Archinect
anchor

The girl downstairs

mdler

So...

I live in an old house (in LA) that has been divided into 4 seperate apartment units. About a month ago, a new girl moved in downstairs to start grad school. Being from NYC, she doesn't really know anyone in LA (nor does she know the city).

Since her arrival, she and I have been hanging out all the time. I have been showing her the city, she has been making me dinner, we go to shows, etc...

In the past two years that I have lived in LA, I have not met anyone that I get along with and enjoy spending my time with as much as her. I dont know if this is just because we are both around each other in 'non-date-like' enviroments, or what???

She is cute, sweet, smart, funny, and likes powertools (which is a plus in my book)

We have both been flirty with each other...

My question - is the fact that she lives literally 10' away from me too close for comfort???

Please advise

Mdler

Aug 30, 06 12:41 pm

shouldn't this go in dear abra?

my experience in a similar situation is not one on which i would want to base any advice.

Aug 30, 06 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
Josh Emig

Sounds like things are going great. Go with it. Don't over analyze.

Besides, if you do develop a romantic relationship and things go bad, what's a little awkward silence in the hallway going to matter on top of the awkwardness of breaking up in the first place.

Is this the type of advice you were looking for?

Aug 30, 06 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

mdler, here are few questions i'd ask;

*is her apartment bigger and better than yours?
*is her apartment directly below yours?
*if yes, is it possible to put a bootlegged opening/ladder between the two, thus bigger and better apt with 2 of everything? (re; power tool connection)
*does she have better furniture, kitchen utensils, etc.?

if above checks affirmative, this is a match made made in haven. go for it.
otherwise, bite the bullet and go for it.

Aug 30, 06 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

Similar situation for me a few years back. It was fantastic (and super-convienient) until things went south... in a big way. After that it was a nightmare - obsessed with wether she had new guys in there, was her car gone in the morning from the night before, did I say the right thing passing her, interrogation by her as to where I was the night before, etc....

That being said, go for it! If things don't work out, you'll probably have a good friend out of it. If things get ugly just move...

Aug 30, 06 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

go for it, man. I don't care WHAT your housing market is like, women are harder to find than apartments. Good ones, that is.

Aug 30, 06 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

my apartment rocks...

Aug 30, 06 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

but you could prolly design (and more importantly, build) a better one!

Aug 30, 06 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

i agree that good women are harder to find than good apartments.
and if you breakup and are both mature about it then things don't
need to be awkward afterwards...it's difficult but doable, especially
if it's a mutual decision...however, worrying about how bad the
possible breakup will be before starting a relationship is probably
the worst way to go about it.

look on the other side..if you guys hit it off and move in together it's
the shortest move EVER.

i think i wouldn't press it and just let things take their course...
although i might start including two to seven bottles of wine with
dinner.

Aug 30, 06 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

go for it. she sounds hot. if you've been hanging out a lot anyway, why does it matter that she lives so close to you? just define the boundaries...make her go home to brush her teeth, don't let her 'conveniently' leave her toothbrush in your bathroom. once she starts moving her stuff in slowly, then you're in trouble ;)

Aug 30, 06 2:29 pm  · 
 · 

It could be one of those moments from an old B&W movie... long, chaste-but-flirty courtship reaches a pause as their gaze intensifies one dark night in the rain by her front door...
Of course she'll slap you and activate one of those SOS sirens.

Aug 30, 06 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

it doesn't rain in LA

Aug 30, 06 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
Oana S.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Aug 30, 06 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

Yeah, what the hell... I think you two should have that second child.

Aug 30, 06 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

hahaha...i say u dont even have to ask what to do guy....
there's this saying in spanish, and maybe living in L.A. u already have heard this: el corazon de un hombre se gana por el estomago....

so if she cooks for u... D U D E, why u even ask what to do??

Aug 30, 06 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Go for it.

Aug 30, 06 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

I would take it very slowly - actually, I wouldn't, but I would regret the outcome, hence my advice - since she's new in town and doesn't know anyone else, plus is probably too busy w/grad school to meet anyone else, it's possible that the relationship is developing this way for convenience... not to say it might not work out or that there isn't a real connection, but it would suck to find out she isn't really that into you but didn't quite realize it because she was lonely or excited about the 'newness' of it all. neither of you are moving anytime soon, so why not hold off a bit making things more 'serious', and if it comes to her asking you what gives you can explain your fears about living so close, things maybe going wrong, that you like her so much you'd rather let the friendship develop first...

Aug 30, 06 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
Sughar

M - I say go for it. Even if it turns out that a relationship is not for the two of you, you say she is as great and hopefully, you two would be able to ride through that and still remain cordial. Just take it slow.

Aug 30, 06 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

"... long, chaste-but-flirty courtship reaches a pause as their gaze intensifies one dark night in the smog by her front door.."

of course her front door is your front door so the whole thing is kind of
moot.

Aug 30, 06 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
AP

yes, the way to a man's heart is the stomach. I know this one well.

sounds like you're having fun already, mdler. go for it.

I 2nd extra bottle(s) of wine at dinner to expedite the process.

Aug 30, 06 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Go for it mdler,

Just get her to sign an agreement that she will move out of the block if things turn pear shaped ; )

Aug 30, 06 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

hey..just realized it's hump day...

Aug 30, 06 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

why dont I ever get this many responses to an architecture related question???

Thanks for the advice, BTW

Aug 30, 06 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I don't even know what my neighbors look like! I know what time they get up, when they shower, when they do laundry, vacuum etc, but couldn't pick them out of a line-up.

Aug 30, 06 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

mdler, the architecture-related questions are too hard, they require actual intellectual energy which not everyone has all the time.

The relationship adive is easy!

Aug 30, 06 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
tman

sounds like love is in the air...or at least a movie moment.

Go for it!

Aug 30, 06 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
asauer

I hope she isnt an archinecter!!!!!!

Aug 30, 06 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
bUbBLe

go for it, you have nothing to lose..

Aug 30, 06 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I'm trying to envision your perfect woman, mdler. You totally need to go for it though. This is, after all, the Summer of Love. And by my calendar we still have 3 weeks.....

Aug 31, 06 12:21 am  · 
 · 
A

I hereby request a new Archinect Topic for Dating/Realitionship Advice. Tell Dr. Phil to piss up a rope.

We could also include a topic for Life Decisions for posts about having kids, changing careers, etc.

Archinect - your one stop shop for answers to all of your questions.

Aug 31, 06 10:16 am  · 
 · 
Pimpanzee

If you don't go for it, and she starts dating somone else, think of hwo shitty you'll feel seeing her come and go with another dude.
You'll have to turn up your TV while they are making love.
Man-Up and Take her now before someone else does.
By the way, how long is Your/Her lease?
There is always an out if it doesn't work.
You will likely get stuck helping her move....
Alot of things to consider.
Hope that helps man.

Aug 31, 06 10:28 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

I second that. Alternatively take a days leave midweek from your studies or career and catch up with those who always offer helpful advice.

Aug 31, 06 10:43 am  · 
 · 
Queen of England

Mdler -

get on your knees and propose RIGHT NOW, while she still thinks 'architect' is a good thing.

Aug 31, 06 11:57 am  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

great point, queen of england...but what do you do when the girl realizes that you're not as rich as she thought, causing her to sleep with her boss, kicking you out of the house, leaving you with nothing, evenutally causing you to live in a van down by the river?

keep us posted, mdler, and good luck!

Aug 31, 06 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
Jrocc

Don't do it unless you planning on moving soon. My roommate learned the hard way. Dont s**t where you eat, as the saying goes.

Aug 31, 06 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
sunshine

this is soooo romantic. i just moved into a new apartment & wish there were a boy in the building to help me get to know the neighborhood.

(sigh)

don't over anaylze it. just let it happen & good luck.

btw - this is my first post ever here at archinect. hello everyone.

Aug 31, 06 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
m

I agree, careful banging the neighbor. it's hell if things go south. and really akward when she just decides to stop by when your girlfriend is over.

Aug 31, 06 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Old Chinese Proverb: Don't show her your chordless power tools until she is good and ready....cause you con't want to run down the battery.

Aug 31, 06 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

SNOOKER,

CORDED ONLY FOR THE MDLER

Aug 31, 06 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

go for it
if things go south
she will be the first one to move out
its all good

Aug 31, 06 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

don't do it. don't do it. don't do it.

Sep 1, 06 1:52 am  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

don't do it because it sounds like the beginning of just another LA Noir story

-
blagh dahlia

Sep 1, 06 2:02 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

mdler. I agree with lateral and snooker, Dont do it.

Confucius say.. man who pounce on mysterious hen, will end up with limp cock

Sep 2, 06 9:47 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Just be sure her apartment isn't filled with Jesus stuff .... if so, run away. Far away.

Sep 2, 06 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

You also want to be sure she doesn't collect those ceramic figurines....she might be hiding them in drawers....

Sep 2, 06 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

so has anything ________?

Nov 6, 06 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

met someone else...

Nov 6, 06 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
kyll

well thats that with that

wait - you or her..

Nov 6, 06 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

me

Nov 6, 06 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

bummer for her mdler...

Nov 6, 06 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

she gets to listen to sweet love makin all night long...

Nov 7, 06 6:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: