Archinect
anchor

My thoughts on Education, time and cost

blah

I just sat down with one of the counselors after having a discussion with UIC yesterday. I work part-time as the Coordinator of the Architecture program here at Oakton Community College just outside Chicago. We offer a year of studio, which I have taught since 2006, and construction classes for 4 different building types that come in 2 flavors: site planning/1 to 48 and then the concomitant detailing class. My students can do heat loss calcs but still read enough to know that the modern detail in Architecture is the absent detail and that much of Architecture school is spent designing projects that lack visible fenestration, etc.. So they know a bit and have serious skills in basswood model making and sketching diagrams.

There are 3 or 4 popular choices for matriculation:

1) UIC - Bachelor of Science in Architecture (4 year program)

I spoke to the Gentleman here and he told me that UIC has an 8 semester sequence of studios whereas before it was 6.

After spending 2 years at Oakton, you can possible get in 2 year but you have to take a summer studio.

That's 3 1/2 years of school for a degree on top of the 2 years you already spent at a community college.

You might get out of a building science class or two in your junior year.

Add the 2 years for a masters and you're talking about an additional 5 1/2 years of school and the associated costs for 7 1/2 years total in school. That's a LONG time to miss out on work. The costs are quite high from both schooling and missing work.

2) UIUC I had one student enter here in May as a junior. She completed our two year sequence. UIUC, I believe, has a 5 semester studio sequence. Dr. Architecture can correct me!  ;-)

2 years for a Bachelor of Science in Architectural Studies (4 year program), then 2 years for the Masters and you're talking about 4 more years after community college. It's about 6 years in all.

3) IIT - 5 year Bachelor of Architecture. Most of my students get in for 2nd year without a summer studio (I don't think they have one.) They're out in 4 years and can start the licensing process as the degree is accredited. 

6 Years total in all.

Which route to take?

As a practicing Architect, having more than $30 k in school debt seems onerous. (One years wages.) Also, getting to work at a firm is one of the most important things to do. Studio is important but, as Ford says in his book, so much is left out of contemporary studio classes that their limits can be approached quite rapidly.

If it were me...

My students ask me this all the time.

If I could graduate in 2 years, then work and then you can begin to make these judgments from the outside which is where you eventually will be unless you're going to become an academic...

Money in the bank and real world experience are more important than ever today.

What do you think?

Apr 27, 11 8:21 pm
tricks

Co-op is a nice option as well if you can get it, architecture especially seems to be geared towards this system of work/school/work/school. As stated often, seems like it really depends on the individual.

Apr 27, 11 8:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: