Archinect
anchor

ARCHITECTURE MOVIES

modularnyc

I want to create a list of architecture related movies. Can you guys help? This is what i have so far (what i own)

My Architect and Frank Lloyd wright.

Anybody know of any other dvds, either documentaries or movies related to architecture?

Aug 30, 06 9:56 pm
misterTT

there's the obvious new entry sketches of frank gehry (I haven't seen it though)

wasn't there a film on corbusier back in the day?

Aug 30, 06 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
misterTT

oop..I guess no corbusier movie since 1957, according to imdb...but some others, maybe

Oscar Niemeyer, un architecte engagé dans le siècle (2000)
urbanscapes (2006) on urban renewel and decay in america....
Peter Eisenmann: making architecture move (1995)

there are some hour long docs about zaha, carlo scarpa, coop himmelblau, etc

Aug 30, 06 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
Schnurrbart

Jeff Kipnis's "A Constructive Madness"

Aug 30, 06 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
hobbitte
Jasmax

is hosting another film festival this year for all you architecture film junkies in New Zealand!

Aug 30, 06 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Start here, then follow vado's first post advice to start there. On one of those threads I gave a cranky response, for which I apologize now.

(And that raises another comment, to digress to vocabulary for a moment: I always use the term "cranky" as an equivalent to "grumpy", though I guess I only have gay male friends who ever refer to themselves as "cranky". My straight male friends say they are "pissed off" to describe what I would call cranki- or grumpiness. So I don't mean to imply anything particularly female about my grumpy moods here. Digression over.)

Except my crankiness on the movie thread relates to something I still feel is important on these threads: it is more helpful to offer reasons why you think a movie is "architectural" or a beer good or a website funny or whatever rather than just to list them with no description. Second digression over.

There was also this thread about Netflix movies that relate to architecture.

There is a movie called "Building Heavan, Remembering Earth: Confessions of a Fallen Architect" which certainly sounds incredibly evocative...but I turned it off after about 7 minutes, it was awful. My mother in law, bless her heart, gave it to me: a sweet thoughtful gesture, but ugh. If anyone actually saw it and liked it please tell me and I'll try to suffer through the first 7 minutes again to get to the good parts.

And while looking for that DVD case to remember the title I found a DVD copy of Rendevous - I had no idea we owned that! I'd say it has an urban aspect, if not particularly building-centri.

Aug 30, 06 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

There's one I liked about Siza that was shown here in Boston last year as part of a series of Architects on Film. I bet somewhere there's a list of the other movies they showed, too.

The Siza one was good because they walked around a few of his projects together and he explained why he did what he did, which is pretty much the single most interesting thing you can learn about a good piece of architecture, if you ask me.

Aug 30, 06 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

1987 movie tragi-drama genre

http://www.screenselect.co.uk/images/products/0/22840-large.jpg

Aug 31, 06 1:22 am  · 
 · 
broccolijet

Thanks to the other threads on this topic, I recently saw "A Strong, Clear Vision" about Maya Lin. What impressed me most about her as a person is the strength of character she displayed at such a young age while having to face her detractors (re: the Vietnam War Memorial). It's one thing to have a lousy crit or a sour design review, but when naysayers are that emotionally bonded to the result where they're questioning not only the validity of the work, but the heritage of the artist...man, that's a heavy load for a college kid. Definitely a good watch.

Also have to endorse recommendations here for the "Architectures" series (especially for the segment on Zumthor's baths) and I.M. Pei (he seems like such a naturally happy fella).

Thanks for all the great ideas folks!

Aug 31, 06 1:37 am  · 
 · 
Marlin

...film links and other points of interest on this thread....it includes your Siza film, as well as links to films on Gehry, Corb, Charreau...the bulk of the "Architectures" series and others dug up on Google video...

Woody Harrelson was an archintect in "Indecent Proposal." He gives a speech about the power of the brick, lifted from Louis Kahn's archival footage used in "My Architect"

Aug 31, 06 1:48 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

yeah the belly of an architect....greenaway

maybe THE MATRIX revolutions and "the architect"???

Aug 31, 06 3:01 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

This is also a good one..not related with arch. but good one time watch .

"Deconstructing Harry "

--*ing Woody Allen

Aug 31, 06 5:34 am  · 
 · 
Jucfel

Brazil (first released on February 20, 1985) is a dystopic black comedy feature film directed by Terry Gilliam.

Set "somewhere in the 20th century" at 8:49PM, the retro-futuristic world of Brazil is a gritty urban hellhole patched over with cosmetic surgery and "designer ducts for your discriminating taste"; it appears to be almost post-apocalyptic in nature.

Aug 31, 06 10:17 am  · 
 · 
Jucfel

Metropolis is an early silent science fiction/fantasy film created by the famed Austrian director Fritz Lang. Produced in Germany during the brief years of the Weimar Republic and released in 1927, it was the most expensive silent film of the time, costing approximately 7 million reichsmark (equivalent to around $200 million in 2005) to make.

Aug 31, 06 10:18 am  · 
 · 
misterTT

don't forget bladerunner....i've seen that brought up for reference in many design crits

Aug 31, 06 10:23 am  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

try this one on for size.

An article from yesterday's SF Chronicle about "Hot" architects of whom Hollywood can't seem to get enough.

Aug 31, 06 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

It's some strange karma that breaking & entering -- a suspense film about a landscape architect in london -- will be released the same week I'm moving there ...

Sep 1, 06 3:04 am  · 
 · 
Gabe Bergeron

Fun article mightylittle

"one of the last manly professions"! but we are "now seen as just ordinary folk, kind of a hack or bumbler."

Sep 1, 06 10:18 am  · 
 · 
cloak and dagger

not spot on...but influence, some favs

minority report
dune
yeah "brazil" is sweet
dogville
did someone mention the fountainhead?

Sep 1, 06 10:49 am  · 
 · 
cloak and dagger

ooo...labyrinth

Sep 1, 06 10:50 am  · 
 · 
emaze

and remember "mon oncle" (1958) by Jacques tati!

Sep 1, 06 11:21 am  · 
 · 
ochona

come on, y'all. you're missing the absolute best architecture movie ever.

Sep 1, 06 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

"Antonio Gaudi"

Sep 2, 06 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
joearch8

how about The Fountainhead starring Gary Cooper as Howard Roark? Oldie but a goodie....

Sep 4, 06 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

DARK CITY

Sep 5, 06 5:59 am  · 
 · 
wast(ed)ucation

anyone here familiar with Torrents (file sharing) concept if yes well then u can have a look at www.torrentspy.com n search for Architecture , there are videos to download from a series consisting of 23 episodes on different architects as well as styles.

eg. calatrava, flw, corbusier, libeskind, pompidou centre, family housing , etc.

Sep 5, 06 10:14 am  · 
 · 
coquette

Aeon Flux, the movie was filmed in Berlin, but was originally supposed to be filmed in Brasilia. Cheezy, but good eye-candy.

Keanu Reeves plays an architect in The Lake House...hahah

Sep 6, 06 11:16 am  · 
 · 
Queen of England

Mr Blandings Builds His Dream Home (1948)

If you know someone itching to build a house, show them this movie.

Sep 6, 06 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
jonjonthephenmnn

i second Labyrinth....David Bowie is the shit!!!! poofy hair and tights!!! oh ya the architecture in the movie make it good too....it contains some intriguing urban spaces (the bog of stink) that an "ordinary" person would never pick up on....hahaha i love that movie too much!!

Sep 6, 06 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

Idiocracy - Mike Judge's new movie - highly highly recommended

in the future, Costco is as big as a city. It looks like Rem's voluntary prisoner's project.

Sep 6, 06 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

Sep 6, 06 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

[img]http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/68/03/21/10m.jpg[img]

Sep 6, 06 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

anyways... trying to post an image of a cover for the movie; a fat vitruvian man.

Sep 6, 06 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
NiEv
Sep 7, 06 1:07 am  · 
 · 
c

tarkovsky - not that his films are about architecture, but watch them and you 'll know what i mean - esp. the Stalker and Nostalgia

Sep 8, 06 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
coquette

check out the trailer for this amazing animation short called Moving Illustrations of Machines:

http://www.canopusprojects.com/miom.htm

it is amazing!

Sep 8, 06 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
tsquare

Rashomon (1950)
Waking Life (2001)
Hiroshima Mon Amour (1959)

Sep 25, 06 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
tsquare

The Hudsucker Proxy (1994)

Sep 25, 06 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
My Father, The Genius
Sep 26, 06 12:57 am  · 
 · 

ugh, orhan. that looks too true/depressing:

When estranged father, dreamer, and visionary architect Glen Howard Small bequeaths his daughter the task of writing his biography, she answers instead with a provocative film about his precarious career and thorny private life. At 31, Glen Small, founder and faculty member of the internationally acclaimed Southern California Institute of Architecture, was a rising star. At 61, he can barely pay his bills. In My Father, The Genius, filmmaker Lucia Small digs deep to explore the delicate tension between her father's obligations to family and his life-long passion to "save the world through architecture."

Sep 26, 06 7:32 am  · 
 · 

it is depressing steven...

update is pretty good though;
glen has just started teaching at u of oregon, eugene. he told me he was planning on giving each student a glue gun the first day instead of doing computer modeling, they'll probably do futuristic looking physical models and learn a lot...

Sep 26, 06 12:01 pm  · 
 · 

it is a great film nevertheless. lucia is a very talented filmmaker.

Sep 26, 06 12:02 pm  · 
 · 

the film is edited by the same person who edited pollack's frank gehry film.

Sep 26, 06 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I just remembered a movie called "Hands on a Hardbody" which is a documentary of a contest in which 20 people have to stand touching a Nissan Hardbody truck, last one standing wins the truck. It was a very well-made film and excrutiatingly painful, as a veteran of too many charettes to recall, to watch these people approach twenty-some hours of standing up (they did get toilet breaks) in pursuit of a goal. Lots of studio parallels.

Sep 26, 06 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

How is OldBoy an architecture movie?

Sep 26, 06 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Sorry, make that eighty-some hours of touching a truck.

Apparently the dealership stopped the contest in 2005 when one of the contestants killed himself halfway trhough. Yikes.

Sep 26, 06 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
studiojunkee

The Passenger, an old Jack Nicholson.
Towering Inferno, cheesy but archie as hero in the flames. Great old stuff.
There's a German movie that some like, me not so much, but it's actually just called The Architects.

Sep 26, 06 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

"hands on a softbody" yes 80 hours of me touching myself!!!

Sep 26, 06 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
oe

Hello, My Name Is:
Colin

I live in beautiful:
Boston, MA

I was born in the year of our lord:

A drink Sir/Madam?
Black Russian, thanks

So, where have you been all my life?
Vermont, Rhode Island, Quebec, Bahamas, Italy, Spain, India,

Who is your favorite person in the whole wide world?
My girl Sammy, easy-peasy,

And your favorite space in the world?
Mt Neelkanth, India

Favorite architect/designer? Project?
Douglas Darden, Tomba Brion,

Building material?
Slab cast white bronze, Oh folk art museum, you sexy, sexy thing,

Musician/group/composer?
Ive been going through a bit of a Mars Volta phase,..

Arteest?
Richard Serra, yea.

Movie? Director?
Maybe, 12 monkeys? Wes Anderson? Is that all?

Yea, enough of that.What is your most absurd idiosincricy?
Christ. Where to begin. I cant eat purple food. Thats pretty bad.

What is the strangest/most mind-expanding/paranormal experience youve ever had?
In india I met a man who's eyes you could see with your eyes closed, like a pair of galaxies burned into your eyelids,..

If you could punch anyone in the world in the face, who would it be?
Oh for the longest time it would have been Bill Gates, but then he had to go and do all that great stuff in africa. Dick Cheyney probably. Him or the Enzyte guy.

If you were held captive on an alien ship, standing before a console with two buttons, one that would erase every human being on earth, the other that would erase every non-human organism on earth (sans some terrible edible alge so the humans would live... smartass...) and you were told that all life on earth would be erased if you didnt pick a button in five seconds, which button would you push?
Sorry bambi,...

Et tu, Brutus?

Sep 26, 06 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
oe

Ahhh fuck. Ignore....

They need an edit/delet post function on this board. Seriously.

Sep 26, 06 11:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: