Archinect
anchor

What is your ideal project?

el duderino

Has anyone ever thought of a building design project that they feel would be great to work on - budget is not an option unless you would like it to be, can be for any client or no client -- just an ideal design project

Sep 13, 06 11:07 am
Ms Beary

my parent's retirement house.

J/K

Sep 13, 06 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

In all seriousness though, my diploma project was an architect, interior, engineering and real estate office. Program was set up as a grid with the phases of project delivery as the cross function. I had elements that stretched throughout all - like big huge long continuous tables, glass walls, paths, etc. My ideal project would be to develop this further.

Sep 13, 06 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
cln1

ideal = no client, no budget, no deadline, no expectations, 100% glory

j/k

seriously though, the ideal projects are those which you find in architecture schools, which is why those who are in school should really appreciate their experiences.

Sep 13, 06 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

that addition i did to the guggenheim was fun, and it wasn't that hard.

Sep 13, 06 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Its not about the project its about the client

good clients=good projects

hint.... always look for good clients the rest will take care of itself.

Sep 13, 06 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
e

very true whistler. your cool project will end up in the toilet everytime if your client sucks.

Sep 13, 06 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i was gonna say the same thing whistler but hesitated; i'm not sure if it is age/experience driving me that direction or the realities of running an office now (or both).

Sep 13, 06 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
el duderino

I agree that architecture school projects are pretty ideal, so with that in mind, if you could re-do your thesis or final school project, or do another thesis project, what would that be?

My final project from undergrad was a private library for a retired couple. The professor came up with a crazy, but possible program for it. I throughly enjoyed working on it. I don't know what I would do differently just yet because I only completed it a year ago.

So think of re-doing or starting a new thesis or final project.

Sep 13, 06 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

a roller coaster - of love, of course

Sep 13, 06 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
kylemiller

a house for chuck norris

Sep 13, 06 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

my parents retirement home. Not kidding. Actaully looking for property now.

My parents are damn cool, though, and will let me do whatever I want within their budget :-)

Sep 14, 06 8:44 am  · 
 · 
snooker

A house for Brad Pitts.....better halves!

Sep 14, 06 10:08 am  · 
 · 
FRO

off the grid house made of dirt.
approx 1500 sf + a 4 car garage.
lots of outdoor spaces.

Sep 14, 06 11:36 am  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

if ur house is made if dirt is it outside space??????????
something to ponder!!!! hehehehehe

Sep 14, 06 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I hope that 4 car garage isn't for cars.

Sep 14, 06 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

garpike- nope. 1 car, many shop tools, a very big door. I just find it easy to communicate sizes of 'garage' spaces in 'car' units.

Do people have room in their garages to park cars they drive?

Sep 14, 06 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Ah now you're talking. A shop!

Sep 14, 06 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
hobbitte

yes - idealism is definitely what drives the ones still in undergrad.

I would 'ideally' love to revive the 8th wonder of the world - the pink and white terraces in the fashion of a terraced 5* bath house retreat... outdoor spa, silica, bubbling geysers, with lots of steam and people in their birthsuits... What more could you want?

Sep 15, 06 7:39 am  · 
 · 
3dGraffiti

I would like to be my own client.

Sep 15, 06 9:01 am  · 
 · 
melivt

even with ideal clients, ideal projects can end up being fugly.

i know a guy that had several outstanding projects and greater clients.

but his inability to keep to a budget/effectively manage a job cost him more than a few.

he was also a terrible designer, but was one of the best bullsh*t artists i have ever seen. his clients ate it all up, and then, in the end, even though the project would look like trash... they were still happy.

Sep 23, 06 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

skyscraper.
massive office space.
to be owned by me.

Sep 23, 06 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
design_junky

ideal, huh?
how about an unlimited budget to design a building that turned all the worlds problems into unicorns and rainbows.

that would be nice i think.

Sep 24, 06 2:53 am  · 
 · 

if you like unicorns...

Sep 24, 06 12:09 pm  · 
 · 

Right now my ideal project is my own house. Looking to build on my equity and stop paying rent. Looking to build it in phases as I'm curious to see how it grows.

Starting off with about 900 to 1100 sf with a view off to the sea and mountains. Ideal client willing to try something a little nutty. MOre to come I'm sure.

Sep 24, 06 7:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: