Archinect
anchor

How To Buy Casa Malaparte

Ernest

At the present day, the architect's position in society is somewhere between that of a gypsy fortune teller and a pickpocket. Often when an architect comes over for tea, families lock up their young daughters and hide the silverware. The so-caller glamour of the profession reaches no further than 25 star-architects.

And I must admit that there is some justification for the architect's unsavoury social reputation. Most of us steal a little -harmless little things like leftovers on a construction site or paper from a copying machine. Only a few architects swipe anything they can stuff in a trunk.

So no one should wonder that a plan like this would come from an architect: I would like to buy an architectural masterpiece. Something like Casa Malaparte, but there might be other suggestions?
Only, I do not have the money, so I invite participators to send me money (the amount is free to choose). In return I'll invite all of the participators for a three-night-stay in the estate. In total 33 years. A plain normal long lease.

See ihavegotthestyle.com and youhavegotthemoney.com for more.

Sep 15, 06 11:50 am
Ernest

better: ihavegotthestyle.com and youhavegotthemoney.com

Sep 15, 06 12:05 pm  · 
 · 

how do we know you're not gonna remodel it?
another question,
how do we know you're not gonna hire thom mayne to remodel it?
last,
how do we know this hasn't been done before?

Sep 15, 06 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

i highly doubt that the casa malaparte is up for sale..

Sep 15, 06 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
switters

this proposal is not very stylish.
more like www.ihavegotthesleeze.com

Sep 15, 06 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
lschack

ooohhhh...casa malaparte is worth the trip. I sat and stared at it for a day, then returned and tried to see if I could trespass onto the property...they obviously are used to people like me trying to get close enough to lick the windows 'cause it's surrounded in wire fence!

My former boss once chartered a boat off the coast of Capri to get a better look at it and then somehow arranged to spend a night there.

Sep 15, 06 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

malaparte wasnt designed by an architect. but the fascist writer curzio malaparte and a caprian bricklayer...

Sep 15, 06 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
raj

you should try something more like "own you vacation" --see all the timeshares that keep calling my house!

Sep 15, 06 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

"The house was conceived around 1937 by Italian Rationalist architect Adalberto Libera for Curzio Malaparte. Malaparte actually rejected Libera's design and built the home himself with the help of local stonemasons."

apparently it was designed by an architect, but edited/built by the owner.

Sep 15, 06 2:43 pm  · 
 · 

Well, not if he rejected the architect's design in its entirety.
I spent half a day wandering along Capri's spectacular cliff-edge paths in search of a decent view of the thing. I take it that the main approach is by boat?

Sep 15, 06 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

actually..if you go to wikipedia it says the main approach is by
a walking path from above...there are steps to the water, but the
waves make it difficult to dock/swim. that and apparently there
isn't a pier to pull up to.

and solidred..i was confused by the statement as well..wasn't
sure if it meant he rejected it entirely or not.

Sep 15, 06 3:35 pm  · 
 · 

brigitte bardot at casa malaparte...

yummy...

Sep 15, 06 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i need frequent flier miles donated. i appreciated.

Sep 15, 06 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Hang gliding seems like a good way to get yourself on the grounds....

Sep 15, 06 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
le mepris
Sep 15, 06 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
Ernest

Thank you gentlemen for your reactions.

@Orhan Ayyuce: the history of this building is one of constant remodelling. So it is almost one of its qualities.

@larslarson: I highly doubt that too. But has anyone ever tried it? Is there a possibility? (my new blogpost blogpost is devoted to this subject)

@vado retro: Mr. Malaparte being a fascist, nor the fact that later in life, he became a communist, affects the quality of the house.
Thank you for the YouTube link.

@architphil: thank you for the images. On my Flickrpage, I have posted to interior views.

@insight: any idea who your former boss' contact, to arrange a night there, was?

Sep 18, 06 11:56 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

nor did i say it did. i just like to use my useless and pointless knowledge...

Sep 18, 06 11:58 am  · 
 · 
standardsofa
http://reserve.mg2.org/Malaparte/Flash/Malaparte1.htm

requires flash and sound

Sep 18, 06 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
Ernest
Are my methods unsound?
Oct 4, 06 3:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: