. you'll be the one using it day in and out.

Sep 17, 06 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
pettydesign

i have a macbook pro matte finish and love it. my studio is fille with macbook pros with half matte and half glossy. the glossy does look very nice with images and videos as the colors tend to pop out more. but when trying to use colors that will eventually be printed, i have always heard that you will be more successful at matching colors through a matte screen rather than glossy. and that eye strain is reduced by using a matte finish as well. but is all comes down to personal preference.

Sep 17, 06 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

"Taking a page from many PC notebook makers, MacBook features a reflective TFT screen, which makes colors pop like never before." (p. 84, Wired September 2006)

Hmmm... not sure if this is hype. Or if the matte screens are hyped by the retro-lovers...

Also:
"TIRED
"Glossy screen shows every smudge and smear..." (same)

Sep 17, 06 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

after printing a big plot today i say go matte.
my screen does over saturate things.

Sep 18, 06 11:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: