Archinect
anchor

work in london

ferd

just wondering if anybody out there would like to share their experiences on working in london. i'm moving to the UK and am wondering what I can start to expect for placement, salary, etc. I know that the range is incredibly broad, so I would be interestd in hearing others experiences.

just a bit of info on myself, I have five years work experience with a notable office (2yrs project arch.), after completion of an MArch in Canada. considerable site and construction experience.

any stories or advice would be awesome.

Ferd

Sep 4, 06 6:41 pm
Kardiogramm

use google and see what placements are available online, i know that RIBA has a section on their website. There's usually a description of the amount of money you will earn per annum.

here is a link to another site:
http://www.building4jobs.co.uk/

Sep 5, 06 11:13 am  · 
 · 
Mido

I was browsing for jobs in UK. I don't understand the requirements of the architectural positions. What is meant by architect assistant I, architect assistant 2, technical architect?

Oct 20, 06 8:07 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

I may be moving to London also. Rather than researching jobs, I have been looking for used alfa's on Ebay...

Oct 20, 06 9:55 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

mido i think you may find the definitions here

Oct 20, 06 10:02 am  · 
 · 
antipod

Part 1: First Three Years of Uni Completed, basically an Intern.
Part 2: Uni completed, basically a Graduate.
Part 3: Registered Architect (ARB)

Be aware that the ARB are the spawn of Satan and often do not recognise qualifications from overseas schools. Not a plroblem unless you plan to sit your part 3 in the UK.

Oct 24, 06 7:02 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

yes but what kind of car should i get?

Oct 24, 06 7:20 am  · 
 · 
antipod

this one:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=131&MMN_position=95:95

(sorry, I'm too stoopid to make the link thing work).

Oct 24, 06 8:35 am  · 
 · 
mouse

Vado - you don't actually think you can drive in London do you? Well, yes you can drive but you can't park. anywhere. anytime. and you have to pay the congestion charge.

Oct 24, 06 10:21 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

vespa, get a vespa...

Oct 24, 06 10:37 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i sorta like this...

Oct 24, 06 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

We've been thinking bout buying the nissan versa- that jap-am version of that renault- good set of wheels! but what makes you think that you'll need to drive in london? It's like NYC, if you live in the city then public transit or 2-wheels rule...

Oct 24, 06 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Vado, dont I recall you hassling me for having an Alfa a little while ago?

That Renault's ok, but get an Alfa Romeo 147 GTA instead. Same size as above but with a 3.2 V6.

Oct 24, 06 8:58 pm  · 
 · 

getting a job in london was not hard in 2002. getting a work permit was harder to convince companies of. but even small offices can and will do it. don't be too worried over the issue (if it is one for you).

i was offered as much as 30k pounds as project architect, but had friends who worked for 22k as assistants (these all had no working experience). which is not very much. main reason being that rent is very high. i was in zone 2 though, and could have found cheaper rent if i went a bit further out from the centre.

my friends who were in more profitable business than i all earned more than 60k pounds a year for middle of the road, non-management positions. to put in context i recall seeing an add for a bus driver saying wages started at 14k...my memory mey be faulty on that score, but it does add some perspective...

good luck.

Oct 24, 06 9:10 pm  · 
 · 

btw, for a slightly cynical article on reciprocity, check out this

Oct 24, 06 9:12 pm  · 
 · 

and yet another btw,

if you are interested in getting your canadian education recognised (up to Part II, if you have a M.Arch, though i am pretty sure this doesn't count if undergrad was not also in architecture) you will need to go through the process outlined at this website. it is a bit expensive, so you may think twice about whether it is worth doing or not...

Oct 25, 06 8:08 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

actually i shouldnt have said that i may be moving to london. i may be moving to cambridge. actually my special lady friend lives on the third floor of a 17th century manor house at docwra manor...

Oct 25, 06 8:23 am  · 
 · 
snooker

Vado come on....work....looks like play to me!

Oct 25, 06 8:43 am  · 
 · 
geimanj

Was that a Big Lebowski reference? I really really hope it was... Coitus.

Oct 26, 06 12:10 am  · 
 · 
perturbanist

Use Bespoke or a similar agency...take cad test...recieve offers in a couple of days. Complete process = 3 to 4 weeks.

Oct 27, 06 10:07 am  · 
 · 
ferd

would it be fair to say that the large majority of firms in london run with microstation?

i am a autoCAD kinda guy, but have heard that the main software used in offices is microstation.................

thoughts?

Oct 27, 06 10:44 am  · 
 · 
perturbanist

my bride just got an job with an 'autocad' using firm...it's a pretty big city so depending on if you have to work for 'such and such architects' you may have to learn something else...not to be too general.

Oct 27, 06 11:51 am  · 
 · 

during interviews i was shown around 5 offices. 3 design-led, 2 corporate-ish. in the corporate offices 1 used AC, the other microstation (i think). in the smaller offices, vectorworks reigned. job i finally took was with 6 man office (they got me the work permit, took a month), and they used VW. took me a day to learn to use it.

wouldn't sweat the CAD. experience trumps that kinda stuff all the time.

btw i didn't use an agency, and no cad tests (then again, any office that had one would not be on my list of places to work) . took 2 weeks to get a job. 1 week to collect and send mail with my new london address properly affixed, 3-4 days of waiting around, then calls and letters, 5 interviews, and some soulsearching while i decided which offer to take (i went for design over money/job security). was surprisingly easy, even with the added problem of needing a work permit...

Oct 28, 06 9:12 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

like this dia????

Oct 28, 06 9:23 am  · 
 · 
ferd

jump.

you're a huge help.

i see from another post that you are a university of manitoba grad. i'm a prairie boy by nature, but graduated from dal a few years ago. if you are up for it, i wouldn't mind tossing you my email so that i might be able to ask a few more questions.

ferd

Oct 28, 06 1:26 pm  · 
 · 

no worries ferd. am glad to help, though i think i have said about as much as i know in posts above.

i lived in halifax myself for awhile. was planning on going to dal, back when it was still TUNS...got in, but chose to move back to the prairies for some reason. still love the east coast though. was def one of the more fun times of my life. university towns really are a blast.

Oct 28, 06 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
ferd

any other thoughts from london based architects??

Jan 17, 07 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Vado - Similar - looks like a standard 147, you need this:

Jan 17, 07 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
I love archinect

i wish i had a lady friend! anyone want a date?

Jan 17, 07 5:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: