Archinect
anchor

Environmnetal Stratedies for an Urban Block

timothyrushton

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could help me I'm a student studying architecture, my site is in the centre of a dense urban block, and my proposal consists of the erection of three separate buildings with the main focus being on a central public space.

I have heard of a process of cooling an external space naturally through a method of a COOLING PIT, however I am unable to find any information that relates to this is there anyone that could help me with my research?

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thank you

Tim

Apr 1, 12 4:16 pm

not sure what a "cooling pit" is, but i would assume that it has to do with evaporative cooling, so try googling that... by the way, evaporative cooling really only works well in warm, dry climates...

Apr 1, 12 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

it's basically an outdoor cool tower in a sunken area...only seen it done once..

Apr 2, 12 12:17 am  · 
 · 
go do it

this is the one i was looking for

http://www.cais-soas.com/CAIS/Architecture/wind.htm

Apr 2, 12 12:57 am  · 
 · 
3tk

Looked into "natural" geothermal cooling in the middle east at one point.  Basically using the "constant temperature" of the soil to cool buildings using wind to suck air out from below: you'll need a lot of mass and extended heat exchange time to make it work well.

Apr 2, 12 11:27 am  · 
 · 
timothyrushton

Hello everyone,

Thank you for the comments they are fantastic and very helpful with some good examples, you have all really helped me out.

tim

Apr 2, 12 2:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: