Archinect
anchor

How do you get the responsibilties you want?

Reason

I'm a bit frustrated. I just finished my project and it's on bid now. I worked very intensely last two weeks, no lunch breaks, working late. But now I suddenly don't have much to do. I talked with the principal about their scheduling before I finished my project. But they seem never figure it out. They said they are so busy and keep hiring people, but I can't believe they don't really fully use the resource they already have. I kept asking them, and end up with some small task like sketch up models or even build physical models. Because the summer intern helping doing it took two days off. I couldn't believe it and was pissed. I'm licensed architect with 8-10 years experiences filling position of a summer intern? They can do much better and quicker model and cheaper too. I want work, but not crappy things to kill time. I still have addenda to work on. I will be on vacation in less than a week. It seems they won't have any thing fun for me to do before that.

I talked with each principal to express my intention to become project manager. I did the last project myself, coordinate 10 different disciplines of consultants, did it on time, get permit without any comment on architecture. I think I'm ready to become project manager. I like to learn and I'm a quick leaner. I'm not sure why they are not that supporting. I am still not sure what their plan is yet. If they don't have project for me to manage or even partially after I come back, maybe I should think about find some other places. But it's such waste of time of my 1 year hard work, I have start all over again.
Any good suggestions on how do you approach principals to get more responsibilities and grow to be the position you want to be? I would really appreciate your response. Thank you!

Aug 25, 06 3:04 pm
modularnyc

You demand it, then once in position, you prove that you can do it. I dont see why they wont give it to you unless you are too young and unproven.

Bottom line, if you want something, you have to deman it, for your own professional development.

Aug 25, 06 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
AP

wanna move to Jacksonville?

Aug 25, 06 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
kissy_face

sounds like you work at a large corporate firm. With 8-10 years experience you shouldn't be standing around asking for busy work.

Aug 25, 06 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
word!

find a new job, get a raise

Aug 25, 06 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

wanna move to LA?

Aug 25, 06 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
cln1

Reason - you need to tell the principles straight out, or get out of that firm. How is it that you are a licensed architect and do not have PM experience?

You say that you have been at your current firm for over 1 year, where did you work before? what were your experiences there?

I dont know how the market is wherever you are located, but from what I see, most mid to large firms with a steady work flow would jump at the chance to have another licensed architect on staff.

Time for you to get out there, or maybe do some side work - hell if you have the stamp, why not? there should be nothing stopping you.

Aug 25, 06 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
modularnyc

wow wow wow, missed that part, you are licensed? and 8 years experience?

my advice, get out of there, or you will end up like the stapler guy from Office Space

Aug 25, 06 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
Reason

The firm I worked for before is smaller, 10-12 people. There isn't a PM position. I do my own project with the principal, not large skill and it's not as systmatic at this firm. This one is a little bit bigger 30-40 people.
I plan to do some side work. Haven't started yet, with little kid at home, hard to find after work. ALso most are house addition, not really fun. I may do my own house addition and do something interesting there.

Aug 25, 06 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
xray

reason, like others have told you - demand it.
one way of doing it would be to ask for a serious talk with one of the principals and tell him/her that you are interested in promotion, which includes a raise and more responsibility to justify it. meaning you are willing to assume the responsibility of a project manager. explain that if this position will not be given to you (sometime in the near future) "you do not see your future with the firm". bosses usually can read the subtext. if they don't let you move up, you will have to move out, which in this case seems like the right thing to do anyways.
and a small tip - don't do this now while you are NOT busy with a project.

Aug 25, 06 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
some person

1. Be careful what you ask for - you may just get it.

2. Take initiative. (I think this has been discussed in other threads but addressed to more junior people than you.) Find out if the firm is pursuing a new project. Get on that team as soon as possible so that you can build a relationship with the potential client. If the PIC is too busy to handle the coordination, step in and do it yourself. If the firm wins the job, be proactive with the client - don't wait for the PIC to direct you to do certain things. If your experience is as good as describe, you should know "what comes next" and be able to fill-in with little or no supervision from the PIC. Keep track of the tasks you perform that fall under "project manager" rather than "project architect" so that you will have back-up if they are unwilling to give you a raise/promotion.

3. If you are still working on the addendum and are planning vacation soon, why are you so worried about the work you are doing for the few days when you will have free time? Perhaps the firm has a plan for when you return - why would they start you on a brand new project if you aren't able to devote yourself to it?

Aug 25, 06 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
take initiative!
Aug 25, 06 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
Reason

DCA, Thanks for your advice. I'm not asking them to give a project right now. But they seem don't have a plan on what will be my next project yet. So I talked with a couple of principles and tell them I want to be a project manager for my next project and let them pay attention and find one for me when I'm back. At mean time, I still keep contact with a recruiter, so if I don't see prospective here, I will move on to a place where there are oppotunities. I just hate wasting time, and was disapointed by their lack of planning.

Aug 26, 06 1:04 am  · 
 · 
RL331

I feel what you are going through. Sometimes, the office may just be holding out a little as long as the project is in bid and construction could potentially start in a month. They may not want to divert you from that specific project in order for you to focus on the project you have been working on when it is actually in construction. It's a tough situation, I say give it another few weeks and see where this goes.

Aug 26, 06 10:39 am  · 
 · 
Olly

As a general rule, if the firm is hampering your growth, get out.

Aug 26, 06 10:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: