Archinect
anchor

Portfolio for a project manager position

bucktown

I am planning to move on to a bigger firm and need some suggestions on how to put my job portfolio together.

- I have too many projects to put on since I started working in high school

Should I just have a binder with photos ?? or should I bring CD sets? or both?

Please.. help me. I need to make a killer portfolio. Thanks.

Sep 14, 06 1:05 am

skip the school work, unless something is still totally informing the way you still think > like your thesis as a jumping off point for who you are as an architect.

edit the rest down to just the high points, but make it graphically compelling. don't feel obligated to explain what projects are about. it's sort of eyewash. put in things they might recognize from driving around town (if not publication). many project manager interviews don't even involve a portfolio review anymore. if you're from in the same town, they want to know what projects you've worked on that they might know, who you've worked with (architects, contractors, etc.).

i wouldn't bring a cd set unless they ask you to, and if you do, have it printed at 50% size. cds may not be relevant because they're going to want to have you work to their office standard, not come in and do things the way you're used to.

evidence that you're organized, professional, and present yourself well. information about not only your drawing and designing abilities but also your construction administration experience, your background with contracts and specs, whether you've got any marketing experience - all these should come up. don't expand on them too much unless you see that you've got their attention. you don't want to bore them or seem too smarty-pantsy.

finally: at project manager level, most offices are going to be looking for someone that fits within their office culture and that might stick around for a while. they want someone they can work with.

your portfolio may be beside the point.

Sep 14, 06 7:53 am  · 
 · 
tc79

buck-
I concur with Steven Wards advise, with a couple of additional comments.

If you can, taylor you're portfolio to the type of work the office you are interviewing with does. I've seen CD sets reduced to 11x17. At that size, they're easier to carry, and easier to set aside if the interviewer is not interested in looking at the drawings. There's usually not enough time to review a set indepth, but it's good to show how well you can organize a drawing set

Also, include client, consultant and/or contractor contacts with your references.

Sep 14, 06 8:22 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

nothing fancy. reduced cd sets pictures of built projects in photo sleeves. shined shoes mean more than a "killer" portfolio

Sep 14, 06 9:45 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

buck, carry a a few prints too ( photo sleeves dwgs ) apart from softcopys cos some employers/interviewers want to see work in detail.

Often details in the dwgs /designs cannot be seen on the screen when there are many dwgs /images composed on one page.e.g in powerpoint.

yea and wear nice shoes .

Sep 16, 06 5:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: