Archinect
anchor

Approaches to lighting design?

ElGrecus

I've worked on commercial projects (retail, restaurants) and have a decent handle on lighting those types of spaces. I've recently starting working more on residential projects and wanted to ask how folks with experience with residences approach lighting design. My firm's basic strategy is:

1) focus lighting in center of room to highlight specific object (coffee table, dining table, etc.)

2) minimal lighting at perimeter

3) wall washers at key walls with interesting materials

4) minimal lighting at hallways/transition zones

5) no lighting over heads of those seated

Basically, there is little "general illumination"; most of the lighting is designed to highlight furniture or architectural features and be layered. It's different than my previous employers who approached lighting in a more utilitarian way (ambient lighting, task lighting, etc.). Any thoughts on how others approach lighting is appreciated, or resources for doing research would help too. Sorry to veer the conversation away from "U. Michigan vs. UCLA vs. SCI-Arc?" for a moment. 

Apr 5, 12 1:51 am

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: