anchor

ARCHITECTURE MOVIES

modularnyc

This one is great

link

Oct 3, 06 8:37 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i just saw gondry's "science of sleep" and i'm pretty sure he got a thesis prize from an architecture jury for his efforts

Oct 3, 06 9:00 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

hasn't anybody seen gondry's science of sleep yet? that guy's movies remind me so much of arch school.

i also feel that beetlejuice was one of the best architecture movies ever

Oct 6, 06 1:41 am  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

he he puddles, apparently you weren't trying to be sarcastic.. peace out man

Oct 6, 06 2:09 am  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

there's a movee about i.m. pei, corbu, louis i khan, etc

Oct 6, 06 2:10 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Just watched Sketches of Gehry on PBS, was Julian Schnabel the inspiration for The Dude? He was wearing a bathrobe during his interview and nursing a drink, unfortunately it wasn't a white Russian.

vado Leboski related post in 5, 4, 3, ....

And to actually contribute to the topic:
There's a new Criterion edition of Tati's Playtime out. I think it has some new bits talking about how Tati built a couple of functioning buildings and an entire cityscape just for the movie.

Oct 6, 06 4:26 am  · 
 · 
nash34

debbie does dishes

Oct 6, 06 4:44 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I think Julian Schnabel has become my new idol. I cracked up when, above him drinking a scotch in a white bathrobe having a smoke with dark glasses on, at one point when they are interviewing him he is sitting in a giant throne-like chair! That guy is great.

Oct 6, 06 9:02 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

3,2,1...the architecture of the dude

Oct 6, 06 9:42 am  · 
 · 
nicky chang

Il Mare, the original Korean super-slow but certainly beautiful romance (sci-fi?!) movie about this architect ... er i'll stop here. everyone's watched the american adaptation The Lake House... I still like the Korean version better though.

Oct 6, 06 11:17 am  · 
 · 
bothands

Just watched The Lake House on DVD -- yikes, not good for us. What's the deal with how they (and many movies) portray architecture as such a sappy, dated, lame-ass endeavor? cheasy watercolor renderings, drawing on oak drafting tables, going on about light and naming your firm Visionary Vanguard?

Oct 9, 06 3:34 am  · 
 · 
24-7tecture

'the rural studio'

Oct 22, 06 4:16 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

the girlfriend( played by the oh so gorgeious jackie bisset ) in bullitt, is works in an architects office. the scenes were filmed in an archi's office in san fran and they used the actual staff as extras in the scene. in the special features mcqueen talks about how the actors were shown how to use slide rules. might as well show thechase!!!

Oct 22, 06 10:57 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

i've recently become obsessed with Hiroshima Mon Amour. And though I don't really agree that it is an "architecture movie" outside of the fact that one of the leads is an architect and there are a few nice shots of some architecture, it really is a fabulous existe4ntialist film.

Oct 22, 06 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Vado I always thought Ali Mcgraw played in that movie with Steve Mac Queen.

Oct 22, 06 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

"Dirty Filthy Love"

About an OCD architect with tourettes syndrome.

Oct 22, 06 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
e909
http://www.google.com/search?q=Proposition+indecent%7C+demi+|+redford+

Woody Harrelson

Oct 22, 06 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
e909

do ambitious sets qualify?

Oct 22, 06 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
e909

{smurf=demon} harrelson. got the title, wrong. which is why i didn't find it already posted here. {/smurf}

Oct 22, 06 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

ali mcgraw was in the getaway...

Oct 22, 06 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke
The Getaway

was filmed in San Antonio and Huntsville, Texas. Sam Peckinpah rules.

Oct 23, 06 8:08 am  · 
 · 
a-f

- Here we are in a neighborhood of mostly senior citizens. Planners design so-called low-cost housing. Flats meant for young people, for newlyweds setting up house, for workers, for housewives, and maybe even the unemployed. It's all part of the district renewal plan that aims to bring old folks out of isolation by mixing them with the working population.

It's a great idea, but what I don't like is-- and here's the rub -- how can you design low-cost housing projects in total disregard for aesthetics? I can't accept that, I'm sorry. They thought of planting Japanese cherry trees along the lanes, see? In the style of English beach resorts. A truly grand idea, but did they do it? Did they do it?

- No.

- Yes, they did. But they didn't follow through! That's the shame of it.
It was purely cosmetic. Just to dazzle them, and people fell for it. I followed it all, I saw how far their bright ideas went. What do you notice at first glance? What stands out? The red bricks! What's red bring to mind? Red is the color of blood, of Indians! It's the color of violence! And the scourge of society --as everybody agrees-- is violence.

So why the red bricks?

Red is also the color of wine... It's all about palm-greasing,
dirty politicians and wheeling and dealing. It pains me.
Wherever you take your camera... Folks would love to stop and say,

""What a lovely flower bed, what powerful asymmetry!''

""What a beautiful red hue of brick.''

But they never get the chance. Instead they sit in front of their TV sets.

If I'd been asked to design that kind of a layout, I'd have planned
ground-level homes with spacious lawns, a bit like Frank Lloyd Wright, in the style of Japanese houses. Despite their faults,
those people sure know how to live! You know, emphasizing aesthetics is one thing, stressing the functional is another. Those guys overemphasize the functional, unlike people like Gaudi, who had a magnificent architectural style, a very organic style, forms that grow out of nowhere. Or Horta who did such fabulous things, those great whiplash effects!"

Man Bites Dog

Oct 23, 06 9:00 am  · 
 · 
French

" a la frank lloyd tu vois?"

Oct 23, 06 9:24 am  · 
 · 
tman

I can't believe you guys forgot TRON!

Oct 23, 06 9:43 am  · 
 · 
tman

can't believe you guys forgot TRON!

Oct 23, 06 9:43 am  · 
 · 
tman

I can't believe you guys forgot TRON!

Oct 23, 06 9:44 am  · 
 · 

A Special Edition of Alfred Hitchcock's 1954 classic Rear Window is being released this weekend. The movie features James Stewart as a comfined photographer who turns to his neighbours for voyeuristic pleasure, this turns tragic when he witnesses the apparent murder of his neighbour

Oct 25, 08 5:18 pm  · 
 · 

Rem Koolhaas: a kind of architect, by arte edition... good extras, including some assistant holding a shaky dv cam whilst rem and jaques herzog and the guy who runs those cool hotels sit in a private jet reading newspapers and looking for the stash of coffee...

Out There: the making of the biennale (2008) by Marsilio: much better value than the multi-volume souvenir 'book' in the clear acrylic briefcase.

Koolhaas again: Lagos Wide & Close, by submarine DVD, but haven't watched more than a bit of it yet...

Michelangelo Antonioni (who, I think, along with most of the Italian population, trained as an architect): La Notte is a fabulously architectural film, in terms of its set-pieces and cinematography

Jean Luc Godard: Le Mepris ('Contempt') features both the spectacular Casa Malaparte in Capri and Brigitte Bardot

Oct 25, 08 7:34 pm  · 
 · 

Learning from Bob & Denise, an upcoming documentary on the architecture and ideas of Robert Venturi and Denise Scott Brown

Oct 25, 08 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

City of God, aka Cidade de Deus, aka God's Town, was directed by Fernando Meirelles, who studied Architecture

Oct 26, 08 10:24 am  · 
 · 

Received my copy of Kipnis' 'A Constructive Madness' this morning... as posted by Jeff himself.
It's great! A real in-depth look at inspiration and, of course, an intelligent voice-over, narrated by none other than Jeremy Irons, which is pretty classy. Goodness knows where all the footage comes from. That someone was standing with a video camera at the exact moment the client is told his house is going to cost $80M is rather curious and yet it looks genuine enough. And some of the footage goes way back, featuring Philip Johnson.
Glad to see the flock-of-birds and Jimi Hendrix get a look-in too.

Nov 5, 08 2:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: