Archinect
anchor

books for teenager

joe

One of my little brothers who is turning 16 in a week has begun to express an interest into creative/artistc fields and has mentioned the possibility of architecture as somethin ghe might want to look into. Seeing as how I was never given books as gifts I think this would be aprime opportunity to give him a couple/few books that might spark something creativly in him. Browsing through my endless wishlist of books on amazon I dont see anything that really pops out as being osmething that would work for him. so I turn to you. any suggestions for this broad category of art/archititecture that wont be over his head?

Sep 13, 06 9:15 pm
jonathanharper

chris ware

seriously take a real close look at his work and read his bio and backgroud.. very interesting stuff

so much detail.. it will be a real collectors item some day.. i promise

good luck!

ps- let me know what you think of it.. please.. and please feel free to give an honest opinion

Sep 13, 06 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

might be too specific??

i'd say get a big book with lots of different projects by different people.
off the top of my head:

phaidon atlas
case study houses (any one of them that cover several)
getting several of the cheaper taschen monographs
architecture now! (more taschen, and taschen prices)

if he's in high school i think nice pictures of nice buildings would be the most inspirational.

Sep 14, 06 5:24 am  · 
 · 
jonathanharper

magazine subscription?

to an architecture or maybe design oriented magazine? wallpaper magazine?

i know how much i love magazines.. and they are a good gift.. it keeps coming all year round..

i win. ha

Sep 14, 06 7:17 am  · 
 · 
jonathanharper

ps- definitally go to ebay to purchase your subscriptions.. there are some AMAZING deals on there.. because of ebay i get about 18 different magazines delivered to my house each month.. its crazy!

Sep 14, 06 7:18 am  · 
 · 

i'm not sure what i would have thought at 16, but when i read it at 18 lars lerup's 'planned assaults' gave me a kick in the pants - made me realize what architecture could be, beyond just thinking about construction and house plans. it was about IDEAS.

it's also a really beautiful book that you could steal back if he drops this interest. i still go back to it occasionally because every now and then i need a reminder of what architecture can be...

Sep 14, 06 7:43 am  · 
 · 
joe

thanks guys. I think something with a little bit of lash might be nice.. ie a picture heavy book, and I think I might get something more text based as well. to kind of balance each other out. the magazines is a nice idea. I never really thought of that.

~18 magazines a month? insane!

Sep 14, 06 7:55 am  · 
 · 
jonathanharper

it is insane! but it keeps me current.. i guess? I am not much of a reader so magazines are a great tool for me.

Sep 14, 06 9:06 am  · 
 · 
Salt Mine

I've given Andy Goldsworthy's books ("A Collaboration with Nature is a good one") as gifts to people of all ages and interests, and everyone seems to love them. Even though it's not architecture, there's an element of building/construction in his work-- and you have to appreciate the guy's patience. Definitely picture-heavy (and the pictures are amazing), but often he describes the process below, which is pretty interesting.

Sep 14, 06 9:15 am  · 
 · 
matteo

I think that these books could increase his interesting in architecture, history and construction:

"Why buildings fall down" by Lavy Matthys and Mario Salvadori
"why building stay up" by Mario Salvadori
"The stones of Venice" + "Seven lamps of architecture" by John Ruskin

Sep 14, 06 11:40 am  · 
 · 
joe

S,M,L,XL?? haha...

thanks for the ideas so far, I appreciate it

Sep 14, 06 11:46 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

the 10x10 books...they have two in architecture and one in art i believe. lost of pictures and lots of lesser known architects..some known...but usually modern and new.

the 'architecture now' books are pretty good as well...and they're fairly cheap.

the small scarpa/ aalto/ siza etc books by taschen. a redo of their previous monograph size books..but i think the smaller size is nicer.

the pamphlet architecture books or the michigan papers books...

these are all picture heavy, but i think that's what i'd be more interested in at 16.

Sep 14, 06 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
Sep 14, 06 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
db

a magazine subscription would be really good -- and my vote would be for Metropolis -- often general enough for wide appeal, but with enough content to make it worth actually reading

Sep 14, 06 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Frank LLoyd Wright Stained Glass Windows

Sep 14, 06 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

get him some books about anatomy and Ferraris ...tell him he wants to be a surgeon

Sep 14, 06 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Not sure about books, but keep him far from Archinect. Don't want to make him cynical before he even graduates high school.

Sep 14, 06 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i am partial to the surgical books but then that's me. i think the education of an architect is important to have. for fiction perhaps douglas cooper?

Sep 14, 06 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Roark vs Keating

Sep 14, 06 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
db

wow--another douglas cooper fan--wish his books had sold better though, so they would publish the 3rd book (I think it was supposed to be a trilogy)

Sep 15, 06 8:51 am  · 
 · 

maybe they didn't sell better because there were MADDENING, went nowhere, and were written in a self-consciously 'i know more than you do' sort of tone. in 'delerium' cooper seems to borrow the mood and style of alain robbe-grillet, but then once he had that, he didn't know where to go with it. robbe-grillet weaves the same spell of paranoia/confusion in 'repetition', but in a much more natural and readable way.

Sep 15, 06 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

teenagers should only read books about suicide. otherwise, they should be in their basement rooms getting high...

Sep 15, 06 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
cln1

how about an el croquis - simply for the amount of pictures of not only built work, but models and sketches. Initially he may like it for the pictures, but after time, he may begin to read it.

Sep 16, 06 7:47 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

ruskin? for a 16 year old? a 19th century british dudes romantic lyricist musings on architecture...

at 16, if it didn't have spiffy graphics i wouldn't look at it for more than a few seconds. unless it was scantily clad women...

(i've written the Record severals times about adding a centerfold and "intern of the month")

Sep 16, 06 9:30 am  · 
 · 

actually i was given 'seven lamps' when i was in high school. but i was already sold on architecture and i was a particularly book-ish high schooler, so it went over well.

Sep 16, 06 9:39 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

this would prolly be popular and very aesthetical...

Sep 16, 06 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
binary

lebbeus woods..... i think i spelled that right.....great ideas and graphics with pencils

where?

Sep 16, 06 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
matteo

Is Ruskin too hard for a teenager? Give me a break.

I haven't suggested books like:
Vitruvio, De Architectura in Latin or
Leon Battista Alberti, De Re Aedificatoria

These books are boring for a teenager not completely into architecture yet.

Sep 16, 06 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

Becoming an Architect. Author: Waldrep, Lee

This completely up-to-date guide to today's careers in architecture provides a clear and concise survey of the field and offers advice for navigating a successful career. Filled with interviews and insights from leading architects, the book covers everything from educational requirements and design specialties to registration requirements and the many directions in which a career in architecture can go.

Sep 17, 06 6:18 am  · 
 · 

hah, i own a copy of de re aedificatoria and i find it boring NOW...and i'm closing in on 40 and love architecture.

more than a book might be cool to take him to a great bit of building and explain him why is so great. a day trip to IIT would be cool....for both of you most likely. or something closer to hand. gotta be something good where you are at...

Sep 17, 06 7:13 am  · 
 · 
joe

hmm, something good in charlotte...... think. harder... shit headache.

Sep 17, 06 8:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: